Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TE-440 Slingshot Dragster Plans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judgeyoung, Aug 18, 2016.

1. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

There is a ton of great info on building slingshots, and in many there are references to guys having/offering/selling plan sets. But try as I might, I can't find a set to use for a build. Anyone have a set they can copy for me, sell me, or send me a link to? Other early SWB chassis plans would be welcomed, too! (BTW, yes, I understand that they won't pass tech for sub 10 sec ET's).

EVL401 likes this.
  2. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Have a partial set of plans and some info. E mail me at springgrange@personainternet or call 705 439 2567. I don't think I can e mail them to you, so will require a postal address.

3. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

Thanks! I emailed my info to the email you provided (I had to add .com to it... I assume that was correct?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Has anyone ever said how fast you can go in this chassis and be legal? If you stay over 10.01 are you legal?

Also, what kinda die are we talking about for the rear hoop? Angle of the down tube?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    need louvers ? likes this.
  6. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Here's a tease for you...Scotty and the boys in his shop welding up chassis's.
    SCOTTY FENN\'S CHASSIS RESEARCH.JPG

EVL401 and loudbang like this.
  7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

You can find out the angles of the roll hoop right off of the drawing using a protractor

You will need to get the roll hoop tubes bent on a mandrel bending machine, so the tube does not collapse while bending

DND

loudbang likes this.
  8. wsdad

wsdad

Can you use the, "pack-the-tubes-with-dry-sand" method or is that not a good idea on a roll bar?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a good idea if this chassis is to be inspected for actual sanctioned track use.

Proper benders are not hard to find.

loudbang and need louvers ? like this.
  10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

On that size tubing you got to get it really hot to bend it that far, like the other post says not a good idea

Plus you have to do it a few times to get good at sand bending

DND

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a 1-5/8" mandrel bender, but these look the be bent at a really tight angle. Not sure how they accomplished that.

loudbang likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5-1/2" is the smallest radius that my JD2 can do in 1-5/8".

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I would be interested in knowing how fast you could go with this and be legal.

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Minimum specs must be adhered to no matter what the speed or ET. An 11 second cannot be made out of emt conduit. 9.99 and a quicker it the threshold for sonic inspection and SFI tag

loudbang likes this.
  15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So 10.00 out of .125 wall DOM should be good to go. Some change to head protection area might be required I guess.

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

unless you plan on using thinwall tubing, you can bend .095/.120 wall tubing safely without a mandrel. JD2 benders create horrible bends, they stretch the OD flat around bend and becomes egg shaped

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

You can use .095 but it has to be chromoly which has its own downfalls. I use the .120 wall which is a little heavier, but not as brittle.

loudbang likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe, but to this date that has not caught the eye of any of the techs who inspected my work.

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

The only thing that concerns me is the driver sticking out of the top of the cage. Especially the taller drivers. That's why I lean towards the Dragmaster styled chassis.

21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Or a single hoop like a Fuller car, much better deal

loudbang likes this.
  22. You mean PROPER standards. You expect better, that is why I like your posts. Spec is a lot like building codes. To brag that you built it to code or Spec means you built it to the Passing "D" grade, the minimal passing grade. I always like to go above and beyond. Houses AND cars

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would build it so that I sat low in the car and add kidney bars and a good cross under me.
    It would be nice if one could put some more head protection to keep it from moving to much. But that wold take from the look.
    I think if you paint all the extra bars a flat color it may help hide them.

loudbang likes this.
  24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

How about keeping the seat bottom in the same place and building the bars a bit higher

Remember if you have 2" of clearance from your helmet top to the top of the bars, it can all go away with your body weight - belt stretch etc and that needs to be worked in for a safe race car

The ' Arse ' you save just might be your own !!

DND

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you seen my work, prior to this implied insult?

26. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I don't think you will ever get an original design Chassis Research car to pass tech at a licensed track. I had an original TE 440 car that I tried to get to pass tech a few years ago. The inspector wanted me to add 9 different bars for it to pass tech. Helmet bars, kidney bars etc..By then it's no longer a TE 440,so I passed on putting it on the track. I would talk to a local track tech inspector before I went any farther. If you are building a cackle car or show car you are good to go. Just my thoughts

27. That was not aimed at you at all.

28. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I found this on the net, and will bet that it is a HAMBer's car. It is similar to what I was thinking, maybe letting the additional back bars roll around to the front a little more, adding some black painted inconspicuous as possible helmet bars, and all the necessary kidney, etc down below the body line. Still just trying to get it safe and solid down to 10.0. Wont even get near that as I am running a warmed street flathead. IMG_4491.JPG

EVL401 likes this.
  29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Nobody is questioning your work, the choice of the bender is another issue. This is a HY-Bend using Hossfeld dies. I can bend 1.5 x .058 MOLY without disturbence to the bend without having to use a mandrel

hybend.jpg

30. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Not a hard chassis to build, those are 6" rad bends. If you build the chassis yourself, it would not cost much, but to have me or some other shop build it for you would be expensive because only one would be built. 1 3/4 x .120 ERW 6"rad. 235deg bend
    100_2192.JPG

A customer re-poping Ivos single engine dragster, I did the rear cage bends for Kent Fuller who did the chassis
    ivo single.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    EVL401 likes this.