Register now to get rid of these ads!

Me & Gramps' '51 GMC 5 Window Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cubby, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Thanks TEB, it's always nice to see something take the shape of what you envisioned at the beginning. I agree, nothing made a bigger difference than the wheels and tires!

2. shadams

shadams

Oh yea. for sure from the bed wood and a full tank of gas, not so much settling thought but damn it rides great.

3. greaser

greaser

Wow Cubby, looks great with those new tires and wheels! Has Gramps driven it yet?
    Thanks for all the details and pictures during the construction. Awesome job! You and your Gramps must be very proud.

4. Thanks Greaser! We've taken it for a couple spins up and down his county road, but that was before it was painted. Thanks for the kind words, we're thrilled with how it's turned out! Final stretch to completion...

5. So we completely forgot the "eyebrows" when we installed the vent windows and after going back and forth decided to pull the windows and add them.

[​IMG]

I think they add a little something to the truck and I'm glad we opted to fix our mistake.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  6. Inner window trim is all buffed up and in. This leaves the windshield, weatherstrip install, bed wood, reworking the exhaust, headliner, and a few other interior things. We also still haven't tackled the lock bead on the corner glass yet, hoping that warmer weather will help soften the rubber some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PurdueSD likes this.
  7. Windshield is in. Wish I could say it was a piece of cake, but it was a pain. The string technique is definitely the one to use, but man that was a tight fit. My wife even came out and helped us. I don't know how anyone manages to do this by themselves without losing their mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Both of our girls have been born since this truck project began, pretty cool to have it as this point and see them both sitting in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

greaser and PurdueSD like this.
  9. After the windshield we got the windlace put in. Another part of this truck that will lead you to the nuthouse. I'm sure if we had replaced the track it would have helped. After fighting it for what seemed like forever we reserved ourselves to the fact we would need to do it in two sections and splice them together. It turned out pretty good and we used a piece of 3/8 copper pipe to hold the two tube pieces together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. In what must have been an effort to remain frustrated, we moved on to the headliner. What a piece of junk. We ended up having to trim part of the curve off the back of the front section just to get it to go into the floating center retainer. This surprisingly led to the back portion being just the right length. It's a little short on the sides and doesn't quite go into the windlace on either side of the cab. I'll have to figure out something to hide the paint showing. One A pillar looks great, the other not so much. I guess one can only expect so much from cardboard. After the headliner we tightened up the windshield trim, drilled holes for and added the center trim pieces and went to work on the visors. The headliner didn't have the holes so we worked off a photo and punched with our fingers crossed. Fortunately it worked out on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Added both mirrors and called it a day. So close I can taste it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  12. nice! I love the deluxe windshield trim! hopping I can fina glass guy that is willing to do mine. I've heard the trim makes the job triple suck!

Cubby likes this.
  13. Looking good Cubby!

Cubby likes this.
  14. I definitely think the trim adds something to the truck, but it also adds to the frustration during the install.

15. Not a really exciting update, but the floor mat and lower sill plates are in. Glasspacks are in the mail from Jegs headed our direction. I picked up some black vinyl to match the seat and my wife is going to help me make some kick panels and pleated upper door panels at some point. I've gone back and forth with how I want to do the bed wood, but I definitely don't plan on running metal strips.

[​IMG]

16. Looking great! I might have missed it, but did you install sound deadening under the mat? If so, what did you decide to go with?

17. I did- I went with the peel n stick stuff from Lowe's. It's been the only thing on the floor for a year and a half and its held up great.

18. Pulled the doors off yesterday and added the weatherstripping around the doors. I found a video on YouTube that helped settle the debate we were having as to how the weatherstripping needed to lay. I had thought we might try and put it on with the doors still on, but we quickly realized that would be a nightmare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. We decided to add small rubber bumpers to the bumper. It allows me to open the tailgate and lay it down without risking paint damage from the two meeting or using the chains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Took our first cruise around town and it felt very surreal. We circled the square and cruised through the heart of town with people honking and waving as we passed. We were a one truck parade and it was a blast! Other than some minor upholstery items all she needs is bed wood. I'll be sure to update once those things are added. It's been four and a half years since we started. I've learned a lot, laughed a lot, screwed up plenty, and spent more money than my wife would like to think about...but I am so grateful for the time with my grandpa that this truck project has provided. Thanks to those who have followed along on this journey...I know it's been long and slow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. greaser

greaser

Great job, guys! That smile on Gramps face, tooling down the road is the best reward anyone can get.
    Cubby, you are a lucky man. Wonderful family, and now a great pickup with memories to last a lifetime.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Good looking truck.Gramps looks very happy.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Cubby, you have made Pee Paw a happy guy. That pic of him driving is priceless. Great job.

24. Wow, great to see it on the road! You started yours about the time I started mine, but you work faster that I do :)
    Great job!

25. Thanks fellas for the kind words! He was a happy guy indeed!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  26. Gotta pick up a spare yet, but everything is in place on the truck. Cranks really well with the homemade handle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Finally took the truck home today! Gramps jokes about looking forward to the extra shop space, but he's gonna miss having the truck there to piddle on. I couldn't be happier with how well the 70 mile drive went, not a single hiccup. Took the girls for a cruise around the neighborhood and I'm taking the oldest to preschool in the truck in the morning. I'm guessing the next 70 miles will be driven pretty quickly!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

treb11, little red 50, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  28. Dude, you gotta get outta the burbs. Somewhere you can build you a shop to build more of these!

Cubby and bengeltiger like this.
  29. Man!,...that thing is TOO NICE!,..great job all around, beautiful pickup.