Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. I might do a whole thread on the paint process but for now. I am not really sure this is the direction I was thinking and the colour is quite a bit more vibrant than Manuel's sprayout but it's what I got.

door lime.jpg

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

4. Well I am not sure if it is yes or not. It did not turn out the way I was expecting. It's bright and unique but....:oops: lime.jpg

5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

What does it look like outside?

6. I do not know what your intent is for this truck - totally stock (which I doubt with the color) or something different. However, if the color is too "bold", you could tone it down with some scotch brite to flatten it out a bit. Might just be the answer you are looking for .....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Now if your door in the foreground matched the spraycard as well as the picture
    makes it look like it matches the jamb of the door in the background, you would
    be golden! Pun intended
    Building HotRods is fun and easy!

brad2v likes this.
  8. Haha yeah unfortunately that's about two coats of the colour and has almost no coverage.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. If I was building a '70's Mopar I might be happy. I am not. FUCK!:(

hood.jpg

10. gigem

gigem

Not gonna lie. I don't love it.

11. LOL well that's better than me because I hate it.

12. It's really difficult to tell from the pics - but if I'm reading you right the colour turned out more "limey" and less "lemony" than what you were looking for? Does the gold in the paint show more in the sunlight? Often the change of lighting creates a dramatic change in the appearance of the colour (I'm sure you know this..).

Dave

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Pine Lime as in the ice block. Cool project

14. Yeah more limey and the gold doesn't show through at all. I clearly did something majorly wrong. I did a quick spray out before I stared and it looked pretty good. More green than what Manuel's spray out was like but I liked it. I either didn't upsize my quantities correctly from the sample or I didn't get as much paint down when I sprayed the sample but whatever I did it failed miserably. It really looks more like Mopar's sublime green than anything I was going for.

Thanks unfortunately not what I was after.

15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

On your next go around maybe you could do up a test panel and right down your mix, do some playing to see how you like it

Your truck would have been a great tow car for my 37' gasser back in the day

Good luck on getting the color you want, DND

16. Yeah I did all that but some how it didn't translate to the full size. I think I may have gotten a little worried when I started mixing as I was warned that too much gold powder would make it muddy and it was starting to look that way so I backed off but I obviously backed off too much. Problem is I don't have enough materials to do it again and it was a one off batch of colour that Manuel mixed for me from some old lacquer stock that a friend of his had so...

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ouch ! That really sucks. I have to say that is really bright green. :)
    No way they would miss you pulling into the local cruise.
    Looks like a lot of work coming up to change this.
    Maybe blast and start over ? Or lots and lots of sanding ? :eek:

18. Yup it does. I hope to sand it off as I really don't want to redo all the body work again as that will set me WAY back.

chryslerfan55 and Blue One like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My arms hurt just thinking about it. :D And I haven't even started sanding on mine yet.
    At least my RPU is much smaller so the surface area is greatly reduced. :)

20. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

Ian,
    Looks like you need more gold powder to get to the color I mixed for you. Plus, you did spray it over the gold base? I think my paint guy might have a little more toner in case you need more. Call me on this. You have my number and e-mail address. If I can remember correctly, I had to stir the hell out of the paint to get it mixed properly.
    Good luck,
    Manuel

21. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

Ian,
    From the photo of this that I see on my computer, looks like you nailed it. Just try to document what you did to the color when it comes time to do the whole truck. Remember, gold base, color, then more coats with additional clear in the color after you are satisfied with coverage. Clear = depth of color everyone lusts over. Doesn't happen in first coats.
    Don't get discouraged.
    Manuel

22. Thanks Manuel. Yeah I did spray it over the gold base but I think there were two issues. One as you mentioned I don't think I got enough gold powder in the paint and two the HVLP gun I am using seems to be laying down quite a bit of paint. By three coats of the colour the gold base was completely covered so it didn't really accomplish anything towards the final colour. I may need some more materials not sure at this point. I have about a gallon and a half of colour and a gallon and a half of clear left maybe a little less. The way the weather has been going here lately we may get an early spring so I can get back on this sooner rather than later.

23. Well it been a long while since I updated this and I see Photobucket has fucked most of my thread but I finally have started respraying the paint. It's still pretty green but its way better than it was before so at this point I am all in. My poor garage

20170811_142940.jpg
    20170811_142947.jpg

Fern 54, kiwijeff, chriseakin and 8 others like this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks good, not as bright as before.
    Looks like I'm not the only one painting :cool:

chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  25. Nice color. Although staring at it too long may cause retinal damage

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

K13 likes this.
  26. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I like the color, looks close to mine

K13 likes this.
  27. That looks killer! Can't wait to see it done, I would love to see it and blue ones project in person, might actually be able to tolerate a trip to Edmonton then....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Glad to see this ! Keep us updated!

K13 likes this.
  29. brad2v

brad2v

That's way more better :D It doesn't look like a '70 Road Runner anymore

K13 likes this.
  30. Thanks guys it's been a bit of a struggle to get here but I am much happier with it now.

Blue One likes this.