Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

This car won Indy in 1961 I believe and today after being completely restored is owned by Ron Norman who also has in his collection a few K.S. Pittman cars, a few of Jack Merkels old Willy's car along with many others including Stone, Wood's and Cooke cars. The Bee Line Automotive shop was located on the corner of West Avenue in Stamford, CT. for years.

loudbang and ME.GASSER like this.
  2. 296ardun

296ardun

This might be Alan Bockla at Rocky Mountain Dragway, around '68. I think that Alan was the first to break 200mph in Colorado, where the altitude is a challenge. He started off with a Chevy-powered modified roadster and moved up to fuel dragsters, always a hard runner.

loudbang and hendelec like this.
  3. Great pic . Do you know who the drivers is Gary ? It's the same helmet my Dad had before he painted it and the face mask looks just like his . I'm not for a fact sure it is him

loudbang likes this.
  4. I do not know who this is, sorry.

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  5. I think it is Gary here is his white helmet in indy the goggles look the same and the way he had his fire mask on also . I showed my Mom she kept thinking it could be Maxwell's dragster she's not sure

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  6. thehazguy

thehazguy

7. thehazguy

thehazguy

8. chase knight

chase knight

(Obviously) Buster hoisting Big, but celebrating the first 200 MPH run in Florida at Master Field in the fall of 1964. Regards, Chase

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The Leffler Bros coupe made a swing to the west coast in 1959-60. He raced at a lot of the local strips. Here is a compilation of this run through several of the places where I filmed the drag races. It was an impressive coupe to say the least…

Jnaki

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Great video as always, looks like he is racing Jerry Card at Bakersfield, here is a picture of his Fiat competition coupe, from Don Ewald's site.

Jeery-Card.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    kiwijeff, loudbang, thehazguy and 2 others like this.
  11. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

1965 NHRA World Finals in Stock Eliminator,"Spider Spanakos in the Chevrolet vs. Doug Kahl in the Plymouth.Kahl won.

loudbang, thehazguy and enloe like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Dave,
    Is this the same coupe back in 1959 at Lions?
    Jnaki

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I have been trying to identify this black coupe at Lions forever. If it is, yahoo...if it is not, then who is it?
    Jnaki

14. Purchased this B/W from Clare Sanders' LimeFire Old PDL 003.jpg at Pocono Drag Lodge back in the day.

kiwijeff, hendelec and saltflats like this.
  15. 296ardun

296ardun

No, the '59 Fiat competition coupe losing its engine in the lights at Lions was Bill Coburn's "Coburn Glaze Special," which ran a blown Chrysler with a torque converter. Here is a later picture of it, you can tell it is Coburn's from the nose, which has a small grill on it. I know it was in action in '59 as I saw it run at Riverside, in primer like in your video, and VERY LOUD!
    Dave

BillCoburn-3-60.jpg

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Dave,
    Wow, thanks... finally I can put a name (Bill Colburn) to that movie clip. Do you happen to know what that smoke was about in the movie clip? It looked like he went off the strip or was a huge explosion/fire.
    Thanks many time over...
    Jnaki

296ardun likes this.
  17. 296ardun

296ardun

That's blue "death smoke" from the engine, you can see it start before it finally erupts. Usually that meant burnt pistons, which was pretty easy with a blown Chrysler if you leaned it out too much. It also could have blown out the bottom, though usually a bottom-end explosion had less smoke, and there was not usually a starting smoke trail before the final big bang, as happened when pistons started to melt. I was an expert on this, having burned a bunch of pistons at Lions trying to be a hero...went broke instead.

18. Now HERE'S A GASSER!!!! This is what the real deal tri fives looked like!
    [​IMG]

hendelec, Rustomiser, Magnus and 8 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Go ahead and ask me how long I looked at this shot before I realized it was a four door.

Finn Jensen likes this.
  20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I noticed it right off and thought wow that's even more badass cause with the radiused wheel wells and all it's barely noticeable this year at the meltdown the guy who pitted next to me had a 66 Chevy II that had a Scot injector on a inline 6 cyl with a 4speed this car was a period perfect s/s car had chrome reverse wheels slicks and all best part was it was a 4 door unfortunately he didn't get to run it as he had trouble with his fuel shut off doesn't matter how many doors are on it if it works and that 55 looks like it worked well

loudbang likes this.
  21. Denny, how long did you look at that shot before you realized it was a four door?
    Actually, I didn't notice when I posted it!
    Hey, heard it's super hot up there!

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes I'll say, yesterday was 96, today and Saturday could bust 100 they are telling us.
    My bud from Bako called, said he just got in from Yuma, and recalled the thermo on the dash of his semi read 116, I don't know how you guys do this on a regular basis.

23. I just stay inside when it's over 100! Plus, EVERYTHING is air conditioned here and it's not super humid like Oregon! You will remember it after 79 straight days of gray skies later!

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

Hell, I didn't notice at all until your post!
    That thing's just so right, door count doesn't even come into play!

loudbang likes this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:cool: