Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rodent repellent.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GTS225, Sep 19, 2016.

1. GTS225

GTS225

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Thanks. I'll be getting some of these. Once the weather gets cool the little varmints seek inside shelter!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  3. Slow down

Slow down

Save the $59.00 Bounce dryer sheets work great , mice hate them .

3340 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  4. subdajj

subdajj

what ever happen to dryer sheets

5. Tried that last fall, no rodents in the cars so far. I still trap though and kill a bunch every year, garage doors are not air tight.

6. I'm old fashioned, and use poison and traps.
    The trapped ones go in the fire.
    This product looks good though, and less mess.

7. I use glue traps and then torture them with lit cigarettes. The screams chase the lucky ones away.
    I'm kidding of course! I live trap them and let them go in Don's garage every Fall. He thinks its the weather that brings them in so don't say anything.;)

8. HA! I first thought this was a r**r** picture blocker.

Ned Ludd and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Look in your pant legs...

10. Slopok

Slopok

I heard cats work!;)

robracer1 likes this.
  11. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

My $.02 worth...I put the traps outside my garage doors, works great get 'em before they get in. Also, I don't keep any (food) trash in my shop, only empty beer cans.....that pisses them off.

lothiandon1940 and saltflats like this.
  12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I set a LOT of traps in and around the garage, and the traps that have the best kill rate are the all plastic ones that reset with just a push of a finger. I've used the old style spring traps that are a pain in the ass to set too. I got a couple of varmints with those, but the newer style all plastic version is by far superior. Another approach is the ultrasonic unit that plugs in to an outlet, that supposedly emits a sound that the mice don't like. I can't prove the effectiveness, but we had no mouse damage inside the garage last year, and most (not all) mice claimed by the traps were outside. Hoping for the same results this winter. The little bastards can be destructive, to say the least.

13. mice are a problem, if it works it is worth it.
    my cat gets "something" every day, sometimes more than one. mice, rats, moles, voles, chipminks, etc..... DSCF4723.JPG

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 5 gallon bucket with the plastic pop bottle suspended on a piece of welding rod or similar wire with peanut butter spread on the bottle and about five inches of water in the bottom will clean out a shed full of mice or in my case cellar full of mice in short order Someone on here suggested that and it works great. Stinks if you don't empty it out every couple of days and reload and reset it. The magpies love the free lunch out by the driveway.
    We live in a hundred year old house in the middle of a hay field and the mice do come around. My daughter found out that putting a bit of mint oil in the cabinets or other hideouts works great in keeping them.
    Our cat catches them and leaves them on the cardboard sheet I use to slide under the car I'm working on. Guess she wants to make sure I'm taken care of.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When its warm enough the snakes do a real good job.
    This magic stuff you posted do not talk about pets safe very much.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We got to see this.

17. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Try the same set-up using old prestone works great to keep the smell down also works to -34 deg. in the winter. LOL
    I make sure to bag the "leftovers" and put in the trash......don't want any secondary effects.

18. Pulled this one off the net
    iu.jpg

RODIST, jeffd1988, 302GMC and 2 others like this.
  19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

20. did try the bucket thing caught maybe two out of the gang that was in a shop /yard I bought.....there's some smart big rats out there.....and the fact you bring in an old car every now and then....my dogs are doing okay at the new place....get one every now and then....they'd get a cat if they had a chance......thanks for sharing - will try anything....once

21. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I use the bucket trap at my cabin in the woods. sometimes I get a bunch sometimes only one or two. but it doesn't require any maintenance (other than removing the mice).

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Is it only the Original Bounce like what works on Mosquitoes? Because original Bounce is unobtanium in these parts.

blackbeard40 likes this.
  23. Slow down

Slow down

I use any bounce the store has on sale , mice don't care they hate it all , and makes garage smell better . Don't know about mosquitoes, I like deet .

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

DO NOT USE POISON! Whatever ingests a dead (or almost dead) rodent that gets poisoned also gets poisoned. I have owls and hawks in my yard that do a great job of rodent control. If I do get one in the garage, I snap-trap it and put it in the yard for 'disposal'.

kiwijeff and Scott Mannion like this.
  25. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For years I've used Irish Spring soap and have not had any problems. I take four paper plates and carve a half bar on each plate. Then set one plate in the trunk, back seat, front seat, and on top of air cleaner. The sedan sits inside covered up all winter but no rodent trouble. Makes the car smell great in the spring. Wife says it even works great on the dirty rat behind the steering wheel!

26. a freind of mine Called from PA. to tell me about How to get
    rid of Mice.
    that was on TV its ..............Pepermint Oil, get some Cotton Balls soak
    them in the Pepermint Oil & put them around in the Car & Shop
    a 16 oz. bottle of it Cost $26. dollars
    Don't Buy the Extract only the oil
    since I just had my Front Seat Re-Upholsterd I didn't want them in the Car
    to eat the New Seat.!

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home.!

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Neighbor had a 5 gallon bucket filled about to 4" of top with water and a board ramp up to the rim..No can or peanut butter just some bird seed sprinkled on the water..

bobss396, Saxman and wraymen like this.
  28. hotrod428

hotrod428

I have been using Fresh Cab for the last couple years and it really works. I pay about $12 for a box of 4 . I put 1 pack in each car in the fall and change them every couple months when the scent goes away. I'm not sure how they work, they smell like a christmas tree. I've used dryer sheets in the past and they used them in their nest and I can't stand the smell of moth balls.

29. gatz

gatz

Years ago we had a "shop cat". It had six toes each front paw.
    Kept the shop free of mice as long as she was around.
    The shop had 17' high ceilings. Some birds would get in through open windows and nest up on the ledge where the Twin-T beams rested.
    One morning we were greeted at the front door by the (nameless) cat.
    She had caught one of the birds and was proudly showing it off.
    We could never figure out how she managed to do that.

30. slowmotion

slowmotion

Around here it's Downy dryer sheets. Used buy countless camper owners. Same concept as the Bounce users, but for some reason they swear by & use only Downy around here. I've done the bucket thing with ehh...results. Mothballs is king if you can stand the aroma.