Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New 57 Ranchero - What should I do with it?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ThatSteveGuy, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ThatSteveGuy

ThatSteveGuy

upload_2016-8-9_21-12-29.png
    Yes, this car will get lowered. I just picked this up and I'd like to hear your suggestions. I'm new to HAMB. This Ranchero has a very nice 390 with the gold Thunderbird valve covers on it. This car was originally painted red and white. I may paint over the turquoise and make it all-white for now. I think a panel paint job would look good on it.

Stogy, kidcampbell71, 1-SHOT and 3 others like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like it the way it is.
    Mild lowering will enhance the look.
    Please, no air bags or cheesy paint jobs.(since you mentioned them, panel paint jobs come to mind as being in that category)

3. ThatSteveGuy

ThatSteveGuy

upload_2016-8-9_21-31-27.png
    Its not a 406. It needs some details, but what a great start! I'm thrilled with this. I never would have thought about adding Vintage air, but its there, so I'll use it.

4. Fedman

Fedman

2" Drop Front and Back..........
    Then drive it until it's worn out! :)

Gabe Fernando likes this.

5. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

I would keep it as is for now. Just lower it. Maybe, if needed, a Cadillac airfilter box, painted gold to match the valve covers, and just have fun with it.

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Maybe just lower the front a couple of inches. The paint looks great to me, complements the tires.

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad had one of those, new at the time. Do a search, I think the Aerostar springs work on a 57, and drive much better and lower it. Blocks in the back. If those had 14" wheels, see how it looks. But I like 15's on them. A little clean up on the hose and wire routing, and an air cleaner. Maybe something off a HP 390 (I'm sure anything off a 406 is made from unobtainium). Or the Caddy as suggested. Then drive the hell out of it. Cool ride.

8. Nice Ranchero, and I'll add to the 'just lower it' votes, although I'd add some spider caps or '56 Ford white center dog dish caps. I do see one issue; early valve covers and a late intake, so no place to add engine oil. You'll have to address that at some point. Maybe start looking for a set of Cal Custom finned covers... :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As most have said, looks great-just drop it a bit-no bags and maybe play with the wheels.

10. ThatSteveGuy

ThatSteveGuy

Good eye! Weird, huh? I have solution for that. Among my old parts I have a moon breather that can be added to one valve cover. If not, Ill just change the intake. I just happen to have a stock 63 Galaxy air cleaner from my last project that will be perfect. Ive never owned a car that someone else put together. It sure is nice to start with something that already runs. I had to give up my projects due to my health. I sold two old cars, paid my medical bills, then bought a simple car that can be driven as is.

czuch likes this.
  11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Are you on drugs or sniffing paint or something?? That Ranchy is NICE! Just lower it a couple of inches and get those crappy paint ideas out of your mind.

12. Ummmm you do nothing but get some bullets for the wheels and chrome
    Lug nuts..some lowering blocks for the rear and wack a coil of the front end..those cars are too cool to really get to crazy with AND if you decided to start slicing and dicing I would go pretty mild with it

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  13. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

15 inchers w/full '57 caps and a couple of inches on each end. Chrome exhaust tips out the back. Keep the 'whites'. Fiddle with the little details as you go. Figuring how to get oil into her might be kind of a fun project. I love that '56 headlight ring deal. These are great looking cars to begin with. Don't get crazy.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Dean Lowe likes this.
  14. oldolds

oldolds

I would leave my hands off of it. Way easier to change valve covers on an FE motor than intake.

belair likes this.
  15. The blue and white looks great. I'll save you a lot of effort if you want to paint it, sell it to me!

RocklinDave, 504640 and slowmotion like this.
  16. '57 Ranchero is my all time favorite car, I had one long ago, that is as sweet as one as I've ever seen. Whatever you want to do to it, can't go wrong, imo.

17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Bullett center caps and a vote to lower her a skosh. Not my most favorite year for ranchero however yours just might make me change my mind. Very good looking car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  18. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's pretty damn nice as is. Down 2" in front, maybe 1" out back. Please don't drop it to the ground. These things look killer when the stance is right. Color combo looks fine to me. A set of chrome stamped stock FE v/covers w/oil filler, period air cleaner, & call it a day. Very nice Ranch-aroo ya got there.

19. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Makes me want to start working on mine- and my 57 Sedan Delivery. I would strongly recommend against adding a breather to those Bird covers, nice unmolested sets have some value and somewhat sought after- I might even be interested in some swapping/ trading, as I have a couple sets of CalCustoms, and was getting ready to clean up a set of Birds with 406 decals to go with a 3x2 on my 62 XL Sunliner. You might want to look at the rear of the intake to see if it has the old style breather hole, as they got oil in it somehow, and it has to be vented somewhere?

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Don't mess with a good paint combination. A solid colour would not do it justice. Perfect the way it is, maybe slightly a lower stance

Gabe Fernando, 283john and Johnboy34 like this.
  21. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I don't have any pics of my 'chero online so I'll post a ton of over-the-top pics to inspire you since you're a newb ... hope nobody's on dial-up... (is that still a thing?)

Attached Files:

22. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Oh, I've got a set of '58 Edsel wagon taillights that are kinda pitted I'd part with if you're interested... (those are the COOl boomerang taillights...)

23. belair

belair

Spiders and drop it two inches. And leave the paint alone. You got a winner pretty much as is.

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Congratulations, all the way around!

I love customs, but yours is nearly perfect as is (stance notwithstanding).
    I agree on keeping the existing paint, which the gold trim compliments like no other.

I would probably swap the bug-eyed headlight rims for some flush '56 Ford PU rings (as seen below),
    and fit '64 Ford lenses into the stock tail light housings.
    Center caps or spiders to finish off those beautiful wheels, maybe "cheater plugs" in the front wheel wells,
    and focus on some R&P upholstery.

Nice!

[​IMG]

Gabe Fernando, 504640 and belair like this.
  25. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Paint it solid white??? Seriously??? sheesh o_Oo_O

Remember you put it up here for opinions.... some kind of caps for the wheels, a little lower and a way to add oil... Done and enjoy!

PunkAssGearhead88 and 283john like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on a great looking ride - as for a way to add oil, mid/late 60's FE manifolds not designed like that, although a aftermarket would add some performance - change the valve covers - also, change the fan or at least add a fan shroud - get rid of flip up radiator cap - add radiator recovery tank if it does not have one - have fun

27. RAR1947

RAR1947
    from Minnesota

Maybe someone already mentioned it and I missed it but the rear shackles look like they've been flipped. If so, just reverse them how they should be and it'll drop the rear. Some Aerostar springs as others mentioned and you might be spot on the stance with very little $ or time.

28. 57 Rancheros are my number one WISH TO OWN ONE.
    Yours looks perfect.
    Just put in some Aerostar front coils, 2 inch lowering blocks for the rear, loose the plastic circular trim on the tail lights and maybe a set of Torque Thrusts?

29. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

beav134b.2046.jpg

30. ThatSteveGuy

ThatSteveGuy

The fan looks totally out of place. I may dig up an original four blade fan. For now, I'm going paint the fan and pulley black. The exterior paint looks amazing in the photo, but its actually a 10 footer. I'm going to color sand and buff it this weekend. It is going to need a paint job down the road. This car was red and white! I cant figure out why someone changed it to blue and white.