Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrysler industrial engines in cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Has anyone put a Chrysler industrial engine (56a 354, 413, 440) in a car?

There's lots of BS, assumptions, confusion and just plain wrong information about these engines but I'm trying to find someone who has "Been There, Done That" because I've got a lead on several 413/440 irrigation engines.

We ran them on our irrigation wells and I don't remember any "industrial only" parts. Pistons and cams were definitely not "performance" parts but most would be replaced during an overhaul anyway.

Any experience???

2. George

George

3. Billshari, has a 354 industrial Hemi, in his '32 Roadster. Bought the car, with the motor, so we do not know all that much about, whats inside. Small ID tag, on the back of engine designating it as such. We think maybe a stationary irrigation pump??? Seems to have a pretty lame camshaft. Not a whole lot of power, after midrange. Good cruiser though.
    JT

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I can't speak from experience, but back in the day you could pick up an old Hemi industrial engine for next to nothing. around here they were used for irrigation units quite frequently, and some wound up in cars around here. As far as I know standard automotive parts would interchange with them

5. deuce354

deuce354

I built a 56 354 Industrial about 15yr ago. I still have it in a glass 3 window. It had dished pistons,. real low compression. It had a oil heated single barrel carb. Other than that it was pretty standard hemi stuff. I had to get the cam reground. Had adjustable rockers. I have heard stories about real weird timing gear set ups. but after i threw away the intake, exhaust manifolds & the pistons it was pretty stock. It runs great, & real cool.Mine came off of the front of a locomotive running a snow blower.

Attached Files:

chopper99 likes this.
  6. Now, if you could get your car to sound like one of these....

Attached Files:

warbird1, LOU WELLS and Stogy like this.
  7. George

George

If factory this is the 1st report I've seen of an Ind actually having them.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  9. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

a buddy of mine has a 440 industrial engine in a 35 dodge truck ,he bought what he called a whiplash cam the old low comp motor sounds like a race car! still has all the industrial parts and he is running nitrous for whipping up on local tuner cars been flogging it for 6 years

10. gatz

gatz

Putting a '55 331 Chrysler Industrial with a 727 in the 40 Chrysler shown in the avatar.
    The PO had a new short-nose cam, hydraulic lifters with flat-top pistons in the short block when I bought it. Finished putting it all together & built a test stand, but yet to run it.
    There wasn't any ID tag on the rear of the block. But I do have the s/n.
    Working on the IFE along with other home tasks so it'll be a while.

11. WillyC

WillyC
    from california

As far as I know, all of the engines Chrysler sold or donated to sports cars (Cunnigham) were from the Marine/Industrial division. I have a 1950/51 Kurtis born with a Chrysler, and you can tell from the timing cover it was an industrial block as well. Makes sense, not pulling engines from the car division, and interrupting the sequential engine ID's.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Industrial, maybe, maybe not marine.

At least the 331, 354, and the 392 in marine trim lacked the shoulder on the crank snout for the timing chain sprocket. Their cams were gear driven, along with they alternator and hydraulic pump.

If you want to use a marine crank, you have to weld up and turn down that area to make that shoulder, or just swap to car crank.

Don't tell anyone, though. People keep dumping marine Hemi's, cheap, because they think they bought something they can't use.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    CaddyRat likes this.
  13. George

George

The 51-54 car hemis have the same timing covers as the Ind hemis. No factory marine 392s.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the old engine-swap manual shows this one with an industrial hemi in a ford p/u. couldn't use the industrial motor mounts, so the ones shown were substituted. Scan0027.jpg

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

An industrial Hemi I have has adjustable rockers . I was told they had them and that was the reason they had the bumps on the valve covers for clearance. I have three more and have never pulled the valve covers to see. Maybe I need to take a look.

16. What year was the one you have with adjustable rockers? The bumps were for clearance, but I think almost all industrial engines had hydraulic tappets - much more tolerant of valve seat recession...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  17. I have a couple industrial 361 engines (the predecessor of the 383). Comparing them to a typical car engine, they have very different water pumps, cylinder heads, and exhaust manifolds. Additionally the crankshaft has a different number of bolts and is a different length - requiring a different flywheel and transmission. On these engines, the water pump attached to both the block and the front of the cylinder heads.

18. That is most likely not an industrial engine. Those are 392 heads, and any block other than a 392 would require a custom narrow intake to fit with 392 heads (deck height difference between 331/354 and 392), and 392s were never made as an industrial engine by Chrysler.

Most likely someone swapped on a pair of industrial covers, perhaps to clear a set of adjustable rockers. Dual quads work well with solid lifters...

19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If it is any use to anybody all the Chrysler industrial engines I have ever seen had sodium filled exhaust valves.I found out when I went to cut the stem off a scrap valve to make a drift-------

20. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

To make a drft______?

21. mickeyc

mickeyc

22. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have an Chrysler hemi industrial. It came from the New Orleans airport.
    It powered a generator for aircraft sitting on the tarmac. The motor has the bump covers, but hydraulic lifters, and a unique oil controlled governor system. Sounds pretty
    mean running on the stand, as most open exhaust hemis do.

23. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

I have read that the dimpled covers indicate it has adjustable rocker arms...which are sought after.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, unless they were swapped on.

CaddyRat likes this.
  25. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

So let me get this straight- there were Car Hemi's, Marine Hemi's, Industrial Hemi's and Air Cooled Hemi's? Man, Chrysler was pretty diverse back in the day...

26. That is one of the biggest misconceptions out there regarding early hemis...

Industrial early hemi covers do have the bumps to accommodate adjustable rockers, but the vast majority of them were built with hydraulic tappets and therefore non-adjustable rockers.

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They put Hemis in trucks too. Never heard of an air cooled Chrysler engine.

28. deucemac

deucemac

The engine in my roadster (in my avatar ) started life as a 2 1/2 ton Dodge truck motor. It had one busted head so I used 354 passenger car heads. It had a timing cover and water pump assembly that weighed a ton! It also had a flywheel and 14 inch clutch setup that rivaled the timing cover for weight. The am was gear drive. I had Schneider regrind a cam from a '56 New Yorker. There were no rockers with it so I had Rocker arm specialty convert a set to adjustables. The timing set was replaced with a 360 set, a Hot Heads timing cover, a flywheel included with the Wilcap adapter, the previously mentioned '56 passenger car heads and it has seen solid street use since. I was very impressed with the high quality of Chrysler factory castings, forgings, and machine work. Much higher quality than run of the mill GM and Ford stuff.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Airplane.