Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods DOES YOUR HOT ROD SQUEAK & SQUAWK?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 8, 2016.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Rear leaf springs on my 37 squeak. One of these days I need to do something about that.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. There are actually Ford part numbers for some of those squeaks and squawks.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

[QUOTE="HOTRODPRIMER, post: 11686941, member:
    1182"
    "That must be what I have been doing wrong,of course I never install radios in hot rods. HRP[/QUOTE]"
    Well yes ,oldrod talks to me sometimes,sqweeked just the other day that the bushing on one rear link was bitching too. As for Radio an some tunes,I still do Doo Wapp,but in sted of my little transitor the size of a pack of smokes an a crappy ear bud in the late 1950s,I now have to have SD chip player an good speekers hinding under dash. See there is no station playing my Doo Wapp now,plus my 9volt want dead in little POS. I'm also a bit hard of hearing now,50years+ of race cars an open headers may have been a bad thing for the hearing?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. williebill

williebill

Agree with Koolkat. WD40 is used in my shop for killing bugs, not lubrication. Used to be good for firebombs, now not so much.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I divorced my squeak & squawk.

6. Fedman

Fedman

Both my Cars squeak, & squawk ........
    come to think of it, so does Fedwoman! :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 53 ford

53 ford

I sometime call my ride The Big Bopper.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tons of squeaks, and rattles, tinny sounds you name it. I have tightened the covered wagon with an engine up quite a bit so its now just a 100 or so interesting noises left. I posted this in a thread a while back. I was on the way to a cruise night taking some of the stellar roads we have around here and when things got smoother I heard the 101th noise and that was one too many so I pulled over into a station and had a walk around and this is what I saw. Had a couple of tools took the offending parts off went to the cruise had fun and new ones on now...back to 100 again. Moral of the story yes theres noises and get to know them...good and bad.

P_20160724_200056[1].jpg

P_20160724_195903[1].jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I might have some squeaks and rattles but the mufflers are so loud (I guess they are welfare mufflers, they don't muffle very well) I don't even try to listen to the radio. It's an old car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Most of the squeaks & rattles on my coupe are from the front fenders and hood bouncing and moving around. A rattle is two or more pieces that are loose and banging against each other, a squeak is two or more pieces almost tight and are rubbing each other. Usually, if you look close enough, you can see the tell tail signs of where the metal is rubbing together. LPS-3 or White Lithium spray grease will quite a squeak down for a while. As long as the parts are still rattling, they are still on the car. If a rattle suddenly quits, you need to stop and look for what fell off.
    Squeaks tend to drive me crazy (I don't have far to go), so they often get attention first (spraying the squeak with something is much easier then actually fixing the squeak), but I also like to locate where the rattles are coming from, so I know how important something that fell off was, it helps determine if its worth looking for the lost part. Gene

11. Find smoother roads to drive on. My roadster hates most Eastern Massachusetts roads. Those really bring out the annoying noises.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The roads around town here are horrible, just horrible. And the freeways are pretty bad too; there are pot holes and sunken sections of the roadway, and there are grade separations at over passes and bridges that are so bad the suspension will bottom out. Not so nice at fwy speeds. And we really don't have any excuses, we don't have severe weather, we haven't even had much rain for the past decade. Our stupid state and local govt's just can't get their priorities right. They even steal money from the highway funds for their pet projects.

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The day my shock tower broke I was redirected down a road I wouldn't have chosen and it was like a dune buggy course with a 40 mph speed limit. The towns are penny pinching and our vehicles are taking the brunt of it. I do a lot of weaving around things always, but theres always the little surprise waiting to punch the suspension right to the max. I always say there are many dirt roads better than the paved crap we have in so many places.
    Again despite the whining about the roads I still enjoy the primitive clanky adventures in the Hotrod.
    especially the putts down the dirty ones

heres a video of ole squeaky

HOTRODPRIMER, Blues4U and Hunter73 like this.
  14. Well Danny,
    My Center Door has always Squeaked, not sure about the Squawk, even when it was in bits!!
    :(However I sometimes think I can hear the sound of a lone wood worm :eek::eek: somewhere in the massive ash frame,:confused:which is sounding more like a chomp chomp !!;)
    But I think if its been there for 93 years I might let it go.:D

[​IMG]

:oops:See what I mean !!!

