Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Front axle help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PoRodder, Aug 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

I've got a front tube axle that came with the T project. I haven't seen one with gussets on it like this one so I don't know who made it, and the most troubling thing is that it is not drilled for the kingpin keepers.
    The kingpin set that I bought for it fits nicely and they have the slots milled for the keepers. Do I need to have these drilled or is there some kingpin set with snap rings on the bottom to retain it?
    Can I drill them? I don't know. Just trying to use what I got. 20160822_193458.jpg

2. Most tube axles like that use a simple set screw. Just drill and tap where the slot sits.

3. Like this, but usually it sets up higher in the middle of the kingpin slot.

Attached Files:

4. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

Thank you. Maybe I need to look a little closer. there is something on the back side of the axle and I thought it was for a grease zerk.
    Any clue as to where the axle may have been made or sold?

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Interesting that it has a double bend at each end. Fabricated tube axles often only have a single bend at each end to keep possible non-planarity of the pipe bends to a minimum, and oblique junctions to the kingpin bosses. Are there any signs of the outer bends being welded on?

6. Here is how I modified the axle on my Mysterion clone. Got rid of the ugly Ford lock pin and hole like Ed did on the original. jaj 9-12.JPG

7. Looking at the picture the gusset weld looks different than the kingpin boss weld. I would bet it was added at a later time, probably over a concern running a tube axle with hairpins like a lot of guys voice.

The only zerks on spindles are the two for the bushings on each spindle. If there is a hole on the kingpin boss, make sure it is at the height of that kingpin slot, and just add a set screw. Make damn sure you add locktite because they can and do often come loose if you don't.

8. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

Them's some big words in that post Ned. You sound like an engineer and I had to think hard. :) No, it appears to be 1 tube with no welded ends. But the king pin bosses are welded on, of course. Maybe MAS roadster comes to mind, but I am not sure. It is used and has been on the road under a Ford 460 and this frame.

9. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

Willys36, so your set screw is hidden on the end of the axle. Very nice. I like that detail. What size set screw can you recommend?

Prewar, the axle did indeed have hairpins on it, and i plan to run the same, I think. I thought I would make my own so I bought the seamless tube. Buy the time I bought it I had enough in the materials to just buy a set. Oh well.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  10. I think I used 5/16". Lots of LokTite!! This is of course for a parking lot cruiser/ trailer queen but I personally would have no problem running it on a rod. To each his own!

11. I wasn't knocking them, and have built and driven many that way, but some guys , well, I don't want to get that debate going. The only issue with putting the set screw on the very end (but that's where I put them) is that sometimes brakes and steering needs to come off to be able to tighten the screw because the spindle has to move so far to give you room.

12. The set screw will only work if the bearing is under the axle,, I don't see a bearing in the OP's post.
    Or am I not seeing correctly ??

13. I hadn't noticed the spindle. Set screws still work, BUT it looks like in the picture that the kingpin isn't the correct one for that spindle regardless.

You need the kingpin kit to be correct for your spindle year. It looks like you have a pre 37 type spindle, but a 37 to 41 or 42 to 48 kingpin kit.