Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are 350 turbo tranny body larger than Aluminum powerglide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOW LID DUDE, Aug 26, 2016.

1. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Stupid question! I have a aluminum powerglide in my T coupe hot rod. I have had nothing but trouble with it even after I had a guy rebuild it. Got screwed out of $ ! I am thinking about changing over to a 350 turbo. I was wondering if the body is larger so I won't have to cut up the floor .I realize the tranny mount and drive shaft might have to be altered. I would hate to cut the floor up if I have to. Just wondering before I dive in and waste more $.

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The glide tapers down towards the tailshaft a little earlier, the t350 is bulkier toward the rear of the main case, but unless your hump really fits the glide REALLY snug, I doubt it will make any difference. Theres really not a big difference in overall girth between the two.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The aluminum Glide is dimensionally smaller, and much lighter, but in most situations, a TH350 should fit in the same space. What is the specific problem with your Glide? Hard to understand why anyone with transmission experience could't build a first rate Glide. I've been building them since 1974, and a lot of it was trial and error. Get yourself a copy of Carl Munroe's (RIP) book, "Powerglide Transmission Handbook-How To Rebuild Or Modify Chevrolet's Powerglide For All Applications". You can find a copy on E-Bay for as little as $16.00, and you'll learn more about the Glide than you thought was possible. That book has become my "Bible".
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Morrisman, loudbang and Hnstray like this.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Personally, I have built more T350's than glides (and more TF's, c-4's and c-6's than t350's, but thats another story) but I totally agree with Butch, theres no reason you should be having trouble with glides. You need a different transmission guy more than you need a different transmission.
    Better yet, like Butch says, read up and do it yourself. I built my first automatic (tf) as a teenager, just kept it clean used a shop manual. Its not difficult.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  6. I had to fit aT350 into a car which was originally housing a powerglide, the body of the T350 fit OK, but I had to make room for the modulator (on the Left) .

loudbang likes this.
  7. i agree with all the above....the aluminum case Powerglide should be fine if rebuilt properly. i have used several in projects with absolutely no problems

do you have the kickdown hooked up?

knotheads likes this.
  8. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Thanks you guys for the information,yes I do need a good tranny guy. I don't trust his work anymore.I had the tranny out for him. I did hook up the kickdown properly. Some times it slips in reverse.I have the proper fluid level.The rpm's are much higher like it is in low gear all the time and it leaks like the ss valdese, LOL. I am a body man not a tranny guy, that's why I paid $ 1,000 for someone else at a tranny shop to do it. He is avoiding me. Anyway thanks again guys for the information.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I just swapped a 'glide for a th350 in a '57 Chevy. It fit fine in that. If you get a short (6") tailshaft, it is close enough you may or may not need to slot the holes for the mount.

loudbang likes this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Thank you mgtstumpy for the blue prints of tranny measurements. Man your custom in your avatar is awesome.I have a 48 Chevy Fleetline that I grafted a Airflow front end on. I dig them. My web sight is ( have top will chop. com)if you want to check it out.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The heart/soul always know's.

13. Joe H

Joe H

I swapped a two speed out of a '65 Tempest with a T350. I made no changes other then cooler lines. Driveline fit right in along with crossmember. Floor even and the correct clearance.

14. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I just paid a bunch of money to get a scrap yard 'glide rebuilt, and after I got it back the builder told me it was an early one with a rear pump and a 16 spline output. Seems I have a bit of a lemon, as nobody where I live has a suitable sli[p yoke, so I have to order one from Dennys drive shafts.....and shipping and duties will tear me a new one. Wish I'd stuck with a TH350 now.......

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That trans was most likely a Super Turbine 300, 2 speed. It is very similar to a Powerglide, but it is also similar to a TH350. They get called "Powerglides", but are't. However, there is a very rare, BOP bellhousing, actual POWERGLIDE. The BOP drag racers pay good prices for those. Some of the Super Turbine 300's have the Switch Pitch feature of a dual stall speed torque converter, similar to the TH400 Switch Pitch.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cripes, and to think I bitch about shipping! I cant Imagine building a hot rod in the Phillipines, THATS commitment!

Morrisman likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

let me google that for you

[​IMG]

notice the TH350 is closer to the camera, so it appears a bit bigger. The main body is longer, but only slightly larger in diameter than the PG.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Thanks squirel for the photo, It shows side by side a lot of what I was asking! Thank you.

19. squirrel

squirrel

glad to help. The pic took some effort to find, on google :)

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Wow, I had a 'glide rebuilt 2 years ago and it cost me $400, with a shift kit and new convertor.

Sounds like you have the wrong size convertor for starters. Go kick your tranny guy in the nuts.

slack and falcongeorge like this.
  21. I just had a look at my installation, and it was the SERVO COVER on the (your ) driver's side which I had to clear. You can see it clearly on Sqirrel's picture of the 2 trans he posted.
    I did have to make a small notch to clear the modulator, but only an inch or so.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I doubt the slippage is due to the wrong converter, more likely its leaking internally. More serious, kick him in the nuts twice...

23. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Yes, it make everything just that little bit harder. ;)

You would not believe what I just had to pay to order, ship and get reamed for tax and import duties on a 16 spline yoke from the USA! :eek::oops::confused::(

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

even shipping to Canada is like triple what it is in US.