Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What is it? Supercharger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inline, Aug 23, 2016.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

looks to be for a Buick engine, 1953-1966 (264-425 CID)

2. The inside of this device looked very familiar. Years ago I worked with a larger scale version of a similar machine called an Entoleter. Generically I guess it's known as an impact mill. The one I worked a bit with was used to grind and blend Teflon powder for compression molding.

Looks like the same kind of machine is also used for grinding grain and pigments for paints and dyes. Maybe yours is for "grinding" and blending fuel molecules? o_O

http://www.entoleter.com/impactindustry.htm

3. When I visited the UFO Store in Roswell, NM they had one of them things
    that they took out of a UFO.!

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home.!

4. squirrel

squirrel

It's a work of art! A neat idea, but of course it doesn't do anything.

Thanks for the look inside. I was wrong.

5. Scott

Scott

The grand daddy to the tornado

6. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

That's cool shit right there buddy. If it was mine, I'd chrome it, put in new bearings, put it on a little engine that it won't restrict (maybe a 4 cylinder) with a screen of some sort to keep shrapnel out of the cylinders if it flies apart and run it. I'd just about guarantee you'll get more questions asked about it than you can stand to answer. Should be lots of fun and probably won't hurt anything.

7. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Of course, I'd have to lie a little and tell folks with a straight face that I'm getting 53.6 miles per gallon since I put it on and only have to start it on gas, then it runs on water and kerosene. Or better yet, water and used paint thinner that I get free at the body shop down the street.

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I am not so sure it even goes on an engine. o_O

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

Interocitor

Haven't seen one since the fifties.

gas pumper likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like something to fluff up the air to me.

11. I think you should try shoving pasta through it and see if macaroni comes out the other end!

Torkwrench, rjones35 and loudbang like this.
  12. SR100

SR100

Its kind of out of left field, and I don't know why they'd make one for a Buick, but I think its a kerosene induction system. They'd typically be used on farms (and some export markets). There was a lot of buzz around using kerosene in the '20s & '30s. Its a little surprising to see GM looking at it again after the war.

13. zzford

zzford

I recognized immediately. It is a flutter valve for the asshole of a hobby horse. My first job was an installation technician for them.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not really sure that you should be in charge of a fine-looking ride such as in your avatar ! Just saying.

racingonerobb likes this.
  15. xracer40

xracer40

I think it's probably a prototype of a constant flow fuel injection system that used a stock intake manifold. Looking at the different parts it would function something like the early corvette FI system except it used the spinning vanes to atomize the fuel for all the cylinders. I would bet old Zora Duntov himself had his hands on that piece at some point.

16. Duntov was a philanderer? I did not know that.

xracer40 likes this.
  17. LOL!

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys surprise us most times with the knowledge base but y'all missed it with this one. It's a mothball grinder. We all know they increase HP, right? How much better can it get with ground up and atomized mothballs?

Seriously, it's real kool and worthy of clean up and display.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  19. R Pope

R Pope

There are three vanes on the back side of the spinning disc. Air enters the chamber by the co-axial hole around the shaft, goes out around the disc, then through the "chopper blades", past the stationary blades, and down into the intake manifold. It might actually have made a bit of boost. There were superchargers made that drove like that, I think Cord used one type, and there was one made for Ford flatties. I forget the name of the company that built them.

20. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

I really doubt that the thing made any amount of boost. I am still unsure if it ran on petrol or if it was for gas, either natural gas or propane. There doesn't appear to be much of a seal in the "barrel" valve, so I doubt know how it prevented fuel from leaking down into the vein area.

I am going to try and hook up a small electric fuel pump to the barrel valve and see if it will hold pressure. If it does and if there is any type of flow control, I have an engine that I can put it on to give it a try.

Also, I was thinking of modifying the internals to adapt a turbo compressor wheel and housing that would be hidden in the base. I would have to make some changes to the gearing but I think it might be doable...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. lostmind

lostmind

Scott superchargers were around in the flathead era

22. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

I dunno what it is, but put it on Ebay with "rat rod" in the title and you'll get three times the price.

Torkwrench and C. John Stutzer like this.
  23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Smoky Yunick prototype 'Homoganizer'

24. rjones35

rjones35

its neat looking whatever it is. probably won't be able to sleep tonite, wondering what it is....

25. I have to go with the general consensus that it is some type fuel atomizer, or and aid to help fuel atomization. Probably born out of the 70's fuel crisis when mfrs were looking for better mpg and emissions, but still using carburetors. The logic behind would be to get the maximum atomization of the fuel so the max energy and complete burn would occur.

26. Phil1934

Phil1934

27. squirrel

squirrel

folks went to a lot of trouble to make this stuff, and it turns out that it doesn't really do anything useful. If it did, you'd see it on every new car

LostBoy likes this.
  28. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

I've used that thing 3 times and the wife says that I do look larger..........:D

Flatblack 31 likes this.
  29. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Probably came off his Fiero.