Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOUTHEAST GASSERS "BRAND X" BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMIBERT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Thanks, I appreciate that. It's starting to come around finally. Next week at Clay City has gotten my hopes up really high. Shame it's taken so long, but that's racin. The people of the SEG are so supportive the work is nothing. Moonshiner Josh said it's like a family reunion where you play with cars!

2. glrbird

glrbird

[​IMG]
    New rubber can make you feel like a HERO! Hooks up now!

3. Oh wow - you're running drums in the front. Some old guy in the staging lanes was complaining about cars running discs. I said "How fast you think these cars are going down at the end of this old track?" ;) That track went down to 1 lane real quick after the finish. We should do some runs showing the times on the board :rolleyes:

4. Danny G

Danny G

The Studebaker has 1949 ford truck drums on the front and olds drums on the rear and stops real good and several people were surprised how well it stopped at Knoxville with that quick left turn

5. I've had no problems so far. Stock 9" Mopar a-body drums. Keep them adjusted and they have less rolling resistance than most discs, but then I'm nowhere near as fast as you!

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  6. Yes they do. When wife/crew chief says it's time for tires, you get tires!

7. That photo is thanks to Jason Cole of ColePhotography. He asked me what lane I'd be in, but I didn't think it would turn out like this!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

9. We are wound up. Had a long talk with Mother MOPAR and she learned me a few things. Clay City will be good for us. Bout time. Enough talk. Don't want to jinks things.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Momma knows Best :)

11. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Jason has a fb page where he posts a link to all the pics he takes at the events he attends. There are a bunch of killer shots from Brainerd. He is an outstanding photographer. Oh yea, you can purchase them too

12. Thanks. I saw them, I really liked them, I bought them. Yes, he does do excellent work. Very reasonable priced and great shipping. I need to get hooked up with more of the photographers I see at all the races. I'm sure I could buy some from them too.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  13. Car ran best it has this year. Hooks great, goes straight, but Mother Mopar needs to take the driver out to the shed--I let her down today. W'ell do better at Myrtle Beach.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    AHotRod, Zak Hall and loudbang like this.
  14. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

I have a buddy who runs a 1961 Falcon with drums. He is in the mid 120s, mph wise. He is just starting to get to where he isn't comfortable with how its stopping. It can be done. If we just ran 1/8th mile i would try it on mine, but unfortunately in the North, most of the tracks are Quarter, and i don't want to try this at 140+

loudbang likes this.
  15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I've gone 138 in the quarter with mine and 4 wheel drums but it has enough wind resistance that you really only need to let off the throttle and the air stops it.....lol.

OahuEli, enloe, Uncledirty616 and 2 others like this.
  16. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Here you go guys, my photo from Mt Park. SE FGassers 2 033.JPG

17. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Photo I took at MT Park this weekend. SE FGassers 2 005.JPG

T-roaster, kiwijeff, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  18. glrbird

glrbird

P9150031.jpg Back in the day, the shops would 'ARC' the shoes to fit the drum surface exactly. they worked fine with good material on the brake shoes.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    jvpolvere1, AHotRod, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

My front tube axle was made with 35' Willy's parts and the drums were way over size, and only half of the brake shoes were touching the drum's cause they were bowing a bit

By the third run in a row being they were getting hot it would take both feet to get her stopped

No trick lining for the brake shoes back then, kinda crazy but it all worked some how

DND

20. Thank you very much for the killer picture. I usually wind up running Rusty every race weekend, this time I ran him twice. The results are the same every time, but I'm gaining.

21. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I finally got to check out your car up close on Saturday. Nice handy work! I wanted to ask about the jack bolts, have you used them a lot? I was thinking of putting some in or just carrying a few sets of coils

22. If I had coils, I'd definitely have jack bolts! I've thought about changing to coils, collected the parts to do it, but just too much other stuff to sort out right now. It would be lighter and softer, I believe.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Oh, I should have looked closer!! What are these for?!
    IMG_20160910_171813.jpg

24. Is that on my car? If so, where? Sure looks like a jack bolt!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Lmao!! Now I'm confused, looking through th back window over the rear axle?! Are these your peadals?
    IMG_20160910_165906.jpg

26. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Maybe just maybe they were on Snake Bite. You guys were parked close together I think. Annnnnd, you two are the only ones with rear windows large enough to take that picture!!!

27. Yes, those are mine.

Higgy's Henry likes this.
  28. I think it was Snake Bite. We were next to each other. Glad to see he has them. I want to check his out.

loudbang and Higgy's Henry like this.
  29. Tested last night at Bristol. Seem to have the launch figured out! Now for the next 600 ft. BRISTOL.jpg

T-roaster, kiwijeff, TFoch and 12 others like this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did the same thing wonder if we will make the commercial.

loudbang likes this.