Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A Hot Rod restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927graham, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Changed the seating, got rid of the single 2" pad that served as the seat bottom, replaced it with two separate cushions, 4" longer with the fronts kicked up 8", the back panel was reworked/recovered and I eliminated 1" of thickness and sculpted the bottom by 1". Model A' PU's didn't have much room, people were a little smaller back then, at 5' 10" and 185 lbs. I'm much better positioned and more comfortable, did a couple of 2 hr. road trips this weekend, so much better.
    mod seat.jpg avatar.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Do you have long arms and short legs?
    Or do you have a picture of you in the seat?

It looks odd, but might be a matter of preference. I like my steering wheel closer and the option to have a little rooms behind the wheel.
    I got a case of long legs and short arms. So I prefer the more old fashioned seating position of a old Stock car, steering closer to my chest so I can man handle it in to position like one of Smokey drivers put it: I want to lean in with my full body, line it up and let "King George" follow me true.

I'm working on my own seats for a roadster, and your seats look comfy.

BigKel and loudbang like this.
  3. haha .... yep, me too. James Vernon Campbell 1921 - 1982 .... Beckley WV coal miner in love with black polished paint to his very last day. :)
    You know what I think about your A .... but I tell you what, you also have great tastes for Mother's Day adventures Craig. Thats the stuff right there. Stellar !

loudbang and 1927graham like this.
  4. Been going to 2-3 shows/cruise ins a week, last week to Fairmont, MN gathering put on by the Borderline Cruisers club, very well organized and very hot that day, 94 degrees, the Buick engine ran 180 degrees for the 3 hours on the road, fun stuff.
    IMG_1138.jpg IMG_1288.jpg

5. johnod

johnod

I love this truck, so much in fact it nearly made me forget kidcambell71's avatar

6. Nobody could forget Campbell's avatar!!

7. Finally got rid of the clear vinyl fuel lines, though I've used this material for years with no problems, feel more comfortable now!
    nnna.jpg bgswsww.jpg

8. At a get together in North Mankato, MN last Thursday and a friend remarked, this picture looked like a Norman Rockwell scene, he might be right, thought I'd share!
    14045868_1258267294206200_9152743309942855882_n.jpg

duecesteve, brEad, Blue One and 11 others like this.
  9. Craig that photo looks great. I hope to make the next one!

1927graham and 30TudorSedan like this.
  10. Hope to see you Eric, quit that damned drag racing!

11. If my Chevy was road worthy, I'd be driving it today.:( How's the house situation coming along?

1927graham likes this.
  12. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great car and a wonderful build thread. Thank you for sharing. Also just wanted to say you are an inspiration and terrific advocate for the hobby with the right attitude about having fun and sharing with friends and family. We have family in the Waterville area and drive the 1200 miles to visit from Austin, Tx. So nice to see pictures of Tucker's Tavern - we ate there a month ago!

1927graham and loudbang like this.
  13. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Nicely done.

1927graham likes this.
  14. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Any updates?

1927graham likes this.
  15. Well, sold my lake home in MN and just moved into a home I had built in River Falls, WI., to be closer to my daughter and family, the shop is a little larger and looking forward to finishing it out in the next few months. The Model A is in storage as is a lot of my shop things, gonna be a great summer. I very much appreciate your interest, traditional hot rods are what this sport is all about, at least for me.

16. Hi Chuck, moved into my new home Jan. 6th, waiting for the guys to finish the knock down ceiling in the garage/shop, then I'll start building the benches, the vertical wood siding on the shop walls is finished, happy with the workmanship, this is the last move for this old guy, wishing you well!

17. rolltideglin

rolltideglin

Super NICE HOT rod Truck,really like Nailhead.....

1927graham likes this.
  18. Thank you for the kind words, I like the Buick as well, this is the first one I've owned, it does real well. When I was a youngster my folks bought a new 55 Buick w/a 322 in it, the first car I ever drove, was nice finding another 322 for this Model A. Wishing you well and hope you have a great year!!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This part of the thread is useless without pictures ;)
    Would love to see pics of the new digs and shop too. :cool:
    Larry.

1927graham likes this.
  20. Hi Larry, I'll post a few pictures you requested but give me a month or so to get the garage/shop finished, be glad to post a few of the home now. I'm not rich but just downsizing from the lake property I had in MN, always good to hear from you.
    FullSizeR.jpg
    This was a few months ago, the outside in now finished with the exception of the deck.
    new shop.jpg Took this for a friend who was interested in the heater/mounting, the ceiling is now finished, they will paint it in a few days, I'll start trimming it out (cedar) next week, then the floor people will diamond grind the concrete and lay down a thick, penetrating polymer base coat and 2 polyurethane top coats, I'll then build the new benches. Not much to see with this pic, sorry.
    home.jpg Living room wall, the home is now finished inside.
    phono 2.jpg Dinning room table and my antiques, got a house full. Thanks Larry for your interest.

slv63, clunker, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks pretty nice. Hope the garage -shop will be big enough for your needs. It's sometimes hard to make them be big enough :)
    Larry

loudbang and 1927graham like this.
  22. Not a large garage but bigger than I had at the lake, I'm looking forward to the next few weeks, my focus is on the garage, it will serve me well, I like doing this stuff!

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Where did you get the carb velocity stacks ? For some reason I haven't ran across that style with the rolled lip.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  24. These are from Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed: http://vintagespeed.com/
    yb.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  25. The garage/shop is coming along nicely, the ceiling plaster/paint is finished, as is the hardboard sidewalls and cedar trim, the floor will be finished with a polymer base coat and a polyureathane top coat, scheduled March13, all I'll have left is to build the work benches. I'm very anxious to get my Model A out of storage and bring her home, I miss her!!

shop 4.jpg shop5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  26. The shop floor was finished yesterday, SuperiorGarageFloor.com, River Falls, WI. Just amazing, I'll do the baseboard today!
    floor 2.jpg floor 1.jpg

27. greaser

greaser

Great looking floor. Must be sloped to the door?

1927graham likes this.
  28. Yeah, the builder put 4" of fall in the floor, I'll paint that step today and get the baseboard in, this shop, though small, will work well for me!! Thanks for your interest.

Craig

loudbang likes this.
  29. Got the new garage/shop mostly finished! Really like the 46" Milwaukee tool cabinet, recommended.
    mil 1.jpg mil 2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  30. Today I got the Model A out of storage and brought her to her new home, happy day!!
    rf3.jpg rf1.jpg rf2.jpg

Attached Files:

• rf1.jpg
      rf1.jpg
      File size:
      209.3 KB
      Views: