Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 style gas tank

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AModelRobinson, Aug 21, 2016.

1. AModelRobinson

AModelRobinson

What is the preference of 11 gallon or 14.5 gallon on 30 coupe? Is there a noticeable difference on a hi boy?. Thanks!

2. A few more miles down the road.

lothiandon1940 and Mr48chev like this.
  3. The larger tanks generally hang down too far on the bottom, giving it the full diaper look.

Mick

4. AModelRobinson

AModelRobinson

Lurker mick, that's what I was worried about. Thanks for the info.

5. There is a big difference.HRP

This is a 11 gallon tank.

[​IMG]

Can't find a photo right now but the larger tank looks like a extra large soggy baby dipper hanging down.

Another words they look like $h!t. HRP

da34guy, hotrodA and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This is a big tank but I have fenders. IMG_0752_2.JPG

racemad55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I have large tanks but mine are full fendered also. If you drive a lot as in long trips I would use a large tank. Much better range.

30tudor likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking seriously about going that way on my 31 Vic and as very long road trips are in the plan the extra 3 gallons would make quite a difference and the wife says it will be full fender.

Outside of looks I'd say that your plans for driving the car have a lot of influence in the decision. If a long trip for you is 150 to 200 miles the 11 is great. If you live in the west where sometimes it's over 100 miles between any semblance of a gas station on some roads including freeways in some areas that extra capacity means a lot.

9. swifty

swifty

If it's going in the car in your avatar then you'll need a couple of frame rails to hang it on. Adding a 32 tank to a Model A then it has to look right and the big tanks definitely don't on a highboy. rusty rocket has a different situation as he has fenders and a rear bumper which may partly hide it. On my fully fendered 32-5 window I was willing to accept the reduced driving range for the "correct" looks.

10. AModelRobinson

AModelRobinson

Thanks guy's for the information. I think I'll go with the smaller tank for the better look. As you can see in my profile picture its a high boy with 32 rails pinched for model a. And yes we do take long trips. Just got back on a short one 368 miles from home & back to Mo-kan Drags in 34 coupe.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I think you would be better off with the small one as far as looks go. Here in western South Dakota I can think of 3 well traveled roads where theres anywhere between 70 to 100 miles between gas stops. So if you get on the plus side of 10 miles a gallon you could go anywhere around here. My sedan has the big tank and gets 25+ miles a gallon so we have no problem. My main thing is after 100 miles or so I want to get out and move around.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've sold both sizes from Tanks. Their 14 gallon tank hangs down about an inch over the stock size. The droop is more pronounced with the 16 gallon tank from Vintique.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. ratrod0

ratrod0

The big tank looks like a saggy diaper. And my thoughts on the smaller one is,if you set in a A model for a hole tank of gas station you need to stop and walk around abit

da34guy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. You got that right! HRP

15. I am running the small tank on my 3 window and have to gas about every 200 miles. By then I am ready to take a little break and piss anyway.

DeLuxe 32 and Dirty Dug like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My butt and bladder won't make it a whole tank of gas be it 11 or 14 gallons. It's just that on some of the routes I plan to go on it can be a long stretch between gas stations of any kind. I'll probably go with what looks best and be done with though.

17. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

This is what mine looks like
    Back.jpg

18. bct

bct

Anyone got pics of the stock 32 tank on an A roadster? 28 29?

19. I have the 14 Gal. tank and couldn't notice any difference from the 11 Gal. one. HemiDeuce 005.jpg

Attached Files:

bct and 30tudor like this.
  20. swifty

swifty

"The big tank looks like a saggy diaper"
    You got that right!! I was trying to be polite.

21. Mr. Breeze

Mr. Breeze

Here's my 10 gal. mocked-up.

IMG_20160729_144152571.jpg

22. Looks good..

bct and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. I think the bigger tank will be great on long trips..

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'32 bodies had the rear sheetmetal stop about 4" above the bottom edge of the cowl, door and quarter,
    that was for tank clearance,
    the A's rear panel is even with the bottom of the doors and quarters...
    to install the '32 tank the A sheetmetal has to be [sectioned] for that clearance...
    not just up but the A sedan body gets longer as it curls up the rear panel... the A sedan's tee strips between the quarters and rear panel get closer together the lower they get...
    takes some careful syferin'...
    the '32 frame has a kick over the rearend, the A does not...
    this helps keep the tank up into the '32 body area... the A frame is flat , adding '32 rear frame horns to the stock A frame will have the '32 horns set too low compared to the car's profile...
    the frame would need to be kicked to let the horns look right...
    this involves sectioning the rear A sedan's sheetmetal as mentioned...
    I scribed all this on my buddy's A sedan with soapstone...
    buddy went out and bought '32 rails... but still needs to section the A body...
    coupes get shorter as the lower panel is sectioned...
    I did this 25 years ago, I removed the A's rear subfloor crossrail and the reveal along the bottom of the lower panel... no pix... today I would section the lower panel / sub- crossrail...
    note the above pix are of '32 body / tanks... check out some As with '32 tanks...
    hope it helps... rock on robi !

bct likes this.
  25. bct

bct

Yes I'm going to have to cut my panel below deck lid at least 1.5 inches. I have to pie cut the cowl to drop the body flat and then judge from there. Any pics of 28 29 roadsters with stock 32 frame and tank? Thanks everyone

26. bct

bct

Here is a pic of what I'm up to

20170705_220550.jpg

Bugguts likes this.
  27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

that is just what I had, the '32 frame starts its kick up before needed under the A ...
    making the gap under the body...
    I would relocate the subfloor that runs over the initial kick...
    this will need more rear panel sectioning, but will keep the front of the car normal...
    if you mess with the cowl that will drop the hood line and grill shell a bit lower...
    chopped radiators can be $ ...
    if you need to mess with the rear body anyway I would let the body sit flat and just section the rear and modify the subfloor..
    leave the cowl to B pillar alone...
    also '28-'29 coupes and roadsters had 2 different panels below the decklid.. memory says one is about 2" shallower than the other ... hope it helps...

28. Personally I thought the way Henry did it with the horns and the tank both tilting downward looked a little funny. I built this A many years ago with the intent being to have both the rear horns and tank DSCN2025.JPG my sedan with fenders 3.jpg being as level as possible. Worked great.

A photo with the body removed on a repop A frame and a picture of the car I took on the salt 10 years ago.

29. bct

bct

The body needs mods front and back no matter how you look at it. Just hoping to see how others have addressed the rear panel as far as gaps and tank clearence