Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flatheads still rule...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea I doesn't look like an A box either....Bader just replied, looks like its an F1 box...you have real good clearance with it just curious. By the way, how can you get by with just an old flathead for power?

2. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I would like to post a running video of mine. All the activity with forest fires around here has the bandwidth eaten up. Is there a chance I could email it to one of you guys and you could post it? 3-5/16x4-1/8, 1007b cam by Pete1, orig. Slingshot, etc.
    Thanks

4. The motor in my '41 Pick up. Gets driven every day & has never left me stranded.
    FLATHEADS RULE 41PickUp15.JPG

5. This one's going in my '36.

IMG_4280.jpg

biggeorge, fnjunk, FlatJan and 6 others like this.
  6. a11drewp

a11drewp

image.jpeg My first flathead. Coolest thing ever!

7. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

The alternate engine for my Olds powered '40 Ford cpe. PB110046.JPG

biggeorge and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. What goes around comes around, I'm finally back to building and driving a flathead. I have learned so very much from the HAMB site, little digging and theres usually an answer along with a few opinions. Thanks to all of you out there in the greater electron village, sharing experience and a wealth of knowledge.
    Will take some shots of the latest creation: 8BA - Scat crank & rods, SS big valves, ported relieved, Maxi cam, 2 - 97's on an Offie manifold , Edlebrock heads with studs to make it tight, Reds headers, MSD ignition. Machining by Luke Balogh in North Vancouver who has forgotten more about building flatheads than I'll ever know. It drives a T5 with 8.8 rearend 2:73 for cruising. Runs down the road just fine and most people love the fact thats its a flatty. Especially the younger guys that build and drive their cars. 3 pedals no valve covers = happy happy

Jet96 likes this.
  9. Bader2

Bader2

Its got a pinch bolt on the arm,its definitely an f100,f1 have splines and a big nut holding it on.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I've always said there are 2 motors you can instantly tell what they are when heard. One is a flathead and the other is the old air cooled VW. I do love my flatheads. I have two torn down in the garage just waiting patiently inline to be put back into service. There is nothing else better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I find more and more cool stuff on this 285 incher I bought last year - like Edelbrock pistons. Wonder when they were made. DSCN1868.JPG

Gotgas, Jet96 and flatout51 like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Flatheads were part of the beginning of the hot rod scene. Here is a roadster at Lions Dragstrip in 1959 with what looks like a Roots supercharger with a couple of Strombergs on top. A lot of the hot rods back then just came off of the street to run at the drags. This one looks like it did or maybe not...
    Jnaki

Jet96, Jeff34, flatheadpete and 2 others like this.
  13. 2935ford

2935ford

They are the same numbers.....just the decimal point moved over to the right one position! :)

14. Looks like pretty early zoomies on that roadster......................

15. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Had the intake for 20+ years, long before the roadster. A friend had been hoarding the 97s. No question what was going in to replace the LB that came with it. '52 Merc, .030 over Isky Max-1 - mild but reliable. I have several other cars with the usual even the latest but this is the most fun!!!

IMG_6153.JPG

16. FlatJan

FlatJan

yip they rule.. Got 3 frenchies waiting for me..

17. That's Carillo's old car isn't it?

18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, that is the Carrillo Roadster. The restorer and current owner ( Frank Morawski )is the white haired guy with his back to the camera. The guy on the right is Jay Fitzhugh of the Rodder's journal. The fat guy on the left is one of the Mario brothers. I was working for the chassis shop when the restoration took place.........I got to help

19. Great thread......Any video of the blown Elco in the Deuce running? What a beautiful engine!

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. He's ditching the sbc and putting that nice flatty in her.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OUCH ! ! ! ! !

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AAUUGHHUH ! Jus' replying.

24. 97

what's a LB?

25. blackout78666

blackout78666

image.jpeg Here's my first. Little 60. Install magneto, clean up spark plug wires. Install new heads and water necks ... Sling dirt

26. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

My '52 mgtd with a 60hp, and a mustang t5 and 3.9 gears in the rear. A nice setup and runs quite well, just a bit hot at times. Marvin, ct

Attached Files:

biggeorge, Jeff34, 30tudor and 2 others like this.
  27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

28. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Early flathead. 21 stud. Water pumps in the heads. Block has LB cast into it. Picture stolen from google images.

[​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  29. Moatc

Moatc
    from Kc,Mo