Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2016 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks Ryan that was a blast. Seemed like a helluva car turn out and a lot of spectators too.

2. ryno

ryno

damn good time.

3. 4speedman

4speedman

Thanks for the nod, very cool vid. Had a hoot as always, thanks for all you do!

4. Well, shit..........I missed this year...was a tough year financially. Maybe next year.

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I'm glad it went so well. Thanks for another nicely written piece.

You know I love looking at and being inspired by your photography. Unfortunately, I was not able to see most of them full size due to slow WiFi here. Are they large files? All other HAMB photos load for me on this connection.

6. Brandi

Brandi

That was a damn good time.

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. BobbyFullen

BobbyFullen
    from Kerrville

I drove up from San Antonio in my 51 Ford, and I had a blast! The Drags were awesome! I will be coming back to this for sure! Thanks to everyone who worked at the event for making it a great time for all!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. studebaker46

studebaker46

this was my first time will definitely not be the last,met roadsirs and cactus1 in person and a couple other guys was really impressed with how down to earth and laid back everyone is. met mrs Cochran at the event booth did not realize they were all sisters, ryan you married into classy family. for an old guy like me the racing was just like the 60s thanx again tom

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I brought my 19 year old daughter along, first time for her to go to a drag race, and she's hooked. Great job Ryan, and thanks to the host of folks that pitch in to make it a success!

11. What!? We were angels the first year...................................

G V Gordon likes this.
  12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have it on my list for next year. Video was awesome.
    Tony

13. Awesome images and video!
    I'm still trying to recuperate from the trip... having had to return to work on Tuesday morning after 30 hours of driving!

My highlights are:
    -Spending 70+ hours in the truck with Lyle towing the Drag Rod at 80mph across 6 states powered by cheap gas, beef jerky, coffee and soda pop.
    -5 minutes with a shit-eatin' grin on my face after unloading the Drag Rod out on Old 66 just outside of Tulsa after putting in 28 hours of driving. (which was followed by 2+ hours of white knuckle, ear piercing, vibrating driving)
    -Showing up to the LaQuinta to shake Ryan's hand and meet up with fellow HAMB'ers.
    -Getting some good conversation in with Kevin Lee.
    - Hanging out with Nick and seeing his excitement after he made his first 11 second pass in his bitchen roadster!
    - Meeting HAMB'er sunbeam (Paul Mitchell) and having him come up to me and tell me he went to school with my dad who has been gone since 1995... and went to Kingman high school in Kingman, KS.
    - Running my first 9 second pass, ever.
    - Giving Kevin Lee a 140+mph ride in the Drag Rod out on the highway after the HAMB Drags
    -Meeting Beaner and getting to drink a yella' belly out of the YahooCup.

Best quotes of the weekend?

Kevin Lee's thoughts as he was strapping himself into the Drag Rod reiterated to me that same night:
    "I was thinking 'On one hand, I have this roll bar, on the other... I only have a lap belt' and 'On one hand, Sam's driving, on the other hand SAM'S DRIVING!!!'"

After hearing Nick Hoesing's wife say "I just love cross country trips in a roadster!" me saying:
    "Do you have a sister... that's single??"

In closing, my dad was born and raised in central Kansas, so we spent a lot of time in the summers out there. Going to the HAMB Drags is more than just going to a drag race with a bunch of traditional hot rods and drag cars... it's going back to a place where the people, the smells, the sights and experience are so fond to me.

Thanks for all who made it a memorable experience!

Sam

IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1398.JPG IMG_1396.JPG IMG_1391.JPG IMG_1405.JPG

gonmad, tb33anda3rd, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  14. All you ever got to do is make it half way, there is always room for one more in whatever we are driving. I'll find you a room and what's one more mouth. Hell I guess in a pinch I'd even come after you. ;)

Someone once said, "treat me well I'll treat you better . . ." You've always treated me well.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Last ones
    IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1703.JPG Back in California's Central Valley
    IMG_1714.PNG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    gonmad, tb33anda3rd, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Sam, thoroughly enjoyed our visit Saturday night. Great to finally meet you and congrats on the record run.
    Glad you made it home safely, hope to see ya next year.

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yep, It was great to meet you Sam, Looks like you had a hellava good time!
    Eric

18. Nice meeting you too Tom! It was a great weekend!

19. threewindow

threewindow

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

21. loudbang

loudbang

Sam in addition to good driving you take some good photos too. thanks for sharing.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That ain't no shit right there... Sam can drive his ass off.

SamIyam and loudbang like this.
  23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Beaner, good to see your doing good. I will be after the cup next year.
    Tony
    Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. I hope we can get a first hand account from Kevin in his 140+ mph blast out on the highway. It takes more balls to ride in a car like this than it takes to drive it.

Sancho likes this.
  25. BLAKE

BLAKE

I snapped a pic...
    [​IMG]

gonmad, FlyFisher and triman62 like this.
  26. Right back at you! I wish we had more time to talk!

27. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Ryan, You are having way to much fun with that drone thingy.
    Very artistic, and alluring, I will have to add the H.A.M.B. drags to my bucket list.
    The list is growing longer and my life is growing shorter!
    Thanks for the "flyover".
    KK