Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The whole Hot Rod IS the sum of its parts.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The whole Hot Rod IS the sum of its parts.

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Well said. For a long time I've admired your roadster and its simplicity. I've also wondered for a long time what the story is behind the green passenger door? Any plans to add an extra pedal and put a manual transmission in it? Possibly an early toploader?

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

A hot rod without all the 'correct' parts that is driven, is far better than the project in the garage that is waiting for 'correct' parts.
    None of my hot rods are totally 'correct', in fact I have had them so long 'correct' parts list has changed with time.

brushape, Tim and GreenMonster48 like this.
  4. My build is not as hardcore traditional, but the key parts I wanted were: the right big and little white wall bias plys with 40-48 steelies, Finned Vette valve covers, 39 deluxe headlights, and the stock column switch/push button start. And weirdly I wanted to keep the sideshift 3 on the tree. I also scored a 3.54 center section for my rear. That wasn't planned but it was cool to get.

I wanted multiple carbs, 3x2s probably, but money ran out and it runs pretty good with the single 4.

5. "The moral of the story? The key to any budget build’s success is picking all those particular special bits that can outweigh the more mundane ones."

A reading from the Gospel of Traditional Hot Rods, Amen

6. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Yes-- Phase II is a 4 speed behind the Caddy, and a QC in the rear. I'm toying with putting the car on Deuce rails as well, but I love the fact my frame and body left the factory together in 1929. The green door was a last minute find after the original passenger door was missing most of the inner structure. Never got around to painting it!

7. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen!

8. Well my young friend its synergy. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum total of the parts. ;)

Looks like have chosen well, we should all posses the wisdom to choose wisely. ;)

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Patience, patience, patience if you are using retro parts unless you have a barn full of them as Tardel does. It took me ten years of scrounging swaps to put mine together enough to drive it and another twenty to get it as it is today.

Gary

need louvers ? likes this.
  10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Finding the correct parts is important to making a build look correct. Although not every part needs to be vintage its details that make an OK car look great! I considered this when I started putting together parts for my project. I chose to run knee action shocks rather than tube shocks for example. Hardware makes a big difference too. Antique fasteners look more correct to me. I guess that is the restorer in me talking. All about details in my opinion

11. cfmvw

cfmvw

For me it's always been reworking parts to make them look like they came that way; I've seen a lot of neat design touches that were custom-made, but so well integrated into the build that I would never have guessed otherwise.

12. Moral of the story is we need more pics.

rpm56 likes this.
  13. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Just a fine looking car!.....the car has a real nice ''vibe'' to it! It's pretty darn cool...I can almost feel the whole ''essence of the car'' and what it projects in quiet admiration and observation.....it's a nice, nice car...got any more pictures???;):)

14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Here is a couple of examples from my almost finished coupe. I used old alemite grease fittings on the spring shackles and wire type hose clamps.
    You can also see my choice for shocks. This car will also have cloth wiring if I ever get it in the mail.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Squablow and falcongeorge like this.
  15. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

The hunt is also fun, got a slingshot off a guys wall in WC that had been stolen off his car 30 years prior and returned by the kid that stole it originally ! And a guy at Pleasanton gave me a Botteger chrome dome air cleaner, a bystander told the older gentleman " I'll give you a $100 for it " to which he replied " ask him (me) itz hiz now ". No way would I have sold it !!!

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been watching your build and think you are really gettin' along with it. I would like to know if I can keep the column shift linkage using a Chevy 3-spd overdrive trans behind the 327 ? I have a '40 Ford 2-dr also. Keep up the great work.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  17. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its is also nice looking back at the car and remembering parts that came from friends who have passed away, or road trips to find the part that looks just right to the builder. Some one else looks at your car and tells you they would do this or that, and you just think "they don't get it".

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was gonna say "two words...hose clamps", but I see someone already got there ahead of me...:D I'd way rather be building a car that I dont have to make excuses to myself for, than driving some half-assed pile...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Squablow likes this.
  19. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

I like your style falcongeorge ! The cars become elements of who we are.

Cosmo49 and falcongeorge like this.
  20. somebody say hose clamps???
    P8250006.JPG

-Brent-, Binger and falcongeorge like this.
  21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

This sort of stuff separates the good cars from the wanna be types. Classic or some shitty auto meters screwed into a dash just doesn't cut it on a traditional car. image.jpeg

Squablow and falcongeorge like this.
  22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I would have driven my roadster, but all I have been able to find is hose clamps with 1930 date codes instead of the 1931 that I want.......
    I love my half ass pile 59 Ford panel truck I drive to work most every day,,,
    And we drove our half ass pile 28 on 32 rails to 148 mph on the salt,,,,,

rpm56 and need louvers ? like this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

Nothing wrong with your car Bomber. I've seen it featured on a post on here, so that makes it famous (at least to us)!

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I thought I was anal about old parts until while driving out of a little local show a few years ago a guy hailed me down. When I pulled over he said he had noticed my Tornado headlight brackets. I got out and walked over to his A rod that also had the Tornado headlight brackets but as the guy pointed out had middle '50s Ford headlight bulbs. The guy said they were pretty dim but still marked 1955 Ford and that was important to him. I actually felt bad about my new Halogen bulbs that I was so proud of when I had installed them.
    Gary

25. heavydumper

heavydumper

Hello.

Where do you get the wire type hose clamps if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your time.

26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am lucky that I have a stash of some NOS in original boxes. My grandfather and dad started restoring cars in the 50's and I have no idea where they came from originally. I have seen some in the restoration supply catalog but they are $$$! Keep your eyes open at swap meets.

27. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Binger, your front suspension looks amazing. Please post more photos of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Here are a couple more pics of this project. I am almost finished. Please take a look at my build thread. There is a link in my signature.

29. Gotta love a Binger Banger! ;)

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe I deserve a bit of rath from the faithful, but sometimes you see so much of 1 thing that the effort and dedication to afford and use the stuff can be missed. Seeing a hiboy with a quicky out back is almost a cliche', the same with other nearly gratuitous traditional parts. I get that you apply due discipline to build a period car, that never gets missed. Still, in certain venues it's almost like going to a Super Chevy meet and seeing the same car over and over, by different owners. I have some seriously twisted traditional ideas for a build. $$$$$ is indeed the major factor that keeps me from doing it, but I can assure that there's very few "normal" applications to be applied and yet it will still be "right". No, I won't spell em out because they're unique ideas I'll save for me or a client.