Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LET'S CRITIQUE WHEELS - New Repro Wheels that do or don't

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Clik

Clik

Let's critique new reproduction wheels that do or don't make the cut of being HAMB era correct.
    20141017_181104.jpg I'll start. Here's my Reproduction Hallibrands ;)

wicarnut and falcongeorge like this.
  2. No kind of Halibrands I've ever seen! Bad start for a comparison post.

3. I like the truck...a lot. Yours? I don't see any mountains in the back ground.
    The wheels look more like Andsons.:)

4. They sure aren't! Show us where it says Halibrand on them.

need louvers ? likes this.

5. Did you mean to put a pic of your avatar? Here are my knock off halibrands. There not bad for a 500 dollar set of new wheels. But there definitely not as nice as Halibrands. 20160116_165652.jpg 20150920_115742.jpg

6. Larry T

Larry T

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Uh guys, note the wink. I think your collective chains have just been successfully yanked...;):D
    I wont even play this game anymore, there are too many guys that have bought butt-ugly wheels that will get their noses out of joint when they realize how bogus their wheels are...

8. My chain is still hanging, notice the "Andsons" I should have gone with "Raiders".:)

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a minute I thought Click had bought wheels from one of the local tires stores that caters to the 4x4 brigade. Those guys can come up with some butt ugly wheels. Usually what the tire store has that fits their credit limit the day they go wheel hunting.

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

In general I hate Chinese cheapo looking wheels, pretty much anything made by Rocket.

Particularly cheap and disgusting are the twelve spoke bolt on "gasser" front runners. Chinese as chow mein and ruin the look of many otherwise nice cars.

brad2v, bowie, Phillips and 2 others like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

US Mags Indy wheels. They are too shiny, have conical instead of shank lug nuts, and come in sizes that actually work...so yeah, I don't mind how incorrect they are!

usmag.jpg

edweird, LSGUN, J.Ukrop and 14 others like this.
  12. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Damn I gotta get more powerful cheaters, I didn't see the wink! I guess my chain got pulled! ...Errr, ah...

lothiandon1940 and falcongeorge like this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres some real irony. IMO, Once you can the HORRIBLE center caps they come with, the cheapo US Mags five spokes actually look more like late sixties americans than American Racings TTO's. The have the lip on the edge of the rim where it steps up from the barrel, and they accept the old style smaller center caps.
    Here a pic of one with an older ET center cap. IIRC Thirtytwo sent me this.
    image (1).jpg
    Theres a little bit of a lip showing around the center cap, if you really wanted to go nuts you could take that down with a dremel and shot peen the ground area, and the only thing to give it away would be the goofy lug nuts. I guess you could drill the lug nut holes for old style shank nuts, but the backspacing would still be wrong, at some point you have to think it might just be easier to buy vintage wheels. But I think these make a damn good substitute once you swap out the center caps.
    If US wheels just subbed the center caps they already make for the slots, these would look a LOT like the five spokes US mags was selling in the early seventies.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My new AR Torque Thrusts have a conical lug also. I didn't like them so I found that there are ones made that go 1/2 way in the wheel with threads, much safer to me. They are 15x6 and look like the old ones so I'm happy with them.

15. Clik

Clik

It was a joke Chops. I don't know what those ugly things are. They were on the truck when I bought it. I call 'em Disco Wheels. I hear BeeGees music whenever I look at them. I've been waiting to swap wheels 'til after I do a disc brake conversion since it may change the offset. I'm too embarrassed to drive it like that. People might think I'm gay. Ha! Ha!

16. Clik

Clik

I don't know what those ugly things are Phil. Like I told Charlie Chops, They were on the truck when I bought it. I call 'em Disco Wheels. I hear BeeGees music whenever I look at them. I've been waiting to swap wheels 'til after I do a disc brake conversion since it may change the offset. I'm too embarrassed to drive it like that. People might think I'm gay. Ha! Ha! Mountain view is blocked by garage.

wicarnut, Kan Kustom and wraymen like this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's cool, I will have to look those lug nuts up.

round2it likes this.
  18. Clik

Clik

It was a joke man, It was a joke. ;)

19. Clik

Clik

I used to hate Rad-r wheels but they are growin' on me since they quit making those phony hub caps that imitated them. Are they still in business? I wonder how close they are to period correct?

20. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Too bad they don't make them in 15x5 and 16x7or16x8!

wicarnut and lbcd like this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nothing looks worse then a set of Nigerian knock off wheels. I'd rather go without then install a set of wheels then something that looks like they belong on a clown car. Wheels make or break a car.

Gary

22. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Schwing! A 9 dick model. Pretty rare I would think.

23. :confused::eek::oops:Thankfully, it's gone

24. ^^^, haha, I saw that, just before it self destructed. :D

I'm to poor to afford mags of any kind, so I'll keep running my old Ford wheels. ;)

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I really hate these modern americans. and people that think they look like the original D spokes have never seen a D spoke.....

american-racing-hot-rod-torq-thrust-ii-polished-large.png

Kevs56, spiffy1937, quick85 and 11 others like this.
  26. The weenie wheel image may be gone, but cannot be unseen.
    [​IMG]
    There's so many don'ts out there, here's a ''do'', at least for me. Radir Tri Rib.

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

These are the closest Ive seen to a Halibrand, they are American racing Rodmasters. Ive yet to get tires mounted on them though. Try and find full set I think there rarer than original Halibrands( Thanks Charlie chops 1940) IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0510.JPG

28. I figured it might be a joke, might be April the 1st (I do miss a lot), or even possible that Clik was genuinely misinformed....and I still got in trouble. Oh well, it is the HAMB and the web - anything is possible given those two things.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  29. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Are you saying different lugs? or wheels? Can you explain or post a picture?

30. coupe man

coupe man

I'll go out on a limb here and make an assumption that Jimmy six is talking about the lug nuts.Some lug nuts where made with the threads only cut into the part which went into the wheel.This means that the only thing holding the wheel on is the flat shoulder touching the wheel.What you want is a lug nut with the threads cut into the head of the nut and your wheel studs long enough to thread into the head of the lug nut.That way the whole lug nut is holding the wheel on.

falcongeorge likes this.