Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional-looking self-cancelling indicator idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Aug 7, 2016.

1. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is neat! Hows it work?

2. Citroen eschewed self cancelling indicators right up until the late 1980's on the grounds that you are the driver and you decide when to cancel. I use 2CV and H van indicator and headlamp stalks on my OT car and my Modified because they're neat and simple - I have even sent some over to US HAMBers.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  3. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Blackjack. Do you have a picture of those switches? I did a quick search and it showed a few different styles.

4. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

after all this has been said, I still like your drawing.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  5. Here's the indicator switch;
    [​IMG]
    Here's the headlamp switch;
    [​IMG]

dogwalkin likes this.
  6. V stands for Ville or Town (dipped) and R is Rural or main beam.

They are not expensive new and are cheap as salvage parts.

7. Not sure? I haven't had any time to screw with it! I took everything out that I needed from a parts car, I would like to use it, I'll probably bench test it before I do anything! Everything was in decent shape, wires were still soft and all the contacts were in good shape. From what I understand certain models were different? Power steering and the manual optioned cars?

8. cretin

cretin

High Plains Drifter,
    That's pretty cool. I'd love to see how that comes together.

9. Ned Ludd likes this.
  10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That's interesting. The use of a microprocessor disqualifies it for my purposes, but I'm wondering if the same result could be achieved using electromagnets, something like a pop-up toaster's mechanism.

11. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck....I would have to learn how to read English for this.

12. ElBurro

ElBurro

13. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Or just get the vintage looking steering wheel with built in signals, looks great and fixes all the issues.

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Which one is that?

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That inertia-based thing is tickling me. It must be possible to devise something using tilt switches, some analogue control circuitry, and a switch with a mechanical escapement triggered by solenoids. I'll research it a bit.

16. I replaced the rubber ring piece with an o/ring,You have to pull the switch apart(1 screw) cut the ring away and replace it with a new large cross section o/ring

Stogy and Ned Ludd like this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just a general comment... I like to drive my cars, POV or hot rods and the faster you go the further you get from just cruzn around profiling with you arm hanging out the window to having both hands on the wheel and full attention on the road ahead. Stepping things up - from cruzn, to touring, to grand touring requires focus and hands on the wheel. For that reason I don't mind a little distracting crapola on the steering column (or floor boards) - signals, hi-low beams, wipers / washers, or even cruise control. I know it galls some, but when have to take your eyes or hands off the wheel to do something while driving quickly it's not ideal, and I'm really interested in as many vintage appearing gizmos we can find that look retro but work like in your daily. I'd love to see a fabricated column that look's 40's but works like a modern car, all gussied up with art deco trim and such. Gary

18. BE CAREFUL!
    Ya gotta be careful with hand signals. Kids and half wits these days apparently don't know what you're doing. TWICE now within a few months I've nearly been plowed using the "traditional" hand signals in the roadster.

On the highway at speed I hand signaled left to turn down my own road. Some testosterone fueled
    ass-clown behind me figured I was motioning him to come on around! Just before I sawed the wheel left, looked in the rear view mirror again and he was gone - looked out the side as he blew blew on by!

Good thing for him the AK was in the trunk!!

This is a good thread - gotta do something like everyone suggests......

19. Eric1967 likes this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

21. Viking supplied the one for Willys Jeeps and worked off the same principle. The one I have here even has a cast aluminum body.

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  22. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

23. The column is traditionally styled with hidden self cancelling turn signal mechanism
    A self contained package-already wired-mount it, plug it in and go..no wheel to re-invent

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Thanks, but I'm not desperate for a steering column; I'm looking for a cool wheel-reinventing project :)

RMR&C likes this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

allstate indicator.jpg index.jpg
    Mine :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  26. Trouble is, it was made by Lucas Electric, "THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS" :rolleyes:

27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Do you know why the Brits like warm beer?

Lucas Refrigeration

deadbeat likes this.
  28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

After seeking some expertise at Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange I think I've figured out how to do the inertial self-cancelling mechanism using no more than two tilt switches, two microswitches, two latching relays, two regular relays, two small pull solenoids, and a fabricated switch/lever mechanism. It's a lot simpler than the microprocessor-controlled device from Gas Auto Solutions, more traditional technology, and more familiar ergonomics too. More later.

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Waiting..........

deadbeat and Ned Ludd like this.
  30. To add to what's been said, Austin Healey and TR3 have a simple chrome turn signal switch with horn button in the steering wheel hub.
    It would take some noodlin' to adapt, plus it's the highly vaunted Lucas mfg.
    image.jpg

motoklas, Dino 64 and Ned Ludd like this.