Register now to get rid of these ads!

Studebaker 289 speed parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocsMachine, Oct 30, 2011.

1. gasserstude

gasserstude

i have a 289 stude mototbored 060 forged piston balanced crank and rods heads have been ported and polished block and heads decked its got a phil harris cam450 ex 439 int 226 at 050 dur 110 ls new rings and gaskets ready to go in prime oil pump 60psi email me at [email protected] or call mark at 815 674 7260 thats my cell phone leave voice mail if i dont answer price 2000.00 also i have acomplete 1963 289 still in the car running 41000 miles for 1200.00 thanks mark

2. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

OK... mine is probably a long way from "high horsepower" but I just picked up what is supposed to be a "good running 1958 Sweepstakes 289"

this motor & maybe the tranny ( a 3 speed overdrive ) is going in a 46 Stude hot rod truck project...

if the motor came with a 2 barrel carb, I assume I have a lower power cam grind ??? heads???

I'd like to find a set of Stude finned aluminum valve covers, a 4 barrel ( or double 2 barrel ) manifold, & maybe a couple other things to start with, & once the project is together & hopefully running, then look at hopping up the performance some...

I wanted to bring this thread back up, & see haw you guys have been doing... sounded like the O.P's goals, & mine were similar...

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

On the intake vs. cam..
    Heads are much the same throught Studedome. Some small ratio differences, but unless you have a set of R3/R4 heads, the int. and exh. ports are the same.

Not much on the cams. I (had them ground!) just got done making up a bunch of roller cams.
    More may be available after the gear drives are complete.

Working on adjustable cam gear drives right now, so the cam to crank timing can be adjusted for max power. It will include a custom front cover, (no fuel pump boss).

Contact Phil Harris (Fairborn Studebaker) for many hot rod parts.

Mike

4. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Not to hijack but what plymouth motor is that?!...a 23" or a 25"?...and how'd you do that cause I want to!!!!!!!!
    I have a lil 201ci out of my '40{avatar} and a '52 winsor 265ci that's to take it's place{no replacement for displacement}. Pm me if you wish to keep the thread clean..but please tell me!

5. I'd like to up the performance of my '55 President 259 powered coupe just a notch. I think has about 8.0:1 compression. I was thinking that swapping the heads might enable me to take it up to 9.0 or 9.5. Is this a viable option? Would this modification be something you could that could be felt in the seat of the pants? I'm not talking about a 10 second quarter. Just a little bit omph ! What cast # should I be looking for? Any modificatins need to be made?

stillrunners likes this.
  6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

From experience if Lionel Stone's parts and knowledge is/was passed on that would be a good thing.
    Mr. and Mrs. Stone were very good to work with. John

7. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

8. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Don't count out Stude engines..
    Jim Lange intends on putting major boost into his latest engine in a quest to go 250mph at Bonneville this August.

9. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Here's my latest Stude engine build.....
    289 bored .060" - Novi 2000 supercharger - Howard's rods - Ross pistons - Powerjection III EFI (E-85) - Ported heads, 4 tube headers o_O - Ishihara-Johnson crank scraper - roller cam - adjustable timing gear - roller cam - roller rockers - crank trigger MSD.
    Yes, Stude powered speed is alive and well!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stillrunners and Dick Stevens like this.
  10. wow...^^^^^^^^^......and wow...^^^^^.......

11. A quick question why would to loose a shaft rocker setup in favor of stud mounts. If you go stud mounts you will then need guide plates and if you do guide plates correctly you will want to go with molly pushrods ( actually Moroso makes a composite guide plate that you can run with stock pushrods).

If your rockers are not adjustable just get older adjustable rockers.

Anyway why take a rocker setup that is inherently stable and replace it with one that is not?

If you are going with a huffer you can either get your cam reground to a huffer grind or perhaps find one already. I am not sure what you are running for a carb but if you don't have one get one set up that way.

The absolute best performance part on any engine is setup, or blue printing if you prefer.

12. RAK

RAK

Here's a link to the Bob Johnstone Stude site that has TONS of info about everything Studebaker. The link is to an info page about Dave Thibault who used to sell hydraulic cam/lifter sets. He has lots of other good stuff though.....
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/vendors/tbow/tbow0513b.html

13. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Just finished this Offy triple deuce intake for a Stude V8 (from a Caddy start)[​IMG]

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  14. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Fixed up and polished this Stud-A-Motive intake....

