Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Couple of old guys from England visiting Chicago next week.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brepil, Sep 1, 2016.

1. brepil

brepil

Hi guys,
    Having logged in on occasion for some time now this is my first post. Myself and a good friend Bob are visiting you lovely people next week flying into Chicago. We will then catch a bus heading to Kalamazoo for the Nsra event taking place up there! Any good? We're old school Hotrods primarily.
    We arrive in Chicago on Wednesday night, the 7th. Is there anything good we should be heading to locally on the Thursday ? (We're on foot/ local transport ) It would be great to meet up or visit anything hotrod related.
    After Kalamazoo it's a bus to Detroit. Again, any recommendations on things to see,places to go,people to meet?
    Second stage is a flight down to Florida to pick up a ramp truck then drive up to New York to deliver to the docks for shipping home. Might just find something to sit on the back during the journey! ( fingers crossed )
    Can't wait to join you all over there!
    Cheers,
    Brett & Bob.

stillrunners likes this.
  2. Welcome Brett and Bob. I am from Northwest Indiana, which is about 45-60 minutes out of Chicago. The Kalamazoo, MI NSRA show starts on Friday the 9th. I am making the drive up on Saturday for the day. I have attended the show for the past 8-9 years and it's a blast. Bring your money for the swap meet!

3. 35cab

35cab

Brett, Ive been a few times to Chicago mainly work/art related trips so can't help with Hotrod stuff but went up to Volo Auto Museum, some good exhibits and some wacky stuff as well.
    Saw some traditional stuff out in Evanstown.
    In Chicago you have to go to the museum of Science and Industry, easy from downtown, the Loop area. Also go on the Architectural boat trip. Also watch the sun go down with a drink up the Hancock Tower.
    I sure more Chicagoland people on here will chip in with the good stuff.
    Enjoy.
    Gordon.
    Good to speak to you at GOW.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just don't go to the wrong part of Chicago. Its the murder capital of the US.

Gary

49ratfink and sunbeam like this.

5. I was going to mention the museums, shed aquarium, and navy pier.

6. squirrel

squirrel

too bad you'll be a bit early to see Drag Week swing through the area....Ohio, then Michigan (strip near Kalamazoo), then down to Indy, and back to Ohio, Sep 11-16. Oh well.

You'll have fun anyways!

7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

If going to Detroit, must see the Henry Ford, museum and village!

8. Where will you be staying in Chicago ? If your without a rental car and relying on public transportation , you could get a surprise or two depending where and when your going in the metro area . Uber maybe an option for travel to areas that public transportation may not service or after service hours. Please dont let others discourage your Chicago travels. The south and west sides of Chicago are troublesome but if your going downtown or heading to the suburbs things are good . Not a lot of car things going on as many of the weekly cruise nights have ended with the Labor Day weekend . Check in with the SW Chicago HAMB & Egg breakfast group as several of the guys are heading to Kzoo . Link http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/sw-chicago-hamb-eggs.880319/page-115.

9. keep us updated on your travels. have fun

10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Well. the bus station in Chicago can be interesting if you guys like to watch people. Enjoy your trip, and travel safe.

11. If you bump into this guy in Kzoo be careful .

12. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

WELCOME Brett and Bob. I am' also in North West Indiana and will be at the Nats North in Kalamazoo Saturday morning. Feel free to PM or post a question if we can help with your visit. jim32

13. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

There's HotRod Chassis and Cycle in Addison and Voodoo Larry in Elkgrove Village.
    You can do both in a few hours!

Better than a boat ride.

14. In the Kalamazoo area there's the Gilmore Museum.

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

On your way to Detroit, if you work up an appetite (or just want to wet your whistle), make a stop at the Vinsetta Garage on Woodward Ave. in the Berkley area. It's kind of like a museum that serves great grub and craft beers. Take it from a guy named Blackburn. ;)

http://vinsettagarage.com/

:rolleyes:

15. The Gilmore Museum is a must-see when you're in the Kalamazoo area. It's one of the best car museums anywhere. Ditto for the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, right next to Detroit.

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

If you can spend an extra day in Kazoo visit the Gilmore museum in Hickory Corners,well worth your effort even if involves car rental before heading to Detroit.
    As stated by palos, most cruise nights over with, spend your time enjoying downtown Chicago and the lakefront . There are numerous stations to rent a bicycle to explore the area if you're up for that and the food choices will overwhelm you, bring an appetite. :D

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

18. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Fearless Leader Larry, are there enough guys going to breakfast this Sat. (SEPT 3rd) to press the visitors to come to breakfast ( might take a rental car, don't have clue about buses) Rinaldi

19. They are not in town till the 7th . But if your buying breakfast on the 3rd I'm sure several of your best friends will show up .

20. slowforty

slowforty

I have room at my place if you need a place to stay. Running water and Flush toilets are part of the ambiance. Call me at 708 772 1925

21. brepil

brepil

Wow ! You guys are amazing! Thanks for all the advice and offers of help so far.
    Slowforty, thank you . I will pm you, and others with your offers of help. We are in " hobo" mode ( think that's how you might say it! ) so no hotels booked yet except for Kalamazoo.
    ( we're in the Four Points Sheraton and will have some sort of Uk Hotrod tee shirts on! )
    Good to see you on here Gordon! and it was great to catch up with you and all the Scottish contingent at GOW. What a blast that was!
    (VHRA website or Hotrodmeltdown forum if anyone wants a look!?)
    I will keep a thread going of our journey round America .
    Thanks Guys.

22. brepil

brepil

I now have an Avatar <-:). Me and my T on Pendine.

23. clem

clem

Sorry I can't help with your trip, but I'm sure we would all like to see more of that T !
    Pictures please............?

24. brepil

brepil

25. clem

clem

Wow !
    That was a quick response.- Thanks
    Cool rod.

26. The wife suggest Geno's East for Pizza! It's in downtown Chicago.

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Concur.. and it will take ALL DAY to see it right. Gary

And the Gilmore Museum, fer sure.

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Quite off topic, but I have to ask! Do either of you know a hot rod/custom car guy named Garreth Pittard? Wondering what happened to him. He flew to the US back in the late 80's, into Newark NJ, I picked him up and we spent a week or 2 cruising in my chopped 55 Olds to the Leadsled Spectacular in Michigan, and another car show somewhere. I dropped him back at the airport, but never heard from him again. My friends and I were wondering what ever became of him!

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. brepil

brepil

Sorry. Not heard the name before but I'll ask about.
    Not long to go now before we fly on Wednesday morning.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Hope you fellows have a great trip.