Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2016 Banger Meet - lots to get ready for ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. brjnelson

brjnelson

That would be Crafty B He has a website and mostly makes gas caps, a Google search should find him.

2. 97

Dannerr and waxhead like this.
  3. Chris Elmer was making shocks as well.

4. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An exciting day for my banger world. Got the body on the chassis today. I am going to make the Hill Climb in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96, winduptoy, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  5. Lucky you! are you gonna drive her there being you're only 6 hours away?
    I was just wondering, so I checked my hours and it's 18.5 hours! (OUCH:eek:)
    Maybe next year for me? I have to keep my engine together for T.R.O.G.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Joe

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  6. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Love the colour combination. Be sure to post some pics of the Colorado Hill Climb when you go. Thanks

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am only 3 hours away. However I don't think I will trust the car to drive it there. If I was able to log a few hundred miles by now I would. But I am another week or so from being able to start it and don't think there is enough time to work out all the bugs. If nothing strange pops up, I may drive it with the wife following along. Looking at the map I can drive all the way up there without having to get on the interstate.

8. 3 hours off the interstate is even better! I google mapped Wyoming to Colorado and it said 6 hours 14 minutes. Then I googled Red Bluff to Colorado and it said 18.5 hours! Maybe it's really only 9.25 hours? :rolleyes: (I don't think so for me!) It took me 9 hours to get to the Utah, Bonneville. Just a mile or two from Nevada! I was trying to make good time by keeping a fast speed in the rental car. :cool: (That salt was stuck to everything like white mud!)
    You are right, it would be better to trailer her the first time, so you can do the hill climb for sure!
    Have fun,
    Joe

Binger likes this.
  9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I live only 7 miles from the border in cheyenne. Only 100 miles to Denver and another 50 up the mountain to central city. A few more miles and time if I decide to go up through Boulder along the foothills before I climb up into the mountains.

10. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You can make fabric disc style joints of multi-ply conveyor belt material. Reinforced with steel.

colinsmithson likes this.
  12. Working on the Banger RPU! I made a reversed eye and low front spring, 32 axle with perches, mechanical brakes!! Found a pair of early Firestone tires 15 x 6.50! Plan to used with 15 rims and Ford Deluxe hubcaps and 7.50 x 16 at rear!!

Pictures 16 F100 rim with 40 deluxe hubcap!
    Rear Pirelli style tire!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  13. FB_IMG_1470851930573.jpg IMG_20160811_105946769.jpg

Front end and Firestone's

Enviado desde mi XT1068 mediante Tapatalk

winduptoy and colinsmithson like this.
  14. Jeff34

Jeff34

I'd be interested to know how the truck sits after you've got the spring installed. I did the same on my pickup. Left 9 leaves in the front pack and I'm bottoming out on the center bolt.

15. Link to the Pirelli style tires please???

16. Hi Jeff! For reference I leave you a picture with the height of the master spring!!!
    I'm working on the chasis right now!!! Soon I get mock-up pictures!!

IMG_20160823_084958711.jpg

ratamahata

17. Hi Cactus! Been in Argentina is almost impossible to find new classic style tires, so the light trucks were the option in those lands! Tires like Firestone, Pirelli and Fate!!
    Found a link on Pirelli.mx but isn't listed on Pirelli USA! Certainly this tires have the old look! Maybe because there are plenty old Ford pickups and light trucks over my country!

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/mx/es/truck_bus/sheet/ct52.html

ratamahata

18. They do have a nice look to them! Thanks for the link anyway!

19. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

who's the best to deal with for billet main caps and arp bolts and modern rear and front seals for the bottom end of my B ?

20. Scott F.

Scott F.

Hi guys, I posted the question below in the traditional hot rod forum and someone recommended asking the question in the banger meet thread, so here I am. :
    Thinking about trying to build an early hot rod and I am zeroing in on my vision. So, early style with model A chassis. Stretch dropped a axle with 33-34 spindles and perch pins keeping mechanical brakes. Stock A rearend. Model B engine with V8 carb and high compression head and header. I am thinking about 700-16 or 750-16 tires in back, '35 wires all around. I have a B trans with 39 top and zephyr gears. Is a B motor that isnt souped to the max gonna have enough poop to make the higher zephyr gears (1st and 2nd) work in this set up or is it gonna feel like I am taking off hitched to a loaded gravel train?
    Thanks, Scott

21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Has anyone here installed a Serr Miller OHV conversion in a 30/31 Model A?? Does it clear the firewall OK, or is a little bit of panel beating required?? Thanks

22. 97

reasonable hop up should nett 80 hp or a bit more, but more importantly Bangers have heaps of torque.....so it really
    depends on whether you are going to use a Sherman tank body or a fenderless RPU with no bed ...
    Plenty of roadsters with that recipe run fine .
    it depends entirely on your expectations .... if you want a proper traditional Banger powered 30s style hot rod don't expect it to run down the strip like a 60s muscle car.... it is what it is , build it and enjoy ... No matter what low gear ratios you have top gear is still 1:1 so acceleration , will be determined by diff ratio . .......and the weight it has to pull......trade off is top speed.

rtsidejohnny likes this.
  23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's a B in a '29 CCPU with an original CRAGAR head. plenty of room. DSC00021.JPG

To Scott F....my '31 powered Zipper roadster pulled 60HP at the rear wheels. Engine has a single 97, Crower cam, inserts, FS ignition, Brumfield head, headers and counterweighted crank.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Pebble Beach got checked off my Bucket List this year, got to see some great cars. Sure was a surprise to see this one! DSCF4429.JPG Bob

25. noboD

noboD

Picture of you in a sports jacket or it NEVER happened!

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Denis, thanks for the response and picture, nice Banger by the way. I believe the problem may (or may not) be with the 30/31 firewall and wanted to confirm.

Does any one have a Serr Miller OHV Banger in their 30/31 Model A Ford?? Thanks

27. YUP!
    But I made a "typo"..It's for a "B", not a "T"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  28. There might be some "Good Looking" friction shocks out there. But "Function"? I doubt it. The basic function of shock absorbers is to bring your suspension back to equal. Friction devices merely resist action. They do not bring the action back to equilibrium. If it's a better (and safer) ride that you are seeking, you will be far better off getting hold of some serviceable Houdallie hydraulic shocks and having an outfit called Apple Hydraulics overhaul and modify them for you. And they will be "Period Correct". Good luck.

29. Yeah! I saw them loading it over a Laguna Seca. As I remember: the registration was MCS 328H.

30. Speaking of Laguna Seca. My "B" engine in my car was running better than it ever has been. I should have had a clue when I turned in a lap time TEN seconds faster then my previous best, while at Buttonwillow in April. At the start of our qualifying race last Saturday morning at Laguna Seca I out accelerated my friend Peter Giddings in his 8C Alfa Romeo "Monza". Heading into Turn 2 (the Andretti Turn) I tucked in behind the four leading ERA Gran Prix cars (the lead driven by Derek Hill, Phil's son). To my surprise, I was able to stay with those four rockets for the better part of two laps. However, as my brakes faded (I'm thinking I also began to fade) and my tire treatment gave way I dropped back and finished in fifth place. That afternoon, in our main event, on the pace lap I thought that the engine was beginning to foul a plug. When the green flag dropped everybody, including Giddings' Alfa ran away from me. I didn't make it up to the "Corkscrew (Turn 9A) before a cylinder dropped out. I pulled into the paddock area and quit. When I got into the engine back at the shop, I found that and intake rocker arm had come loose. It's and easy fix, so we'll be off to Coronado races in a few weeks.

32-Miller-Scofield-Ford-DV-13-MH_01.jpg