Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New Member ~ Old Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kummok, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Kummok

Kummok

I think I've just found my happy place! I can see a lot of poking around here on 33°F windy days, drooling and dreaming. I have my own membership "token", a hot rod built back in the 30s by my now deceased father...
    32 Buick running gear
    Buick Straight 8 engine
    Packard 2bbl carbs (4)
    28 Essex frame
    Stutz front knee shocks
    Body built by Dad in high school (Oakland, CA Frick HS) shop back in 30s
    This is most recent photo taken mid 90s
    [​IMG]
    Back in the day...same hot rod, different engine, Ford Flathead V8
    [​IMG]

2. Welcome to the HAMB,and great you are bringing back your dads old hot rod,speedster.show us some more pictures.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Nice rod. Have you driven it lately? Where are you from?

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - yep, need more current pics and details on your plans for it

jetman and volvobrynk like this.

5. Great #12 post!! Yep, tell us where your at etc etc. Very cool car.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. We need to see the current photos.HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Welcome to the HAMB, waiting for pictures!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. tractorguy

tractorguy

Welcome.......I LOVE old Buick straight eights ! When as a kid (1950's) our parents would take us to a local dirt track......flathead Fords......6cyl. Chevies.......flathead Mopar 6 cyls......and Buick straight eights. All the different sounds were like a symphony. I can still remember a white 1940's Buick coupe with the straight eight......ran up high against the cushion with a combination drone/rumble unlike anything else out there......except maybe the P-51 Mustang that circles our house on takeoff and approach to Waukesha airport on nice Sunday evenings. Again welcome and I would love a video with some noise !!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. LostBoy

LostBoy

I would love a straight 8

10. And welcome to the HAMB.
    You've found the right family.
    What a cool car. Especially since your dad had it.
    What's the complete story on your dad and the car?

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is gonna be SO good, I can feel it. Keep to it, lad.

lothiandon1940 and Texas Webb like this.
  12. Kummok

Kummok

The kind comments are appreciated. Not much else to say about this old build. It is stored at a friend's place in SoCal desert and I am located in Alaska, so the two photos posted are pretty much it for now. No immediate plans to drag it up here since it is in a more rust-free environment down there and I have neither the resources not use for it up here.
    This one hasn't been started since the 60s and it is only because I retrieved it from my childhood ranch in NorCal in the late 80s that I even have it now, since the remainder of the ranch has been passed on to a different branch of the family and all the old vehicles (there were many!) are long gone now...Packards, Dodge Bros, at least 3 49 Ford pickups, 49 Chrysler, Harleys, sidecars, Indians, Zundapp, and more, history now since the mid 90s. I have this and a 1963 Velocette Scrambler left. No place to store it or really drive it where I live in Alaska, so it will likely be sold someday when I can muster up the strength to abandon the sentimental family attachment to it. I hold on to the hope that Jay Leno is gonna call and want to bring it back to life and keep it in his collection...kinda like so many hang on to the hope that they are going to find that old WWII Harley WLA still wrapped in cosmoline in their old uncle's garage ;^)
    I'm planning a 2016-17 winter trip close to the area where it is stored...if I do, I'll get recent photos and share here...meanwhile, I'll enjoy drooling over the many choices on this site!

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Maybe there is a HAMBer closer to the cars location that wants to help you out, in getting it running and driving.

You might feel different if it can be running and driving, because that could be SO much fun, and it's almost there and looks like that it's fairly complete.

I wish I was closer, because that would make me all hot and bartered.
    And if you are willing to pay for my flight tickets, sponsor a army cot and a sleeping back, I can help you make it run for free, I pay my own food and can bring my own workclose. LOL

Jeff34 and Kummok like this.
  14. chickenshift

chickenshift

15. What did I mean by that?? I guess I meant #2 post.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Welcome. Enjoy the H.A.M.B.and all of the info. I have found it to be a great group of guys.
    Tony

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Russ Tee

Russ Tee
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Ditto on all of the above.
    Great hot rod, and glad you have it now.. may your Father RIP.
    Keep us in the loop...love stories and cars like this..
    Cheers Man...

Kummok and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Cool old hotrod! I can understand the sentimental attachment but it also sounds like you may be considering letting it go some day. Nothing against Jay Leno, but I'm guessing there are plenty of folks out there who may be interested in preserving this old hot rod, if you're not. But in my opinion, although it is an interesting piece of history, it probably doesn't have a huge value in dollars and cents to anyone but you. Restoring it would be a labor of love. Man, get it running and drive it! When you go down the road in it and hear the sound of the pipes and feel the wind in your hair, knowing that this was something your Dad built in his youth, what an amazing feeling that would be. It's a time machine custom made for YOU.

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jay Leno, but there might be a HAMBer or two that can preserve/bring back this and enjoy as it was meant to be.
    And if Buick eight is good enough for Ak Miller, it should be good enough for a lot of guys!!!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Saxman, Late to the Party and Kummok like this.
  21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Welcome- great story, great car.
    I'll call Jay and give him a heads up.

22. AmishMike

AmishMike

great car - keep the 8 + 4 carbs... Leave it as in picture just get it running. I am sure some HAMBer would buy/share it with you on visits. This is a classic.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. AmishMike

AmishMike

Once tried to buy old Hudson sedan for the 308 flathead 6 engine & trans with similar build in mind. Owner knew worth lots & he going to fix. Sat in field rusting away, stopped number of times - finally gone. Owner said wife made him junk.... Still like old Hudson engine. Please keep this thing as is....

24. If that were my car, I'd move someplace warmer and keep the car. Driving your dads car would be a hoot.
    Come to think of it. With or without the car, I move someplace WARMER...

volvobrynk and AmishMike like this.
  25. Kummok

Kummok

Being held hostage by grandkids...no car is worth time spent with them. Plus, I've gotten used to fresh King Salmon. ;^) Will visit car in warmer clime this winter and make decision...

czuch likes this.
  26. Kummok

Kummok

Totally understand that 'time v.s. projects' dilemma....watch quite a few of those give in to the ravages of time, growing up on our ranch...Packards, Harleys, Indians, Dodge Bros, even a V-12 1600hp engine out of a WWII fighter...Don't want that to happen to this yet, there it has sat since the mid 70s awaiting my attention as I adventure thru life at other passions...

27. Kummok

Kummok

Good one...tell him to bring his boat and we'll go coax some King salmon out of the water! ;^)

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dilemma...

Kummok likes this.
  29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Bitchen first world problem ya got there.
    Dad's rod, I gotta say it would be with me runnin. Great drive on the AlCan.

30. Kummok

Kummok

I like the way you think...an AlCan trip would be epic...expensive feeding 4 Packard 2bbls through Yukon, but epic!!

czuch likes this.