Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radiator for '54 Ford 302/AOD swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Marco Gomez, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Marco Gomez

Marco Gomez

Hi,
    I have a '54 Ford that has a 302/AOD swap already started. It does not have a radiator so I'd like to know if an aftermarket champion radiator (part#: CC5456) would be a good fit for the 302. It's made for the '54 Ford but I'm not sure I need to go with some thing different and what would fit in the space as well. I will be running a Vintage Air system in it as well I the near future and so I'm not sure that would be an issue as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.
    Marco...

2. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

If it was cooling your stock Y block, cooling a 302 with air shouldn't be a problem at all, but I would have the radiator shop give it a cleaning while you have it out, I'm running the stock 1951 Ford radiator in my 51 Victoria with a built 302 and A/C with no problems at all.

3. Marco Gomez

Marco Gomez

Thanks so much... The deal was I didn't have the radiator to begin with... I just bought it and he started the swap but didn't have the radiator... He sold the Y-Block with the radiator.

4. Lot of radiators out there,I am a fan of the original style copper/brass radiators,that being said I used a Walker radiator made specifically for a 1954 Ford and I have a 302 in my wagon.

I also have air and use a steel bladed fan for cooling,never ever runs hot. HRP

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

5. Marco Gomez

Marco Gomez

T
    Thanks... I like the look of the old style but really can't spend the money for the ones I've seen... And in my dad's experience his og 54 ford pick up that has a 302 he always had problems with the copper one busting the seams. He finally switched it to an aluminum one. Now I did find this aluminum one that has the look of the original but is aluminum. Not very expensive but I honestly don't know anything about them... Here's the link: http://www.autocityclassic.com/1954...956-ford/mercury-aluminum-radiator-sl1306013/
    And here's the link for the other one as well:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cooling-Systems/166/CC5456/10002/-1
    Thanks for the input!!

6. That original '54 Ford radiator may have had a few problems but it's 60 years old,aluminum radiators will never last that long and try to find a shop in Podunk Alabama to repair it if you have a problem out on the road.

As for Auto City Classics,I've never bought a radiator but I did buy a gas tank for my wagon,they seem to be good people. HRP

7. Marco Gomez

Marco Gomez

Yeah I would've tried it out on mine but when I bought the car it didn't have it in there... And I feel you on the finding a repair shop thing... I live in a little town in Texas called Big Lake... Middle of nowhere really lol. Just a small oilfield town... I may order an extra and keep it in the trunk "in case" hahaha!

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

We have had a lot of guys in our 1952-59 Ford Group http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/1952-59-ford-social-group.282/ use a 1967 Mustang radiator http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-ROWS-1967-1970-FORD-MUSTANG-20-CORE-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-/221972178033?fits=Year:1967|Model:Mustang&hash=item33ae92a471:g:aBAAAOSwezVWwd~j&vxp=mtr Note that this has the transmission cooler bungs measure your radiator frame you may have to elongate a few mounting holes most guys say it's pretty much a bolt in and I think it will satisfy your budget.

Marco Gomez likes this.
  9. Marco Gomez

Marco Gomez

Thanks... I bought a radiator from auto city classic that is suppose to be made for this car and tried to fit it in yesterday and look like I'll need to move it forward a bit cause it's so close to the motor that a fan won't fit and will be a pain to get to the belts... I'll be messing with it in the next few days and see how it works out. Thanks so much!

10. rickl

rickl

I have an Auto City Classics aluminum radiator in my 302/AOD 46 K1. It is for a 66 Mustang. Make sure the water pump and the lower radiator inlet are on the same side.

I've only had it for two years so no comment on how long it will last. No problem cooling the 302.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Probably too late to help you now but you might read this post,scroll down to post # 5 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/sbf-short-water-pump-pulleys.303600/ The 1952-56 Ford six cylinder cars had the radiator mounted more forward than the V8 cars did due to the length of the straight six.