Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yes sir, I got me a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Freaky1, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Freaky1

Freaky1

So here we go, another Henry J build thread. I don’t plan to bring another Henry J gasser into the world. They are very cool and all but I’m going a different route with mine. I don’t even want to try and give it a name as I’m not really sure what style you’d call it.

My current power plant is a ’49 Olds 303 with a Saginaw 4 speed behind it. I know the Saginaw isn’t a brick schoolhouse but it works and was cheap and down the road I plan to upgrade to possibly a T10. While I certainly have nothing against the 303, I do have a ’62 401 Nailhead that is waiting for a rebuild and will eventually call the Henry J home. Sort of like my tranny choice the 303 runs and was available, so it’s first to the plate. My goal for the 401 is to strap my 471 blower on it and build a chain drive. I know there are many better way to get the most out of that little blower and a chain drive isn’t one of them but I think they are cool so there you go.

I’m probably going to use the stock frame as it is in good shape. I might have to beef it up a bit near the rear and advice would be welcomed from people who have dealt with them before. I’m looking at going with Jamco for front end parts as from what I’ve seen and heard the Henry J front end is a dead ringer for 49-51 Fords. I thought about a Mustang II but given the space issues I see already I don’t think I’m going to do power steering. Plus I’d like to be able to bolt the new stuff right into place of the old. I’m going to do disk brakes and updated spindles as the stock Henry J ones look like they came off of a peddle car.

Rear end I’m thinking 8 inch again because I don’t see the need for the expense of a 9 inch, I could be wrong, wouldn’t be the first time. Since it’s going to be more of a daily hot rod and not a drag car I’m also thinking leaf springs and some added helpers will be just right. I’m hoping to find one that is already narrowed but I’m not there yet so I’ll cross that bring when I come to it. Looks to me like any sort of even slightly oversized wheel/tire combo is going to require some modification back there to but again, haven’t come to that bridge yet.

I think I’ve got a good base to start from and don’t plan on going too radical with it. Maybe groovy old style hot rod with a few minor modern goodies? I know there will be challenges ahead but I’m hoping to find answers and advice here and from my friends. I didn’t want this first post to be a book so here are some pictures and let’s get going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sounds like a plan! Cool.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN5942.JPG DSCN2437.JPG Cool - with the rear fenders on it looks like a future design - without those fenders it looks more like the 40's - good idea to rework the front with better steering, brakes, etc - I always afvor a slight chop instaed of the full fish bowl look - have fun
    yep

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Freaky1

Freaky1

I picked up a set of fenders in California, just waiting for them to ship. The guy I got the J from had a set that had been radiused but I'm more into the stock look.

5. Freaky1

Freaky1

Alright, I got the front end off and have decided at this point I'm probably going with a rebuild kit from Kanter. Someday, maybe, I'll go full out and do the Mustang II thing but for now I want to get some things done before winter. I found a link to add disk breaks to the stock spindles and I like that idea. Once I start on that I'll decide for sure if it looks like a good plan and move on from there.

I saw somewhere that you can flip the spindles and get a 2" drop, measuring it looks to me more like 3". I'll try it and see what it looks like unless someone has some input.

Now question time. I posted some pics of the front end, can anyone tell me where to look and maybe what to look for to determine if this front end is any good or if I need to replace A arms, spindles, and the like?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. F&J

F&J

On the uprights you want to flip; is the king pin bore exactly parallel to the centerline of upper/lower bushings? I can't tell. If not parallel, flipping will mess the camber up.

the front end parts look stronger than the stock pinto that everyone calls a M2 because it sounds better :)

302GMC likes this.
  7. Freaky1

Freaky1

Well.....the center section of the kingpin is straight the actual spindle is at an angle. I think I'll have to fip the spindles on the kingpins.

"I'd like to purpose a toast...to internal combustion and wind in the face." ~Michael Sarrazin The Gumball Rally

8. I like your idea of building your Henry J as a Hot Rod, instead of a gasser. It will be quite different from the norm, which is what Hot Rodding is all about, if I remember correctly. ;) I also like your choice of the early OHV Olds engine. That's a real Hot Rod motor. Looking forward to future updates on your build.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Freaky1 likes this.
  9. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

See if you can move the spring pocket to the other side of the A-arm. Might be an easier way to get some drop? Works on 30s -50s Mopar at least.

Freaky1 likes this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Find a Volare or Diplomat (?) & measure it. They got torsion bars & you can lower them with a wrench. Got your dix brakes & a good steering setup for that type swap. 4 1/2'' lug pattern.

Freaky1 likes this.
  11. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Here's a picture of my Henry J, which I sold about 15 years ago. The front uprights were turned upside down, they are perfectly symmetrical, didn't affect the alignment at all. FYI, early Torino rotors will bolt right on, bearings and all. I think I had to get a different grease seal. I had to make caliper mounts. Bob scan0001.jpg

Deano5934, 302GMC, Paul B and 8 others like this.
  12. Freaky1

Freaky1

That's a good idea, I'll check it out. 3" seems like a lot when I'd have no way to adjust it.

"I'd like to purpose a toast...to internal combustion and wind in the face." ~Michael Sarrazin The Gumball Rally

13. Freaky1

Freaky1

Thanks, I'm really excited to get the Olds engine in & see what it can do!

14. Freaky1

Freaky1

That's awesome!! I was really hoping to see & hear from someone who had flipped them before. Love the stance & I appreciate the heads up on the disks. The ones the diagram I have called for were from a Cadillac I think. I didn't want to redrill them to match a Ford bolt pattern.

15. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Congratulations on the HJ. If you are on facebook I started a HenryJ's page. PM me after you request to join to be accepted. There is also Henry J world on FB.

16. Freaky1

Freaky1

Ok, there were like 5 different Henry J groups so I joined them all.

302GMC likes this.
  17. Freaky1

Freaky1

Ok, while I'm sure there will be many more I had my first setback yesterday. I spoke with Chris at Shoebox Central & he told me that a Henry J front end does look exactly like a 49-51 Ford but only smaller. His words were that it was a good thing is called first because if I ordered a bunch of parts that when they came I'd have been pissed because nothing would have fit. He said they had bought one last year & measured it up at the shop & it was all smaller. I'm not too bummed because I have a complete front end & nothing looks too worn out. Well, aside from the rubber bumpers which are toast & those are cheap enough I'll pick a set of them up & see how they fit.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I still like "J"s, Your going good,I customized * mine in 1960 an it was in Car Craft mag,back in Jan. 1963. I also had Olds 88 power,frankly the Olds V8 n Hyro lbs. was what lowered front end n I reset alinemint.
    * Cutting the top off plan came about after about 6months of hunting up a fairly big pile of parts an figguring how to fit it all together. When 17 in 1960 I didn't build things in a few days like we see on TV now. LOL CarCraft J 1963.jpg

19. Freaky1

Freaky1

That's wild! Do you have any more pictures of it? I'm trying to stay in a reasonable time-line with my J, but I don't have the time, money or space to build anything as quick as they do on TV. That makes good TV but we know the "reality" of it, lol.

dana barlow likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Here's another pic,ya asked 4. Ya its a beach sea'n,LOL {had too clean back up all that sand when show was over too.
    Having built many cars over the years,I find it odd how many guys get talked into changing out the factory frame or frontsub. The "J" was more then strongenough if not wrecked or rusted. It came with ether a 4cly {my "J" had a 4 to start with} or a fairly big 6cly that was very close to lbs of some V8s=frame n sub was up to the job. In todays world,I would add disk brakes at lest up front. I beat the crap out of the stock "J" readend/but it held up an filled the rear wells with tire smoke a lot from Olds 88. So now looking around an seeing how many shops try an sell guys new frames or front subs,I think in most cases,there just trying to make more $ vs actully get a car done & fun. Image-05.JPG

T-roaster, slowmotion and kiwijeff like this.
  21. Freaky1

Freaky1

Yea, I thought about doing a frame swap but almost the entire frame is boxed already and in decent shape so I'm sticking with it. I might add some meat to the rear of the frame but I haven't even decided what I'm doing back there. I've got a line on a Ford 8" and a 8 3/4" (that's been narrowed a bit) but we'll see. I think I'm just going with leaf springs back there too. The stock rear end was gone when I got it so I've got to do something.

I'm doing disk brakes up front and that's about the only change I'm going to make. I'll need to modify the radiator mounting because I got a clean Mustang radiator and it's pretty close to fitting already.

It's got the dual fresh air vents and I'm not going to wreck those but I also don't think I'll actually use them either.

dana barlow likes this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

If you want a 9" dont let the cost scare ya. They are $90 at the U Pull It

23. Freaky1

Freaky1

Looking for suggestions or input on my brake/clutch pedal setup. I'm going to probably buy something new from someone like Speedway & have a dual master cylinder. Not sure if I should look for under floor mount with the pedals coming up or something on the firewall & pedals hanging down. It seems pretty tight under the hood but I'm not sure how I like them coming up from the floor. Anyone with 2 cents got something to steer me one way or another?

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used 94 jeep cherokee, the whole thing. I got pedals, pedal mount,master cylinder, stop light switch, booster and proportioning valve from the U pull it. I think it was $45

25. Freaky1

Freaky1

Sounds good, I'd rather pull it for less $. I also need to look at gas tanks while I'm there. I've got fenders on the way from California & seems like I remember the fuel cap is on the left.

26. Freaky1

Freaky1

So I got my engine on a stand and needed to measure up the motor mounts. I have a set on the engine that are Hurst and are 20" apart so it can be dropped in a Ford. My HJ has motor mounts that someone installed but I found out they are 17" apart so they have to come out. Of course they couldn't just bolt them in, so I'm just going to post a "before" photo now. I'll post a "removed" photo along with a "after" photo once I get it all cleaned up to save the freaking out.

[​IMG]

I also scored a nice glass rear window along with a couple glass taillights, base and all.

[​IMG]

And a fresh gauge panel, mine was a bit different but I like this style better.

[​IMG]

Now I've got to do some digging for info on this 303 Olds. I've got the J2 intake and know I need to make some adjustments to the intake ports on the heads. If the heads are coming off & going to a shop I'd like to find out more about the 1.8 ratio rockers I've read about. Who knows, I might even go for a full rebuild and get it all right.

koolkemp and dana barlow like this.
  27. Congrats on getting a Henry J, did you see I have the disc brake conversion available on Facebook and I also have a set of new old stock king pins as well.

henryj1951 likes this.
  28. Freaky1

Freaky1

Are those for the setup with Camaro disks and maybe Caddy calipers? I went with all Torino parts, bearings, calipers and disks so I'm not sure yours would fit.

I did the kit from Kanter because I'm going stock front end and it had kingpins in the kit.

dana barlow likes this.
  29. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

30. Freaky1

Freaky1

You know I signed up for an account there quite a while ago and still haven't been approved by the admin. I'll still check the build out for sure!