Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I found a 64 Riviera - engine question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capochi, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Capochi

Capochi

Hi guys !!, I'm interested in 64 Riviera here in Italy, is in a good condition, some rust in the right corner under the rear window, I think is a classic point of rust in the Rivieras, and another point of rust in the roof rail the interior is in good condition the problem is the engine, it is not the original 401 the car mounts to 322 Nailhead; the question is, is a small engine for the 'car, it is a reliable engine ??

Here the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Are saying that it has a 322 cu. in. engine? That's a 53 to 56 vintage engine, 160 factory hp. Are you sure it's a 322? If it's moving the car along now it should be fine. 53 to 56 Buicks were as heavy as that Riviera which by the way looks pretty nice.

Pat

Capochi likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Should be a 425 with 340hp @ 4400 rpm and 465 ft/lbs torque @ 2800 rpm

322 (53-56) is 164hp-255hp

401 (59-66) is 265hp-325hp

Try here

4. Capochi

Capochi

Yes, is a 322 cu. Thanks Pat

Thanks for the info!

Yes Guys, the car was imported from USA in the 90's someone swaped the engine and put the 322 Nailhead, a 5.3L , I search on internet but not found nothing about this kind of swap, I think it is not very common.

I don't know if the 322 nailhead is small or is ok for a 64 Riviera...

Grazie!

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Super V8: 286ft lbs torque @ 2200 RPM Not as much torque to move it off the line by comparison to the OEM engine, 465 ft/lbs torque @ 2800 rpm

Capochi likes this.
  6. 322 is a good engine, but it wont move that Rivi near as well as the 425 or 401 would. At least it has a Nailhead in it. Curious how well it all fits in there. Different motor mounts starters and such. The bell housing is the same as the 364 to 425 series I believe. I have played with a bunch of 364 to 425 motors and they are outstanding motors. The car looks great. Make sure all the electrics are good in it as well. Most of those that I have seen have power windows and such and get very expensive to repair and sometimes tough to track down parts for.

Capochi likes this.
  7. The '53/'54 322s are not really desirable for a hot rod, in stock form they are fine. I don't remember all that is undesirable about them but a quick search should show you a thread about them.

It should pull you down the road fine but it won't be like driving a Riviera.

Capochi likes this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I really doubt they put a 322 in it, maybe a 364. A 322 has a different bellhousing pattern, so the Riv trans doesn't work. If the used the 322 trans it would be for a torque tube, etc. Not a direct bolt in swap.

Capochi likes this.
  9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Looks like it is time to check some engine numbers to verify that it is a 322.

Capochi likes this.
  10. Capochi

Capochi

The seller assured me that it is a 322, the next time I will see the car eand check the cast numbers and the electric issues. The car have a complete interior in godd conditions and has the power windows but I have to check if they work

Yes, I will do, but how to recognize a 364 to a 322??

Thanks Guys!

11. patterg2003

patterg2003

I go to the TeamBuick site for anything Buick. Good place to start for information.
    This is a list of the casting numbers for major parts used in the nailhead family. 364 and 401 are used in the same years of cars from about 1959 to early 60's when it was retired. A lot of parts are interchangeable between 364's and 401's.
    The link to the casting numbers.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/casting_numbers_nailhead.php
    The link to the Team Buick reference section and homepage.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/index.php
    http://www.teambuick.com/index.php
    The Buick 364 and 401 have different intakes and blocks so a good place to start checking numbers.
    Fingers crossed that it is at least a 364. A decent engine especially in the 300hp version. I was considering one for my 40 Ford so I was reading up on the Nailheads.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Capochi likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like it may have had the engine blown up not long after being imported and the engine in the car now was the Buick Nailhead that was available at the time and rather than swap to a Chevy or Olds or Pontiac engine they put that one in. I'd expect that there is a one off adapter between the engine and trans.
    As far as normal on the road driving the 322 has enough power to keep up with traffic but may be a bit under powered on steep mountain grades and have to keep out of the way of the fast cars on the Autobahn. Cruising at 80 is easy, cruising at 110 is working it a bit.

Capochi likes this.