Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rip off alert - Doug Goucher / Cowtown Speed Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tj, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its not very often I find myself to be the one defending the moral high ground. I could get used to this:D
    If narcissism made someone a thief, that would include 80% of the HAMB.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The OP was calling him a thief in the original post. The thread title is "Ripoff alert". The OP looked to had exhausted all of his resources for contacting the seller and was posting a "Ye Olde Notice" to give a heads up to other HAMBers so they wouldn't get ripped off (post #8). Due to a link (from a past episode from the seller) in a later post, the OP was able to get a hold of the seller via a link and make contact.

BTW, only the first sentence of my post referred to your post regarding at what point a buyer may feel they're about to or have been ripped off.
    The rest of my post is just my 2 cents on what proper selling etiquette should be or usually seems to follow.

K13 nailed the sellers M O. He magically shows and comes through after the heat gets turned up.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

... And it's not even a full moon?! ;-)

never said thief ...but douche yes, people pay their hard earned money for parts that are advertised ....they just want their parts ...no drama and no bullshit,.... fake /"wrong" shipping numbers ,stories of the dog ate the shipping label ect ect, shows a lack of respect for people, fellow Rodders , the Hamb and even Ryan ....if people find it to hard to ship stuff, they have no business offering it for sale

And that is not directed to anyone in particular just had a couple deals go wrong.. Who has the time and energy to deal with that?.. My job to pay and theirs to ship.. It's simple!... Or one would think

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Kinda figured the mob would turn on me when I pointed out the facts. :rolleyes: I have a certain set of rules I have to live my life by, and one of those is I wont stand by and let a mob lynch someone without a fair trial. And no thirtytwo, you didn't call him a thief. As to the rest, well...

volvobrynk and Kan Kustom like this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm going to bed, probably sleep a little better than usual tonight.:) OP, I hope you get your parts. Doug, if you are listening, for f*cks sake, clean up your act, and get off your ass, answer emails and answer the phone and ship stuff, or stick to swap meets. My guess is if your name keeps coming up in these threads the way it has in the last couple months, Ryan will get sick of the drama.
    Its not a question of having your back or anything, I don't, but right is right, and wrong is wrong, its pretty goddam straight forward to me, and there seems to be LOTS of the latter to go around here.

6. Hope you slept well my friend.

It is just a very short skip to reach a conclusion of "thief" with the standard operating procedure of this guy. It maybe unfair but certainly understandable since every individual thinks their relentless efforts and Hamb involvements are reversing the behavior that looks exactly like a theft attempt.
    Having seen the anguish this behavior causes to others and himself should be enough of a deterrent to stop. However the choice has been made here once again to repeat the same behavior,,, That makes it habitual. There was another resent thread where he tried to solicit another opportunity to potentially engage in another round of this. It's just been his way of life apparently and we should accept that his entitlement out ways any ill gotten sense of right and wrong we may have as individuals or collectivly as a group. If we see a response from him here it will be more of the same excuses. There's deffinetly a character flaw here at least.

I'll second the sentiment -
    Clean up your act or stick to swap meets.

7. We're paid by the hour, and living by the minute. TIME IS MONEY. Hence the interpretation. This dude is holding someone's pay and time hostage for HIS reasons. F#ck that. Don't need to type a bunch of bullsh#t to defend it.

Chucky, H380, dan31 and 6 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I stepped in dog shit once, I've made it a point to not make that mistake again.
    When I see shit, I say "yep, that's shit".

Chucky, Muttley and 34toddster like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Theres a "Peter and Ivan" joke (its a Canadian thing) about that, but I cant type with a Ukrainian accent.

czuch and 1927graham like this.
  10. don't we all have that "feedback score" thing? why don't we start filling that out?? I sold some parts last spring, met the guy where and when I said, he got very good parts, for the price, no feedback. If we would all use it we would all know what type of guy we are dealing with. Good or bad.

roundvalley likes this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not a bad idea, I agree we should give credit where it's due.
    George, you and I don't always agree, but I respect you and suspect the same applies to you. You say this guy has sold stuff to others, that you are aware that he can be extremely slow in shipping parts, and has become a constant source of acrimony here on HAMB.
    Well, for me at least, that would be reason enough not to buy if I saw this when I did a search, because life is too short to spend it in as we said in the USMC "spring loaded to the pissed off position":mad:
    Perhaps the best approach is to be upfront with the seller and if you have found him to be of questionable business tactics during your search, but the parts he has offered are hard to find and you really need them, find a way to reach some sort of prior agreement on prompt shipping.
    Would be nice if Pay Pal or somebody came up with a wat that you could post a payment to the seller that would be certified to the seller as to be in their accounts, but available only when buyer certifys he has recv'd parts in good order.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Don't feel bad. I've sold over 31,000 items on eBay since 1999 and at last count I have left 5200+ more feedbacks than I've received. It's nothing personal-some people don't know how to do it and the others just don't care.... :(

roundvalley and volvobrynk like this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm not quite sure how to leave feedback, other than posting a comment in the threads, maybe a sorta tutorial would be good.

14. biscaynes

biscaynes

15. Just as an example, I've sold 3 things on HAMB and the buyers seemed happy. I've left 3 positive feedbacks and received zero.

choptop4 likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

to be honest, I find the feedback thing awkward to use. Tried a couple times, then you have to link to the original ad, one guy I wanted to leave positive feedback for didn't have an ad, he had responded to my wanted ad, and it can be hard to find the original ad when you are in the feedback field, you have to open the HAMB in a second window and search for the ad. My guess is a lot of guys try it and give up on it.

thirtytwo likes this.
  17. I agree and see why most guys just don't want to mess with it.

