Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Hillman Husky 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskyV8, Feb 28, 2014.

1. I just put a shroud in my Ford, I'll take some pictures, finished it late last night. The true test will be sitting in traffic. For you, it should help a lot.

2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Congrats on the grille and the shroud. May not seem like much, but that's good stuff!

3. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Here it is. Cost was $58.97 and had to modify the dimensions a bit to fit my car.

SUM-380458-SH
    Fan Shroud, Aluminum, Single Fan, 20.75 in. Height, 18.5 in. Width, 2.625 in. Thickness, Each
    (Mfr. #: SUM-380458-SH)

sum-380458-sh_xl.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    bchctybob, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  4. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I think it will help. I was pleased that when I idled it yesterday it brought it from 190 to 180. It only got to 190 because I had shut it off and let it sit a few minutes.

bchctybob, loudbang and Tanoki like this.
  5. This is the shroud I put in my Ford the other day, plastic from Summit with a GM part number, for a '66 Chevelle.
    914-025.JPG

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  6. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Hope it works for you.

7. A little late and not the best pics, here my 1952 Minx convertible. Still stock and rusty underneat but a Ford 302 is already waiting in another corner of my shed.

Hennie

Attached Files:

bchctybob likes this.
  8. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Wow looks to be in great shape. Interior looks original too. I love that color. That's going to be a fun one.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Prescott

Prescott

Do you think you could share the pattern you made for your alternator bracket? I could really use something like that for my hemi.

10. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Yes I'll be glad to share it if I can find it. It's a little cardboard piece that I made as a template. Will go look for it this weekend.

bchctybob, loudbang and Prescott like this.
  11. Prescott

Prescott

12. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I just went out and found it. Found the invoice too. Do you want to make your own? I've got a call in to the place that made mine to see if they have the image/shape on file. If they do they could crank another out.

Mine was done out of 3/4 aluminum and they water jet cut it out. I used a belt sander to smooth out that sharp bend and then polished it. I can't say if it would work on your alternator but it works perfectly with the Tuff Stuff alt I have.

I bought and tried about every alt bracket out there and none worked the way I wanted. The Hot Hemi Heads bracket was nice but would require that ugly braided stainless hose....and the belt is 59" long! Tried the mid and low mounts too but there was no room for them in my car.
    IMG_4736.JPG

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

BTTT, what was the outcome? I loved following the build and wondered how it turned out

loudbang, Chucky and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I've been enjoying it and taking it to local shows. Page 23 shows final pictures of the car. People usually walk by it and almost don't notice it until they look and see the engine. 9 times out of of 10 they say holy sh*t or something very similar.

For the most part the car is done. The suspension has settled so I might need to do an adjustment on the coilovers. It's fun to drive and I have yet to run in to another one.

Starting to gather parts for my next build which may be another Hillman with a V8-60.

minx 2.jpg

rod1, bchctybob, Unkl Ian and 7 others like this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Thanks, for some unknown reason photos wouldn't load yesterday on my PC but now they do. o_O

loudbang likes this.
  16. eldridge

eldridge
    from Kentucky

Evening. I have come into this late so this may have already been posted. Years ago in Hot Rod Magazine they had a feature article called "On a wing and a prayer" that featured a Hillman that was bad to the bone.

loudbang likes this.
  17. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Was that the Pete Chapouris car? There have been a bunch of Husky drag cars through the years. Here's another direction one might go.

lunar-duner-001.jpg

18. George

George

That happens a lot to us who have Hemis!

loudbang likes this.
  19. 73RR

73RR

Similar reply that folks had at Hot August Nights a few back regarding a VW bug with an EarlyHemi up front. Like you, they somehow managed to make it fit and look good.
    Good to hear that you are getting some miles on it.

20. George

George

saw a photo of one like that in Goodguys some years ago.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Let hear about the performance. Haul ass? Scare yourself and soil your britches yet?

22. 73RR

73RR

...I'd be expecting a 'Wild Willie Borsch' kinda ride....

loudbang, Thor1 and milwscruffy like this.
  23. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

It's a little scary for sure. Pedals are really close so you have to be careful. One other thing I found is that I'm not real happy with the gearing. With the 3.54's and wide ratio transmission I'm shifting sooner that I'd like to when coming of the line. If I'm cruising around town and leaving the stop light I have to grab for second before I'm even out of the intersection.

The chart below shows the different gear combos. The current set-up is on the right in the box. It shows the speeds giving at a certain RPM and RPM's at 40 and 65 MPH. For the kind of driving I do I think I need to be somewhere closer to the bottom of the chart.

RPM calculator.png

rod1, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  24. 73RR

73RR

....some guys have waaaaay too much free time.....:p

loudbang likes this.
  25. verde742

verde742

Gosh, How I do love this build !!!!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  26. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

We need more!!!

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

The 26.9” tire diameter doesn’t help either.
    I’m facing the same issue with my Morris Minor woody with a 215 Buick and a TH350, the rpm at highway speeds is uncomfortable. It needs taller rear tires. I’m gathering parts to install a T5. I’m hoping that it will be more fun to drive and solve the rpm problem.
    Glad to see your Husky done and out there amazing the public.

bobss396 likes this.
  28. 6sally6

6sally6

WHATA build
    6sally6