Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2016 Banger Meet - lots to get ready for ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

teds kit works very well , just be sure the rest is up to par . when I had mine they would smoke the tires any time . great set-up !

2. ebtm3

ebtm3

''Just wondering what the general opinion is on the Flathead Ted's Model A Ford mechanical brake upgrade ? Stock Banger project, just wondering how good this upgrade is. Bob"

Bob, best thing that you can put on a mechanical brake Ford. I use, and recommend ''Green Gripper'' lining New cast iron drums help a lot also

Herb

3. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

have the B motor ripped apart going to do insert rods and mains also going to port and flow the 2port head. I also want to put a different cam in it has a tour grind I believe and thats not going to work lol the rocker ratio is 1:1 would like to keep the mechanical fuel pump if i could

4. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

They are all nice photos of a beautiful car, but number 3 would go really well with your racer's 'mug-shot' - sort of like a 'WANTED' poster!;)
    Looking at it another way, personally, I'd still go for photo' 3. If it was ever in a 'For Sale' advert, that would be the money shot for me!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    530sandman and ROCKER77 like this.
  5. 33WIRE

33WIRE

Here was my solution to dual 94 carbs being too much for a nearly stock "A" engine. I have this setup for two years now; first on my A engine and presently on a .040 over "B". I wanted the look of dual carbs so I blocked off one venturi in each carb; in a sense made two single bbl.'s out of them. I chose the venturi farthest away from the linkage to get the best seal on the throttle body shaft. All you need to do is block off a couple of vacuum passages, plug a jet with solder and cap off one side of the accelerator pump shooter; and make a block off plate for the throttle plate not used. The following pictures will show what I did. My 94's came with 11/16 venturis and .051 jets but the engine ran badly until I went way up in jet size. Presently using .062 jets. Jet size may vary depending on engine mods and intake design. The throttle response is instant at any rpm and pulls real strong.

Attached Files:

35PU, ebtm3, Crazydaddyo and 3 others like this.
  6. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

That is some great engineering tech well done
    I may try that carby set up on my next banger

7. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

The Bob Kehoe sprinter in now owned by Nor-Cal FAST member Rob Wallace
    DON'T FORGET OUR SEPTEMBER HILL CLIMB!

Dannerr likes this.
  8. 5280A2

5280A2

Thanks for an interesting tech on an age-old issue. I'm curious if you made any changes with the power valves? It seems like with the stock PV's you would still be getting twice the enrichment needed, or does blocking the discharge nozzle for the accelerator pump take care of that?

9. 33WIRE

33WIRE

Sorry, I left the power valve issue out. I have a vacuum pump and made a fixture to hold the power valves, and an inches of water gauge so I could mess with the springs on them...got them down to approx. 4.5 inches of water. No I don't believe the accel pump nozzle does nothing more than it should and remember you only need on side now as everything is dead on one side: idle screw, throttle blade and idle circuit. If for nothing else, blocking one side of the nozzle makes the other side squirt real strong. As I said it fooled me as to jet size; you would think one .051 in each carb would be enough as if you had one single 2 bbl 94 on the engine. But it was way too lean and the only next larger drill size I had was approx. .062. I now have some more drills to try to see if it can be leaned out a bit. It burns a nice brown on the plugs and I don't want to go too lean and don't really care how much gas it uses. I can jamb the pedal to the floor at any speed and it will not bog or pop. Be aware that there are at least 3 venturi sizes that I have found: 15/16, 1 inch , and 1 1/16th. So if you do this, make sure that both carbs are the same and and sync them with a u-gauge

10. Hey Crazydaddyo,
    Is this a 5 main crank and cam like a Donovan? Who made it?
    Joe

11. brjnelson

brjnelson

I just got done upgrading the brakes with Flathead Teds kit, cast rear drums and some Rocky Mountain front drums that I have been sitting on for 18 years. The Heap stops much better, I am going to the HotRod Hillclimb in Colorado and thought brakes would be a good thing to have.
    Now I got to learn about High Alt jetting my 81's.....

Dannerr, burl and cactus1 like this.
  12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Dannerr likes this.
  13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

here is the cast iron engine running.

14. We drove from Kansas City to the hillclimb for the last three years ( about 1200 miles round trip) and I never re-jetted the Rochesters on my 283. The run up the hill is pretty much wide open so I say flog that thing!

15. Hey guys,

Just saying...But Crower makes a t main crank...I got one through Jay Steel about six years ago.

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Is that a 5 main crank or "T" main crank?
    Knowing your car, I would assume it is a 5 main crank.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  17. brjnelson

brjnelson

Yes, she will get flogged, but, this flatlander, has only Hillclimb raced in Iowa, our hill course is flat and only about 1400 in elevation.

18. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Brjnelson, Let's assume a 12% grade at the start line, on asphalt with a sharp turn 150 yards away. I am thinking one might want to bring axle keys, spare clutch and a change of shorts.

Dannerr, cactus1 and ROCKER77 like this.
  19. What I'm saying is it's 866' above sea level where I'm from. We drove to the summit (7000' +) and I didn't re-jet. Here's a pic to prove it (with my lovely wife modeling.)

Have fun! I wish we could make it again this year!

image.jpeg

Dannerr, waxhead, fourd and 1 other person like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice tail gate

21. brjnelson

brjnelson

I have not worried about the axle keys, the old bias ply's do not bite enough to break parts.
    I hope I do not put a curse on my 85 year old driveline.
    I will wish I had kind of sway bar - panhard type thing, the body roll on my old sedan will be my limiting factor,
    But, that is the price I pay for being pre-war peroid correct.
    I am getting pumped for the event.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  22. I got to hang out with my good friend Max from H and H and meet/hang out with Bobby Green and get my hands on Bobby's awesome Indy car! He would have broke a world record cause he had already passed the speed of over 110 mph but this damn intake valve broke and slowed him down way before he passed the official timing light! Now, Bobby has something to make a medallion necklace with!
    (I know he will break it next time!) Max built one "BAD ASS" 4 port Flathead Diamond B! Only damage other than the valve was the seat! It was not really as bad as it could have been!
    Joe[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dannerr and ROCKER77 like this.
  23. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

just checking in , Wish I had read the brake talk before I did all the work to change to 40 brakes, like the look of the mech brakes

24. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

25. I like mine! Ha ha.
    You better have a ton of cash to build a lowerend to hold up to it!

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Joe, thanks for the response and the PM.

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Looking for some suggestions on carburetor jet size for my coupe project. The motor is stock and I will be running a single stromburg 97 with a red's tube header. I live at 6000 feet elevation. I am just getting started on rebuilding the carb and need a place to start with main jets and power valve. What are you guys running in yours?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. steve hackel

steve hackel

Does anyone know of a person that builds "custom" friction shocks - there were a few pictures onn here several years ago, but I can't locate them now. Looking for something better in looks & function than the Speedway motors style available. Thanks

29. PhredH

PhredH

Here's some info I received from Stromberg in England when I inquired about jetting my single 97 carb for altitude. Hope it helps.

"Generally the changes are not as much as you might think. The original Ford assembly drawings talk about normal altitude (0.045 jets) as 0 to 5000ft, then 0.043 jets at 5-10K and 0.041 at 10-15K.

We have customers in Colorado who run eg 0.042 jets in a 97 2x2, where most folks run 0.043."

Dannerr and Binger like this.
  30. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming