Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Finally a Hot Rod in the works.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by eddie1, Aug 24, 2016.

1. eddie1

eddie1

I've had a 58 Impala, 64 Galaxie, & 63 Chevy C-10 (about to be for sale) all modified, "hot rodded" if you will, but now I have the start of what will be my first real Hot Rod. Yes, I know to some a sedan is not a hot rod but consessions need to be made with a couple of 11 year old in tow. Plan is 292 Y-block with triple carbs, T-5 transmission, & nice interior. Other than changing the grille to a chrome one & re-doing the missing roof I'm going to leave the body alone. No chop & no repaint. The car is rust free & has a nice patina to the repaint that occurred at some point during its 88 year life. I warn you know, I will have lots of questions as I go. Model A.JPG Model A 2.JPG

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Looks like a great start and sounds like a good plan.

eddie1 likes this.
  3. sodas38

sodas38

Looks pretty sweet as is. Lower a bit and add V8 mill and your on your way. Nice sedan!

eddie1 likes this.
  4. Absolutely nothing wrong with a sedan,they make great hot rods. HRP

InstantT and eddie1 like this.

5. Well trips on a Y block is a good place to start and one must remember that the Orange Crate and the Li'l Coffin are both sedans.

eddie1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. DSC05132.JPG sedans are great fun

eddie1 likes this.
  7. Go for it and have fun!!! I'd like some pics of the roadster peeking in the corner of the first pic along some of the other cool stuff sittin around.

eddie1 likes this.
  8. Looks like a great car to start with, good luck on your build, always like the Y-Blocks, good choice!!

eddie1 likes this.
  9. Internet

Internet

i have a whole pile of y block 3x2 manifolds i gathered up doing my coupe, if you need one shoot me a pm. Im in Vic, heading over for the langley swap meet.

eddie1 likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - have fun

eddie1 likes this.
  11. I love the way it looks now. In my own mind the chrome grill might look alittle to flashy. It will be a cool car no matter what you do the color is kickass with the black fenders. I will be watching you make her yours. Good luck and get some pics up as soon as you get that y block 3 carb set up. Y blocks are neat.

12. flatout51

flatout51

I love sedans!! I traded my sedan body for a roadster... but kinda miss it. 1472064541745.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

eddie1 likes this.
  13. eddie1

eddie1

46international likes this.
  14. eddie1

eddie1

Thanks, I've got a couple including one I picked up at the Portland Swap meet a few years ago that's been blasted with rebuilt carbs, air cleaners & a progressive linkage.

15. My very first car was a 31 sedan like yours. Yep, wish I still had it!
    Good start. That car is a beauty. What kind of brakes you planning.
    Dropped axle from Nostalgia Sid's?
    Keep us posted.........

16. I wouldn't even change the grille shell

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

When done on the sedan, you can start work on the coupe I see lurking in the background :D

18. Eddie -- I like your plan, stainless grille shell and all. ;) Looks like you're on your way to having a fine Hot Rod.

19. eddie1

eddie1

That's belongs to who I bought the car from. He has huge supply of Model A bodies & parts including a titled 29 RPU that would have been my first choice if it weren't for laws (& mom's objection to) about children rolling around loose in pick up boxes. :)

20. eddie1

eddie1

All that good stuff in the background isn't mine. The pictures I used are the ones the seller had on his Craigslist ad. If it's Model A related he seems to have it!

21. Come on you guys, I thought you'd know he has a 28/9 and that their original shiny shells were nickel plate (even though the repro are chrome.);)

Great looking buy. If you think a sedan isn't hot rod worthy, check out Chismans' classic:
    [​IMG]

hechtspeed likes this.
  22. Sorry about that, I don't know a lot about Model A's. I'm a Model T guy, and of course the shiny stuff on those after brass went away was nickel plated brass, but I didn't know that carried over into Model A's. Thanks for the edumacation. ;)

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

THANK YOU for building a Hot Rod with OHV V-8 Power !!!!!

24. They were nickel over regular steel. The steel rusts and blisters underneath and the plate comes off like foil. Unless it's been in a super dry place all its life!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  25. Thanks, 30 body, 292 Y block Ford-o-matic trans banjo rear. Has paint on it now, maroon/brown