Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who When was the first SBChev powered HotRod?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aussie Chev, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

You guys are hilarious!!......."Mines a Hot rod And yours is not!!" LOL LOL.......As far as the first SBC powered hot rod goes, I know a guy who knows another guys step sister, Who use to baby sit for a rich couple that lived next door to a fellow who sold them a dog that belonged to their second cousins uncle on his moms side. He did not own the first SBC powered hot rod, But knew the guy who wrote a book about the little girl who did.......LOL too Funny!!

theHIGHLANDER and Suthunman like this.
  2. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

early use in Omaha, NE...a man I knew, deceased now, owned a gas station. he bought a Model A sedan in 1950 running the 4-banger. In 1955 when the 265 came out, he went to all the junkyards in the area telling them to call him when they get the 1st wrecked 55 with a 265. he bought a 265 around Christmas & put it in the sedan. he was always very quiet about what was in it, seldom saw it with the hood open...but a few years before he died, he finally told me a lot about the car. this was in 2004. it had the 265, powerglide, & a quick-change. til he died it had gray/blk primer, skinny tires with wire wheels, & the original interior. in the 60's he replaced the 265 with a built 327, later replacing that with a 383 stroker, all engines using the same tri-power set-up. it had quite the reputation around town, most people knew to avoid racing it but once in a while he would catch an unsuspecting opponent. he told me all kind of stories about what it had beaten, but he said his favorite was in the mid 60's when two guys at his gas station were arguing about which of their Vettes was fastest, he challenged the winner. they scoffed about the stock looking sedan even coming close to being in their league & he absolutely destroyed a 327-365hp coupe. we heard the family sold it after his death, but none of my crowd has seen it since.

3. actually in post #20 I gave modern documentation from The Rodders Journal. They could have been wrong, they were posting a very old pic.

Thanks to @roundvalley I have some earlier documentation, I had actually blown this thread off as gone and forgotten but just for clarities sake and because someone drug it back up here is some documentation from '55. This may not be the first but we can say that at least by '55 right?

DSC00556.JPG

DSC00555.JPG

Now the real question is who remembers R&C being a 25 cent magazine. :D

Spoggie likes this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well Moon had an adaptor already made so I would say that Moon did it first, at least for mock up...

5. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

I THINK GARY STILL HAS HIS 33 FORD

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. Damn that coupe is the duck's guts.

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost 3 months and we're still defining? As usual 'beaner, good catch and post, especially when you consider how long it took for stuff to make print. Could we say it was late summer/early autumn 55 it was shot and wrote up? By Jan 56 there had to be dozens from coast to coast and we'd only have folklore available to record it. My entries into this discussion came from such stories I've been hearing for decades. While not SBC, Wm Clay Ford and Jim White sat at our dining room table having coffee with my dear departed Mom back in early 65. They and Dick Mitchell stopped over in a 65 Mustang fastback that was stuffed with a 427, Dear ol Dad and "Mitch" were out beating on it for a 1/2 hour. Afterward the 3 of em left to go on their evening prowl of racing, drinking and who-knows-what. Hold a gun to my head, I wouldn't change a word of that story. I guess the point is that we may never know truly "who's on 1st, what's on 2nd...", will we? While I can't remember word for word everything I've been told, well you could say that the OEMs used to be heroic in their hot rod endeavors.

falcongeorge and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  8. Baldies

Baldies

As long as this thread is reopened, I am going to stir the pot and give my 2 cents.
    Plane and simple, the cut off point for a hot rod was based on when the cars came out without running boards. If you can not run a car without fenders, you can not make a hot rod out of it.

9. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

theHighlander nailed it, not sure we can add too much more here

10. Hell, I can pull the fenders & quarters off a Vega.Be like naked crack whore, but anyway......

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You can't "pull" the 1/4s off a vega without a cutting torch...

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to stir counter-clockwise with a question. What's it like living in such a small box? I guess Ryan's "Full Fendered" gig was a custom. Or do you mean that they could be removed but it's not required? This is the problem we can have with excess efforts applied to define something. What we do has so many variants that definitions simply don't work. Just sayin, or stirrin...?

13. Likely can't pull them off a field found 32 sedan with out a torch either. But you digress....;)

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If he had said "the cut off point for a traditional hot rod was when they started to come without running boards" and stopped there, I would be nodding in agreement. The irony here is, the car that is widely accepted (go way back to the first page and look at bennos posts) as the first hot rod with a sbc was full fendered.

15. Crazy thread this is. Always gets close to the original question but then veers off into the definition of a hotrod.
    A hotrod is so many things to so many people that it cannot be clearly defined.
    But, when the first sbc was put into something other than its intended vehicle can be defined.
    I'm sure GM intended for it to be done just by its design. And guys like Beano have come up with good document as well.
    Carry on Hot rodders....

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

For crissake. The ORIGINAL question was answered 9 pages ago, and that has been pointed out three or four times since, twice by me. Gotta love the HAMB...

26 T Ford RPU and roundvalley like this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Probably cause whole thread readers [wtr] are not the norm...o_O

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  18. ever wonder who hit the ignore button for you. ............now you know......:D:cool:

falcongeorge likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This pot needs stirr'n again.
    Anybody that thinks that a 55 Chevy can't be a hot rod should ask the guys that bought new 54 Chevy's what they have to say about it.:p

20. Well then can't you just ignore the thread?
    Were you a hall monitor in high school?

This is going to come as a shock to you - there could still be other, even earlier examples - and no one told - YOU.

I was just telling my contractor buddies how much more cool car guys are, and I'm almost regretting it.;)

21. Didn't I post this article?

And yes, I remember all the 25 cent pocket mags - I'm just pissed I cannot for the life of me remember all the mag names.

There were a bunch more than just R&C and CC.
    (shrugs)

22. Baldies

Baldies

Just because a car is old does not mean it can be called a hot rod. If you alter it with a bigger engine, you might call it a street rod. But going by the way some people think, a Corvette DO6 is a hot rod. The car in my avatar is not a hot rod and is not a custom, it's a street rod. Or, as we called them 50 years ago, a rod.

volvobrynk and X38 like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, but I sure as fuck can ignore you.

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

LOL...

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. No, you can't.
    LOL
    I see a wedgie in your future.

26. It was preached to me from day one that real Hot Rods don't have hoods or fenders.

27. "real hot rod"

Everybody called them everything growing up. I didn't care then, and I don't care now.
    Some looked good, some looked like shit, and the cool kids - we were out learning about life.

Big Whoop!