Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What would cause stalling after LONG idle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Aug 21, 2016.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

SBC, quadrajet, electric pulse type pump mounted in engine bay.

1) Got stuck in stop and go traffic(mostly stop) for about 40 mins.
    Idled fine the whole time. Didn't overheat although towards the end it got up to about 225-230ish.

2) AS SOON AS traffic broke and we were able to get moving AND AS SOON AS I GOT ON THE GAS it stalled out. Was able to coast and put it in neutral and restart with no problems, but as soon as i put it in gear and tried to give it gas----stalled again. This went on for about 4-5 times ----(i don't remember exactly as it was very hectic cos the bridge didn't have any shoulders and my main concern was all the pissed off folks that were going to be staring and possibly cussing at me if i were to break down----traffic was already backed up at least one mile due to the toll and it was very hot yesterday....)

After the 5th or so restart it cleared up and stayed running. By this time we were able to move at about 23mph, then gradually 40 and on to normal highway speeds no problem. Engine temp also dropped to about 195-200ish.

a) So i think each time i restarted it i did also press down on the pedal (this might indicate flooding?)

About 2 miles later, stopped to get gas. Afterwards, started up no problems and the car otherwise performed great the rest of the day.

What might cause stalling when accelerating after a very long idle?

2. Two words: VAPOR LOCK

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i suspect that too, but wouldn't vapor lock take a few mins to subside? i was able to get it running after about 20-30 secs.

4. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

research EGR valve function if you have one it is more then likely causing the issue.

5. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

It's funny you mention that because i recently sealed my egr port off.................

6. Ideally, an electric fuel pump should be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible and not in the engine compartment. Fuel lines should be routed away from heat sources as much as possible, and this is more critical for the fuel lines on the intake (vacuum) side of the fuel pump as far as vapor locking is concerned.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  7. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Today's fuel, vapor lock. Try adding 3-5 gallons of AV-gas (101LL) to your tank when you top it off. That cured my problem. Vapor lock is worse on quadrajets because of the tiny fuel bowl. But your mileage will suffer with a different carburetor.

8. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

It's fuel percolation or vapor lock. Go get some DEI fuel line wrap and wrap all the line you can from the carb back. It helps. About a 20 degree drop in fuel temp.

Also ethanol boils off faster, so get no ethanol hi test fuel if you can, you can't imagine the difference the two things together will make!