Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Yea sucks we couldn't meet up was looking forward to meeting you. Thanks the back up girl was our good friends little sister. She had been saying she wanted to try doing it she comes to the meltdown every year and now she finally got to do it. She will probably do it more when we get more of our cars together she had a blast

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 1468803871098.jpg 1468803878765.jpg 1468803902401.jpg 1468803910547.jpg 1468803918580.jpg 1468803936162.jpg 1468803953045.jpg 1468803962264.jpg

Here's some more pics of the lettering and from the meltdown

Pufff, OahuEli, Ken Carvalho and 4 others like this.
  3. 1468804870097.jpg 1468804881482.jpg 1468804888325.jpg

My wife in the red and her best friend posing in front of the coupe at the meltdown and a few other pics of the Skairlane on the track

Pufff, OahuEli, Ken Carvalho and 5 others like this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Do tell more about the vette or post a link where I can find it

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Jeff I have to remember the Fear starts with FE when I get the 428 and the Borg Warner finished and in the Merc! lol And so what if your car is not running right, as long as you have pretty girls telling you where to go and what to do, life is good! At least that is what my wife tells me! :rolleyes: Larry

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Enloe I didn't have time to do a build thread on it and it really needed to have one. I made a few pics so I might do a short thread when I get slowed down. I used to build a car every 3 to 4 months, but since the Southeast Gassers had started growing out of control it now takes me almost a year so not much time to do the build threads like I used to do. It will be at our Darlington race August 6th but not painted.

7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You or any of the guys let me know if you need anything.

8. 1469309931738.jpg 1469309940219.jpg

Well we found the source for the water in the oil. Apparently you are supposed to pressure check a BRAND NEW $8000 set of heads when they come straight from a supposedly repritable company that CNC ported them did the valve job and completely assembled them. But I guess I'm told some stuff slips through the cracks. So Robert Pond now wants me to tear the motor apart again and he will pay to ship them back and have them fixed. But I gotta cover tearing it down and gaskets and all the other BS that goes along with this shit box engine. I decided not to tear it down but to try putting a band aid on it for the rest of the year because my past dealings with pond went so swell I'm sure i might see my shit back sometime next year. So far the moroso ceramic seal is working I also took the seal off the radiator cap so it couldn't build pressure. We will see soon. I attached a couple more pics from the meltdown and my wife showing off her name on the door.

9. http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/
    Have you contacted Jay Brown? He runs the above forum and has done more with SOHC FEs lately than anyone. He is a great guy and may be able to help steer you in the right direction with some things. Just a thought....

10. I am definitely going to get ahold of Jay and talk to him about a few issues I still have.

Nitrofreak, II FUNNY and 91whitestang like this.
  11. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

There are quite a few of us Northern boys building cars at the moment. I am only about 2 and a half hours from you. I am up in Grand Rapids MI. I had hoped to have my car out for at least the season finally this year, but now its looking like spring of next year. Rusty Samsel who has been racing with them already is in the Detroit area of Michigan Most of the Border Bandits are over North of Chicago i think. So yeah we are around. Hopefully we will have a Northern chapter of the Southeast Gassers by next season. Hope that helps.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  12. It is in 1 video but not a good one. It's been nothing but trouble so far and isn't looking any better. I took it to the track this week and made 1 pass and still getting water in the oil. So now I'm tearing it back apart. I took the rockers off and did a cylinder leak down on it and number 2 leaks 75% past the exhaust valve and number 3 leaks 25% past the exhaust valve all others are 5-8% leak past the rings. So I guess the 10.51@137mph it did wasn't to bad after all on 7 cylinders. So I'm pulling the heads off for sure. I also have been looking for magnesium 15x4s for a decent price for like a year and finally scored a pair for a good price. Then a week later scored another pair for a deal. 1471810850160.jpg 1471810854829.jpg 1471810859301.jpg 1471810862781.jpg

13. Saxxon

Saxxon

Sucks when you run into bad work and it costs you a boatload of time and money to get it to where it should have been in the first place. I had similar problem with the Scout and horrendous paint work. The guy kept saying to bring it back and he'd fix the runs, the thin spots, the spots of orange that should have been red, the over-spray, the peeling and bubbling. I finally just gave up on that shop, it was just too much trouble to load and unload and take the time off work to accommodate his work hours.

I can only hope my paint clown and your engine clown realizes they missed an opportunity to be part of something that will be magazines for years to come.

Hang in the bud... I hope you get this resolved soon

14. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Jeff, It really sucks that your having this much trouble with those heads! If you have not gotten in contact with Jay on the FE web site I would highly recommend it I have visited it numerous times and Jay and a number of the other guys their seem to really know their stuff. He may know of someone here in the area that you could work with and get things in order, That car is just to cool to sit on the sidelines looking pretty like the Chevy guys do !:rolleyes: Good luck and will see and meet ya next year!! Larry

16. Larry I had a 45min conversation with Jay on Friday he is very interested in helping me with anything I need. He wanted me to tear it down and see where we have issues and go from there. I plan to call him tomorrow and speak with him again to get his recommendation on what to do next. He is very knowledgeable and the 45 min conversation I had he gave me lots of helpful info.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's a real piss fucker
    Do you know where the water is coming from?

loudbang likes this.
  18. Yea the water is comming from pinholes in the castings around 1 head bolt on each head. Moroso ceramic seal sealed one side but not the other. So while the heads are off getting the valves fixed I'll be having them welded and remachined.

loudbang likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I know the class act that you guys are you will get a handle on it.
    Such a shame the work into a bad casting.
    Sounds like the guy in the other lane better bring there A game.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Damn.... I was really looking forward to seeing it in person. Maybe you'll make Greer at the end of the year.

sonic03bluegt and Dog_Patch like this.
  21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Jeff, Glad you had good luck talking with Jay. All I can say is the guys that built those heads for you are lucky they are not dealing with me because I think those heads would be on the fast lane to somebodys backside!!! No matter what I still rooting for the Fastest On Race Day!!!:):):) Larry

loudbang and strokedstang331 like this.
  22. jt306

jt306

Was one of the set of mag I was telling you about see at the meltdowns? I wish I would've have bought them now. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

23. Justin I did get the first set from the guy u were telling me about. But they were not the ones he had at the meltdown for sale them were 15X6's. When I got ahold of him and told him I wanted 4's he said he had 2 pair of 4's and blew the motor up in the Death Trap 55 at the meltdown he said he could use the extra cash so he would sell one pair. Didn't get them as cheep as the 15X6's but he gave me a fair deal on them. I couldn't believe they still had the original stickers on them never seen wheels with the stickers still on them before. His buddy bought them brand new in 67 and put them on his chevelle and they were on the same car until 4 years ago when he bought them from him.

24. Zach I'm still going to try making it to the Kentucky race. The plan for now is just fix the heads and put it back together. I changed my mind on tearing it all the way down I have all winter to find more HP.

25. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Ok cool. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  26. jt306

jt306

If you want to sell the 6" just let me know. I'm gonna to put another car together to run with the group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

27. You're a wild man o_O you going to run C/G and hot foot back to the start to run the A/G car? That's bad ass.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Any chance to see the Sour Grape or any of you fellas at the Chattanooga race this weekend?