Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Last Garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 22, 2016.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Last Garage

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And the mossy colored car was a.......

Hnstray likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

No pic it didn't happen..:D

chiro likes this.
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Bugatti Atlantic (Atlantique) ? Talbot Lago 150?

Ray

6. belair

belair

I'll take what's behind door #18, Monte.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Mossy color, no pic, maybe it was one of those Chia pets in the shape of a car.

8. catdad49

catdad49

Yeah, what was it? Many yrs. ago the wife and we're riding around (think spring after a long N.Y. winter) and I made a comment about all the old garages that never seemed to be open. "I think it would be a great idea to have a required open garage day!" She couldn't understand what that would accomplish, but it sure would be neat if it would ever happen! I know that I've discovered a few cars by happening by at the right times, how about you guys?

9. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

There are a lot of old garages with the doors shut tight I've noticed...I've driven by them and never, ever, see them open. There is one elderly lady who lives nearby, who has an old '38 Ford pickup sitting behind her house, literally going to ruin for years. Her husband was a car fellow from long ago, and she's got a reputation for screaming at people to 'not ask' about ''those cars", although you can only see the old truck.....then slams the door (no posted signs anywhere!). Behind her house, within visible sight, is a 3 stall garage from the 1930's, with glass panes broken out on the upper tiers in the 3 doors....I just know there is some old cars residing behind those doors, because of the one old truck rusting away outside unprotected, ...but......some people really enjoy ''their memories'' I think, and don't want to let anyone see into their own personal past. I see these old garages around, all locked up, and NEVER open...and think, ''there is something there''...but, unless an estate sale, or moving sale...they never seem to come open. Stuff dreams are made of, to be sure! ...only way I can justify the reasoning.

10. SR100

SR100

I'm with Bruce, Tatra or something even more obscure, like an Adler.

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Standing By........

12. 2935ford

2935ford

waiting.........

13. When I was 14, I was invited to ride with my buddy, Ken's parents [in their 59 chevy] to drive to the big city, Portland, Oregon to visit their relatives. Ken and I took off walking the neighborhood to find hotrods/customs and we walked passed a driveway where an old gentleman was washing his old sedan. He said it was a Rolls Royce and it was a late 20s-early 30s vintage. He invited us to go for a cruise around the block and we accepted...what a cool memory!

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Bruce Lancaster hit the nail on the head on this one. It was a Tatra that originated in Czechoslovakia. A really pretty, unique automobile.

catdad49 likes this.
  15. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  16. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Is that Clayton Street between Corbett and 17th? Your pic looks very familiar

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

Maybe the old gal needs her lawn mowed for free.

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Cool Picture...Thanks..

19. unkamort

unkamort

Nailed it!

20. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Man, don't ya know it! I'd also trim her overgrown lilac bushes and clean her gutters just to get a peek inside those old garage doors....she's tough, and many before me have have tried to get into her good graces. Those are her late husbands ''things'', and she won't discuss it. Bummer to have to drive by everyday, and I'll have to be content to shake my head and take a deep sigh.:(

stealthcruiser likes this.
  21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Drive by in your hot rod on a nice day, see if she want's to go for an ice cream.

22. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Volkswagen spilt window beetle?

Show us the pics!

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What was hiding behind the other doors may not be of interest to him but may be to others or he just didnt want to share the info of what was in there.

24. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

25. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

I'm betting the garage is empty now.

26. in the town i grew up in there was an old stone building, down a side street, off a major road. the building was a two story apartment building that was built in the 20's. i was told the old guy who's family built the building was planning on selling it and he needed to clean out his fathers old machine shop in the basement. i found out that there was a hidden set of garage doors on the side of the building. the "driveway" dropped below street level but had over grown so it wasn't visible. the basement was last used as a machine shop after the W.W.II push to build arms for the war effort his father got sick and died and the place was locked up. inside the garage was a 36 chevy 4dr, [rust free] on jack stands with the knee action front end all apart to be rebuilt. lot's of lathes, tools etc..... frozen in time......and "nobody" would have guessed it would have been there in the middle of town.

Raiman1959, kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  27. longhorizon

longhorizon

Out of sheer curiosity, I did ask him what was behind the other 17 doors. “Nothing cool,” he said apologetically. “Probably just a lot of spiders.”

Maybe he meant Spyders?

28. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Years ago,my Wife and I were coming home from a antique show in Kutztown Pa. We got lost and ended driving through Mt Carmel Pa.I spied a closed down gas station with two old pumps outside along the main drag.We stopped and looked in the front window.Loads of old station stuff and just piles of junk. Make a long story short,found family that owned it and struck a deal to buy out any good gas station related goodies. The owner was Joe Howard.He was 80 something at the time. I still have his neon sign that reads Joe Howard Repair Show hanging in my garage.I owe this guy alot because it sparked my interest in collecting that kind of stuff. That was about 25 years ago
    When you find a place like a closed up garage or shop,look into it.At least try. This was a once in a life time find and you never know whats behind the doors or walls.

czuch likes this.
  29. Paintrag

Paintrag

Mr. Ukrop,
    Nice article on an interesting topic. Of course- who doesn't wonder about the contents of an old garage...
    In your article, you showed professionalism and restraint by not naming the vehicle or location. However the net result via the comments essentially posted the identity and location of a specific vehicle- which belongs to someone else- not you.
    Of course I celebrate your enthusiasm but I'll bet the owner isn't happy that everyone on the H.A.M.B. now knows where his Tatra is kept...
    I live in SF, I know where that photo was taken and I have some cars. Like a lot of places, there are some bad guys here and garages do get broken into and fine cars have been stolen or vandalized. Ask me about a friends recent nightmare-ish experience- and he kept a very low profile.
    Please, in the future show restraint and respect for other people's privacy. Nobody want to lose their car and many value their anonymity.
    Happy Motoring.