[​IMG]

15. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Built up this Weber cross ram setup for a Stude V8

[​IMG]

16. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Here's a low profile single plane intake for 'hood challenged' V8 Stude's (Avanti's)

[​IMG]

17. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Here's an 'air gap' dual plane intake on a nice 289 Stude V8 in a Champ truck...

[​IMG]

18. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Here's an Edelbrock single plane modified to fit a Stude V8 race engine...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Wow.....really nice work there Jeff ! Any results you can share from how the cars/trucks are running ?

lawrence

20. On what Pork - was saying -Ihad met some Stude guys that did a little roundy round and would stop of often when I was up in North Oklahoma..I stopped by and they were working over the rockers and shaft's by the old lathe. The dad was making some bronze or copper bushings that he said would tighten them up a little. They really loved showing up for the local dirt track running their old Stude up against the others.​

21. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Tom Covington has one of my single plane intakes on his drag Avanti, and he has slowed it down to run the 10 flat bracket. He has run 9.73's with it.
    Jack Heidel is running one of my low profile intakes on his land speed (stock hood) Avanti. No other changes, he went 6 MPH faster with that intake (259 n/a...About 136 mph in a mile (Wilmington).
    Mike Myers has one of my tunnel rams on 'Spooky'right now (a dual SN supercharged R3 Lark drag car...
    Lot's of street cars running the air gap intakes. Lot's of happy customers.
    That drag engine has not been run yet. The car is being finished now (wiring it up)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Are those cut and welded MoPar B block intakes? Really nice stuff.

23. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Yes and no... The triple deuce is a Caddy origin, and the Weber setup started out as a Chevy..
    Most of what I do is small block Mopar based, but nuthin' scares me..
    cut up anything and make it work..;)
    Here's a dual quad setup....
    [​IMG]
    Jeff:cool:

24. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

And I do some vintage restoration and modification, too.
    Here's a Studa-Motiv 101 intake..
    I made up a new top plate for a three deuce setup, and polished it
    o_O
    [​IMG]
    And a Smoljan repop that went through the agony of polishing...

[​IMG]

And an original Offy 4bbl. Custom plate added to fit a late AFB/Holley.
    [​IMG]

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Really nice parts. I don't need any. But if i did I would know who to call.

26. Love this three deuce intake!

27. @DEEPNHOCK Since you seem to be the Stude intake man. I was wondering what you thought were on the Old Edmunds intakes? I have the one below on my 259 stude and love the way it look but was just curious about it performance compared to others, say one of the modified tri power ones or 2 fours...

2553782-5375b3c5bbffb72f468f498b0c20d59f.jpg

28. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Nailhead -

I know you are asking Jeff, but for a quick answer, those twin-two barrel manifolds were designed for the early small port heads. They also have correspondingly small ports.
    So that said, they'll run around town quite nicely, but for any performance use, they'll fall pretty short.
    All of those twin two barrel designs along with the Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold are of the small port design.
    There is no "Studebaker" 2x4 manifolds other than the R3 or the "modified R3" for stock heads. They'll "work"...if you can find some SMALL carburetors. Work well is another story without corresponding work in the rest of the engine.
    The only other version of that is in Cadillac form. And to make one work even sort of properly...is a money wasting effort...though they can be bolted on with some modifications.
    The Cad tri-power...see above.

Mike

29. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Mike said it well.
    These would be great on a mild street engine....
    Idle to 5,000....
    The Stude engine is a stout piece, but not a superb breather.
    A great intake will always be limited by the heads.
    So.. Try and put a 'package' together...
    Soon... I will have an offering of Stude CNC ported cast iron heads..
    Priced reasonable.. Toss on one of my manifolds... Decent bang for the buck...

Have done several tunnel rams.....

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I did make a raised exhaust port Stude head. Did away with the Siamesed center exhaust port. looked pretty good to me, but everybody sait the intake was the bottleneck. So there was no use to improve the exhaust. A little hard for me to believe, but that was the end of it.