Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Contemplating a 36 Chevy build but need some advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Suprathepeg, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Suprathepeg

Suprathepeg
    from Canada

I have access to a 36 standard sedan that is pretty complete but the wood is shot and that is more than I can handle.

I'm thinking of building up the frame and drive train etc. Are there any aftermarket Fiberglass bodies available for that frame? I don't need fenders RRS just the tub, can be roadster, coupe or sedan...

2. I am not familiar with any. oem bodies are out there...

3. Suprathepeg

Suprathepeg
    from Canada

By OEM do you mean new manufacture or old ones?

4. Original Equipment

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hmm, didnt realize they were still using wood in 36, (wood minimal in these?) I knew they used it in previous years but never knew that.....Can you weld and replace the wood with metal? It would be a start with only a frame I guess but.....

6. 36 Tudor sedan I had a hundred years ago had lots of wood.

7. belair

belair

Chevys had lots of wood. Doors were hung in wood, etc. 37 was first year for all steel Chevys.

8. Funny thing when I read this, was I thought that 34 was the last year for the termite cars, then I remembered I brought a desert find, beat to hell 36 Chevy coupe home. Went out and looked, completely full of wood.

9. If you can't do woodwork pass on the sedan and look for a Ford around the same year. HRP

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I agree, those Fords make great Lawn Ornaments.:p:D

11. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

My first effort at a hot rod was a 35 Chev Master Roadster, almost identical to a 36 but had suicide doors, the thing was full of rotten wood, 90% of the wood was replaced by steel. I picked it up when I was 15yo and still at school (1977ish), I just liked the curvey shape. I am not sure if I would tackle some thing with so much wood these day. Although I still like the fat fender shape. The pic is around 82/83. A 35 Chev roadster.jpg
    Build what you will enjoy... sometimes that means more work...

HRK-hotrods likes this.
  12. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Framing the body structure in steel is relatively easy. Don't let the wood scare you. Check out the Termites and Bowties group on here. You will have a cool car when finished with a little extra effort.

13. '36 was the last year Chevrolet used wood for he body structure, and there are a few '36 cars that have steel doors (testing tings out for the '37 line).

14. .....and there are replacement wood kits you can purchase......so you dont have to be a carpenter at all....just swap out the old wood for new.