Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. jt306

jt306

I'm gonna be the first one to win in A and C gas at the same race. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

loudbang, Zak Hall and Dog_Patch like this.
  2. Justin I didn't buy the 6 wides he had only 1 pair of 4's I can give u his number if u want to get ahold of him he still had them a few weeks ago. I got the other 4's off eBay guy listed them with a cheep buy it now.

Tony no not going to make Chattanooga me and the wife were gonna be the only ones to make it. I'm planning on having it back together for Kentucky. But as I've said that before and probably sound like a broken record. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sonic03bluegt and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

That's why I'm gonna build the Anglia. Lol!

4. AmishMike

AmishMike

been following your build - love the old Ford - not many built. Sorry about the head pinhole problems but is that due to the builder or original casting? And where did the casting come from? Leaks at valves must be the head builder.

5. The original castings is the problem With the heads the valve problem I believe at this time is from the place that didn't pressure check them for leaks. I got it tore down tonight and they did not touch the piston. We were thinking it might have over reved when it didn't shift into 3rd but wasn't 100% sure of that but now that the heads are off the piston looks perfect not a single mark on them. They are Robert pond castings

loudbang, Dog_Patch and AmishMike like this.
  6. I have been down the same road. It does get frustrating. Hang in there. If it was easy everyone would be building their own cool cars.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did you wipe the carbon pattern off the pistons or were they that clean?

8. I wiped the piston off but it was pretty clean to start with. All the pistons are pretty clean. Only has maybe 2hrs total run time on it. The heads have some carbon on them but not much at all

Nitrofreak and loudbang like this.
  9. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Tony won't be at Chattanooga but gonna try and make Claycity having shifter problems bought one today gonna see if it cures it, fingers crossed!

10. loudbang

loudbang

Dog_Patch likes this.
  11. Got the motor most of the way back together. Let me tell you this thing is a learning curve. The entire chain setup is a real pain to figure out. I had the front cover on and off felt like 100 times mostly double and triple checking stuff. Hope to get it all back together tomorrow and fire it up. I finally got around to figuring out how to make the magnesium valve covers work. These were from dyno Dons estate but they are the early cammer covers and are about 1/4" shorter than the later covers. When I got them I didn't know they wouldn't work with adjustable rockers but after looking them over closer Don had done some grinding on the inside where the adjuster hit and also there was pieces of gasket on them and he had ran them withadjustable rockers he just used 2 gaskets so I tried it and sure enough they clear now so I'm running them. Not only do they look cool but they are 10 pounds lighter than the aluminum ones I had on it.

Pufff, Mtn Goat, beebee78 and 6 others like this.
  12. Also I added crank case evac since I kept losing the one breather. 1473029757836.jpg 1473029762339.jpg 1473029772227.jpg

Pufff, Mtn Goat, beebee78 and 5 others like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

One of my go to guys said he assembled one of those and took him 2 days.

14. Yes the cammer is back up and running. Got it fired up about 4 this afternoon. Sounds good so far held pressure in coolant system. Pulled the valve covers off reset the chain tensioner and checked the valve lash. Gotta tighten up the lash didn't have time to go through them tonight. Tomorrow gonna retorque the heads and set the lash. After I get the valve covers back on gonna make a new set of plug wires with the correct plug boots on them. The wires I have now have soft boots on them and are a pain to clip on the plug. The new ones have long plastic boots on them I think they will work better.

Pufff, Nitrofreak, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  15. That's good news Jeff! Does it use the same type plug tube boot that the 392's use?

16. Yes it does I needed them a little longer so I ordered moon ones from hot heads. These engines used copper ones back in the day and that's what they repop now and they are double the weight of the aluminum ones so that's why I got 392 ones this time lol

loudbang likes this.
  17. Well so far so good on the Skairlane. I took it to Union Grove last Thursday night and we went the best of 10.17 @135 mph. The car didn't get any water in the oil made 4 passes that night didn't have any traction on any of the passes. We left it on the trailer and headed out for Clay city Kentucky Friday afternoon. Drove through some big storms made it there like 1am sat morning. Sat rolled around we hung out at the track with all the fellow SEG racers made first round qualifying then the rain set it. Sucks we couldn't stick around Sunday to finnish the race but we still had a blast. I have some chassis work to do on it and plan to take it back to the track soon.
    1473822215558.jpg 1473822221934.jpg 1473822646457.jpg 1473822656368.jpg

Pufff, OahuEli, beebee78 and 5 others like this.
  18. Saxxon

Saxxon

Let's hope the engine gremlins are gone. Time to have some fun !! You've certainly earned it

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  19. loudbang

loudbang

New/old cam covers look like they belong there.

strokedstang331 likes this.
  20. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Loved seeing the car out Jeff! I was so excited i got to pair up with you on it's first pass with the SEG

21. Thanks yea it was fun to finally have it out. Definitely cool lining up with the Sothern Flyer I had a blast even though u sucker the paint rite off my old Ford lol. See ya at greer.

22. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

You guys are really screwing up my view on Ford lol I love both of your cars and it was awesome seeing them run. . Hope to make Greer. Jeff , very glad to see you out and finally enjoying that beautiful car of yours!

sonic03bluegt, beebee78 and Gammz like this.
  23. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Was great seeing everyone down there, the rain sucked but the new shifter works like a champ can't wait to run it again, like Jeff said always a blast hanging out with our southern buds !

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  24. Well the Skairlane made 2 more passes last sat at the meltdown fallout event at rock falls dragway and it is still running good. My first pass was all over the track at the start. Went 10.45 @137 mph my second pass still spun out of the hole and was going good until I pulled it into 4th gear I thought it started driving through the clutch so I lifted a little bit then rolled on it hard again and found out it was not the clutch it was spinning the tires. After that I looked like pale rider in Clay City about hit the gard rail because I didn't want to cross the center I was ahead of the other guy. I got it back in control and still went through the traps at 10.07 @119. Still searching for the traction problem hope to have it kinda sorted out for Greer.

25. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Outstanding progress Jeff, especially when you look back at what you started with not that long ago.
    You must be really pleased, good luck at the Greer finals.

26. loudbang

loudbang

Hey having tires going up in smoke problems is one whole lot better than water in the oil problems. :rolleyes:

27. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

OahuEli, strokedstang331 and loudbang like this.