Register now to get rid of these ads!

ED ROTH'S Truck FOUND

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Austinrod, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

The ’56 Ford is the first noteworthy custom truck ever done by the famous Rat Fink designer. In its heyday, it was used as advertising for Roth’s pin-striping business and featured a Packard V-8 engine, Roth’s signature red flame pinstripes, a mural on the tonneau cover and chrome-plated parts. Before the previous owner contacted Galpin, the truck had been stored in a barn in Oklahoma for more than 30 years.
    Vehicle Description

This ’56 Ford F100 was built by Ed Roth. This truck was built by Roth in the very beginning of his career. He flamed the truck, striped it, and air brushed the bed cover. He used this truck to show off his work and promote his business at shows. The truck was featured in Car Craft Magazine in November 1957. Revell also made a model of it.

I purchased the truck from an 80 year old man that told me the truck belonged to Ed Roth. He bought it in 1958 and drove it until 1963. He said he painted it green in ’62, but left the grill original and the tail light lenses. I am offering this truck on ebay one time, after that I will start the restoration if the truck does not sale.

It has a clear title. The only rust I see is a small amount on the passenger sdie roof (shown in pic) I do know it has an Iskyderian Cam and adj pushrods. The man told me and I found the lifter box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Southern California’s Galpin Motors announced that it has found the famed and long lost Ed “Big Daddy” Roth custom 1956 Ford F-100 Pickup.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Is it the whole truck, or just the grille? I don't see any old red flames under that paint.

3. Sorry not convinced.....I see red and white on Eds seats which I dont see on the green truck. Steering wheel is different....

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Still, a cool truck! :)

5. WHAT NO WHITE DASH ????????????

falcongeorge and F&J like this.
  6. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

7. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

8. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Paint job is under green paint

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

They want to "restore" it with new paint...

What'cha got in there, kid?

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

All it should get is a few coats of easy off...

What'cha got in there, kid?

Muttley likes this.
  12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm not convinced... Like to see a little more proof.

falcongeorge and prewarcars4me like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. Says painted in 62, but the service sticker on top of the green paint says August 61, so there is already one conflict. I have doubts from the pics, but stranger things have been proven. I'm just not seeing any red anywhere other than the grill, even where its down to rust.

15. Flyinhillbilly

Flyinhillbilly

Why would the rest of the paint look weathered and beaten but the grille looks nearly mint? Parked against a wall?

turboroadster likes this.
  16. verde742

verde742

shoor was a thorough green paint job !!!!

like to have more pictures, just cause I like 56 Ford pu.s

17. Larry T

Larry T

Where's the red paint on the bumper and frame horns?

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. TERPU

TERPU

Would be very cool to have this be the truck. As for the paint, you know not everybody put good paint over old shitty 60's faded paint. Maybe they stripped all the older cool Roth stuff off because they didn't like it at the time. Then applied the green. I love the Roth version but not everybody dug that stuff back then. The V.I.N. will be the true test. I know of a certain tub that was on the cover of a magazine that is know a fully restored stocker......

Just sayin'

all the best - Tim

19. Didn't anybody notice Roth's truck has a bigger rear window? Not the same truck....

Whoops, my mistake; didn't look at the right pic. Still doubt it's the same truck...

20. Roth's F-100 was a 56 small window.

Mick

21. I'm not buying it. Someone did a Total inside outside strip to a custom painted legendary truck. Then built a Custom smooth tailgate then did stock plain paint job. Who strips the floor pan when you can just cover it up? Then there's that Black and yellow license plate that isn't the same as the one with the Roth paint job. Seems to me plates used to follow over to the new owners 30 years ago. Oh but I'm going to keep the Grill (a bolt on part) as is.
    Ya, right!
    The Wizzard

22. Dave Shuten (Galpin Motorsports) is not just some guy off the street that claims to have Roth's truck. He has helped restore Roth's Tweety Pie, the Orbitron, Dan Wood's Ice Truck and made a clone of the Mysterion I am guessing if he says it's Roth's truck it probably is.

mr57, drdave, Austinrod and 2 others like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was hoping it was the black Model A. And I am in the "highly sceptical" club. It just isn't adding up. The grill is almost mint, and NOTHING else matches??? Uh huh...

24. KKrod

KKrod

The engine is correct. They must have done a very thorough strip job of the original paint.

25. Sorry non believers, but im with K13.
    If Dave Shuten says it is, thats good enough for me.

drdave likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And then immediately flipped it, at a very handsome profit, no doubt....;) Is it possible someone just paid well over the odds for a 56 f100 with some "patina'd " pinstriping on the tail lights and a fancy paint job on the grill?:eek:

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Popcorn, anyone:p:D

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I don't doubt it however without any providence it is just another F100

leadfootloon likes this.
  29. Model T1

Model T1

I believe the 80 year old man. Old men don't lie!

Thanks for the likes. As an old man I speak the truth.

Everytime I read about Ed Roth I remember his last trip to Daytona Turkey Run when I was lucky to meet him at a gas station maybe 50 miles west of Daytona. Even filling his modern truck with gas he took time to shake my hand and talk. At his booth he said hi again like I'd known him for years.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.