As regards traveling in the COE, I am so high up now I think all the squeaking and squawking MUST be coming from all the vehicles at low level.:rolleyes::p:D

[​IMG]

15. jdownunder

jdownunder

16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

HRP if it is the woodwork squeaking old fashioned castile soap works well as a lubricant.If it is a metal to metal squeak I usually spend a day going over and tightening everything on the car from the body mounts out and find I fixed it but dont know when---I fixed a bad squeak once by putting a piece of carpet under the toolbox in the trunk.Seriously.Another time it was where the jack bolted through the spare tire(55 ford).A piece of rubber floormat fixed that.

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes, they all have and do, I'm told by my wife who has perfect hearing, has worn ear plugs in some of my cars, one of few advantage's of getting older, hearing loss, they sound fine to me, do not hear anything at various pitch levels, but have not bought hearing aids yet as some quiet is a good thing.
    Raced cars for 20+ years and would talk about ears ringing during week with other drivers, nobody thought of ear plugs back then, my signature covers this subject and many others in my lifetime. So....... Please type louder !

18. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

You've got that right! Sometimes I worry that my suspension is going bust out in all directions! We have good cruising weather but our roads are the absolute worst!!!

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

An old Ford that doesn't squeak is like an old bike that doesn't leak oil; something's wrong! DSCN2746.JPG

20. My hood clangs on the rough roads and the wind noise over the 2" chopped top at 70-80 mph is unbelievable! On long trips I have to use some ear plugs to avoid getting a headache. :eek:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

All of the squeaking and squawking stopped when I divorced my wife. Now all I hear is the stereo and headers...

HOTRODPRIMER and mike bowling like this.
  22. mike bowling

mike bowling

No stereo, but a firm believer that
    "Loud pipes save lives" and eliminate lots of unescessary background noise ( kids, wife, parts falling off, sirens, etc.)

Attached Files:

Flathead Dave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. [​IMG]

Mike,is that your bike? HRP

24. Mine normally squeak and rattle, I also get blasted by the wind even with the windows rolled up. :D

I got a friend, older than I am, that says that's the difference between a real hot rod and a street rod. Hot rods squeak, rattle, you get wind blown even with the windows up and they are often not really comfortable. That's a real hot rod.

On a side note dash rattles have always bothered me, the rest of them are just signs of character.

Montana1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. mike bowling

mike bowling

Nope, wish it was! Belongs to a fellow named Dean who is into original Indians and Harleys from WAY back. I have a number of friends who share a love of old cars AND bikes. ( and everything else old).
    These pictures are from an annual cookout at my buddy "Billy the Plumber's" as part of the yearly celebration of our town's founding in 1635. (Newbury, Mass.)
    I had an '86 shovel head and a Paucho framed chopper a long time ago ( when I still had kidneys). DSCN2745.JPG

Attached Files:

clunker, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Cool.had a 1956 Panhead back when they were cheap. HRP

[​IMG]

Fedman, Stogy and mike bowling like this.
  27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

In my Model A, I think as much of the suspension flex comes from the frame twisting as from the springs and shackles.

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. My old 60 F100 had a loose socket/nut/bolt in the crease between the back skin and the gas tank. Every time I made a turn, it would rattle and slide from one side of the cab to the other. My solution was to only make left turns. :)

HOTRODPRIMER and Fedman like this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Worst noise is when some rotten SOB puts a 1" steel ball in your gas tank....

Nailhead Jason and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Sure does !
    Because it's a chevy!
    Lots of wood!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.