18. Yep ! It's considerably more effort and troublesome than opening a rip off thread. If anyone in the world searched here or googled cowtown they'd find the threads and hopefully make an informed and intelligent decision.

The world wouldn't see trader feedback

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be honest I'm not aware that there is a feedback option here on the HAMB but then I don't sell all that much. But when I do sell or buy something here for that matter I ALWAYS check back with the buyer to make sure there were no issues. The same applies when I buy something, I let the seller know I received the part and all is good. Just seems that way to do things IMO.

20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Technically this thread is about Doug groucher selling stuff on ford barn as another name other than "cowtown" so I'm not sure the search function would have worked well in that respect..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. ;)

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

true. A couple guys have made the comment that Doug only sends stuff when theres heat on him from a rant on the HAMB. I got my stuff, and I never called him out on the forum, I just kept bugging him till he sent my parts.
    And when he finally did ship my parts and get me a tracking number that worked, my parts were stuck in customs for about 2 weeks, cant blame that part on him. Usually my parts clear customs in a couple days, I don't know why they took so long, maybe a big backlog or something. Setting the record straight. Would I buy from him again? No, too stressful. Do I think he has evil intent? No. But he seems pretty disorganised.

23. Dude. How many frekn' threads does this dumbas# need on here ... complaining about his parts shoot ? !!! I sell stuff all over the place, and sure as heck am not gonna' list it, if I can't produce it. You cash a check ... then BAM ... ya' better mail it. You're posting like he's Christopher Reeves, and needs some one to push his chair to the mail house. It's ridiculous. Jibber jabber 'til the cows' come home. Get off this guys nuts already .... he f#ckin' sucks evidently.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just stating the facts as they happened. If that makes you uncomfortable, well tough fuckin luck. I dealt with him, have you? No? Then you don't even have a dog in this fight.

25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Play nice guys... I get where you are comming from George , and you got your parts without blasting him on the hamb , but multiple threads on the hamb seems to have proven it lights a fire under his ass to ship... If a guy can run his ass to the bank and cash my check , he better be able to run his ass to fedex and ship what I paid for

As much as I respect you I strongly disagree....We all have a dog in this fight not just cowtown but every miserable prick that can't seem to follow through on a negotiation.. We all suffer because of the assholes

I urge you to really look at how cowtown has responded on all the threads where he has jacked people around ...not even sorry in the least...

Life happens sometimes , but you shouldn't have to constantly hound someone to finish a deal

kidcampbell71, Max Gearhead and K13 like this.
  26. Lionheart

Lionheart

Every member here has a dog in this fight, because this slime ball comes here, and wants
    to collect other members hard earned money, then wants to have his cake and eat it too.

If he can't send the parts out in a very timely manner, then he don't deserve the right
    to sell parts HERE, and defending him and his antics, is a worthless defense !

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you look at what I have posted, I think its actually reasonably balanced, Telling him that if he cant get his shit together he should quit selling online and stick to swaps is "posting like he's Christopher Reeves, and needs some one to push his chair to the mail house"?? Really? Give me a break.
    Take a look at what I have actually said. At this point at least, the guy is not a thief, those are the facts, and until someone comes forward and says he never sent their shit, it is what it is. And yes, it really gets my back up when people say shit like that without justification about ANYBODY, whether its mother Theresa and Adolph Hitler. And yes, because some of these clowns have my back up, maybe I am being a little extra cantankerous.
    Is he an irresponsible, self centered, shiftless dick who doesn't really give a shit? Hell yes, and I have said as much.
    Would I invite him over for a coffee, or lend him tools? Fuck no, but theres a LOT of guys I wouldn't do that with. Hell, I wont lend my own brother tools. If he needs 'em, he can come over here and use them.

In my world, calling someone a THIEF is not like saying hes an asshole or something, in my books, and around the people I grew up with, if you are going to call someone a thief, you had better be 100% ready to proof it, and the fact is, none of these guys are EVEN close to being able to do that, they are just jumping on the bandwagon. That shit just really pisses me off, and if it should piss anyone off who looks in the mirror in the morning. I have no problem holding myself to a higher level than the guy whos being a dick.
    I've said all I need to say here, I have said EXACTLY what happened in my dealings with him, and I have even offered some unsolicited advice to him that truthfully, is none of my business to give. I have hinted around that if he keeps this shit up Ryan will probably ban him just because of the drama he causes, and I have related the events of my deal with him fairly, honestly, and in their entirety, and that's what seems to bother some of these guys. The truth is a bitchy mistress, suck it up. Nuff said.

Kan Kustom, thirtytwo and 1927graham like this.
  28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Group hug?

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ok, I'm in. I maybe have been a little strident, I added that post that seemed to really piss off kidcampbell not to "defend" Doug, but because I felt I had left out some pertinent information, and in a situation like this, I feel its important to ME to tell my WHOLE story, unabridged.
    God knows I am FAR from perfect, but if we are gonna talk ethics, for me that conversation has to start in my own house, and if I don't tell the WHOLE story, than how ethical am I being?
    I'll be honest, about a month into that deal, I was thinking I'D been screwed, but I held my breath, kept my powder dry, and waited for the other shoe to fall. Shortly after that, I got another tracking number and that one ACTUALLY WORKED!:rolleyes: I'd NEVER do it as far as shipping stuff, but I know I cant say I have never procrastinated on taking care of something that I knew was my responsibility. Those are the questions I always gotta ask myself before I jump to conclusions.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  30. And EXACTLY how else can he "kept bugging him till he sent the parts"?

When he won't acknowledge the attempts to contact from several means, then you have to resort to threads like this to get anything done, that is when he should lose his privilege to sell here=ban.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.