Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Car is finally coming around. I have been picking at it with a bunch of little changes and it is finally getting there. Qualified #2 at Montgomery and was down to 3 cars when the rain came and shut down the race. I had the bye run into the final. Looks like we will finish the race at Darlington in August. Hopefully, they car stays running like it is. I have a couple things left to explore to try to bring the ET down even further. We shall see if I help or hurt it..LOL

2. Love the way this thing wheelies - my new goal is to get my car to leave as good as the Banana!

Spoggie, mad mikey and Bad Banana like this.
  3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Excellent showing Rusty, your car was on all day and I'll assure you it was the fan favorite in C/G. Funny thing another yellow 55 chevy was the fan favorite in A/G. They loved the wheels up in first and second gear.

4. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

5. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Montgomery Wheelie.jpg

Home from Darlington, SC. It is 9:30 pm on Tuesday and I am still trying to recover from the weekend. I thought Montgomery was hot and humid but I found out that Darlington was even worse. Good news was that the car didn't care. It worked flawlessly all weekend which allowed me to stay hydrated and out of the sun as much as possible.

I got treed in the make up race from Montgomery in the final but went on to win the Darlington event. Got loaded up at 1:30 am Sunday morning and drove north until 4:30 am. Slept 3 hours and drove some more. Continued to drive/nap/drive until we pulled into the driveway at nearly Midnight Sunday night. Worked Monday then helped a guy move in the evening. Anyway, the win is sinking in and I am starting to feel the reality of what happened.

It was late when I did the interview in the winners circle and I forgot to mention a lot of folks who I should. Hopefully I can win another one at some point and be more prepared as to what I need to say and who I need to thank.

So.. in no particular order:
    RAM clutches.. awesome parts. Makes this car's launches look as pretty as a hot babe in a bikini :)

AlkyDigger FI Systems... Mike is a great guy with a vast knowledge of these old stack systems. He has worked with me thru my struggles trying to run stack injection on gasoline. I think we are finally getting it close but I am sure we are still leaving a bit on the table...LOL

Ashcraft Speed and Marine.. Denny is a life long friend who has kept all of my engine junk in running order for longer than I care to admit. I have carried junk into his shop that no one else would touch with a 10 foot pole and yet he somehow is able to make chicken soup out of my chicken crap... :D

My stepson Austin who is currently serving his country in the Army. If it wasn't for him this old car would still be sitting in the back of my pole barn covered in dust and old boxes.

My lovely wife Sharon. She encourages me to do this crazy hobby that most reasonable people would not even consider. She understands how important this old car is and does everything she can to allow me to be able to make it to all of the races I can. That is huge. I couldn't do it without her support.

If you haven't seen one of these races live, you are missing a great show. The final round at Darlington in C/Gas the two cars were separated by less than .001 second in ET at the finish line. It was door handle to door handle the whole way down. Some of the best racing I have ever been involved in and I have been doing this a very long time.

See ya at the races! :)

Spoggie, slowmotion, Butch M and 10 others like this.
  6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

It looked good in darlington. Glad I got to see it.

Quain Stott likes this.
  7. Danny G

Danny G

Congratulations Rusty, I bet you were smiling all the way home

Bad Banana and Quain Stott like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

All your hard work is paying off in spades.

Quain Stott likes this.
  9. Couldn't be happier for you Rusty! The fist time I saw the Banana make a pass I thought wow look at that old car, too bad these newer builds will kick its ass :D :) awesome to see you in the winner circle!

Bad Banana, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

YOU COMING TO CHATTANOOGA AT THE END OF THE MONTH?

11. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

That is currently the plan!

enloe likes this.
  12. Looked great at Darlington. Definitely the most period correct gasser there. Congrats on your win.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Some good video of the car in this video

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Greetings from cyberspace via Adelaide South Australia. I'm diggin' all the Stotts & SE have goin' on. Youtube is my friend and I just love the way Banana leaves..

15. loudbang

loudbang

A couple shots from the tape for you.

banana 1.JPG
    banana 2.JPG
    banana 3.JPG
    banana 4.JPG

16. 55 Gasser at its best. Very cool, and fast.:cool::D

loudbang likes this.
  17. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Here's the video of the win at Darlington.

kidcampbell71 and elgringo71 like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

A few more from this tape for your collection. Congrats on the big win.

banana 1.JPG
    banana 3.JPG
    banana 4.JPG
    banana 5.JPG
    banana 6.JPG
    banana 8.JPG
    banana 9.JPG
    banana 10.JPG banana 11.JPG
    banana 12.JPG banana 13.JPG
    banana 14.JPG

19. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

He's been in almost a year and a half. He is stationed in Fort Drum NY. He gets home on occasion as it is about a 6 hour drive home. He was home about a couple weeks ago for a 4 day weekend. He talked to his mom last night and just got back from the field and he received some sort of recognition while he was out there. She didn't get any details. I'll ask him the next time I talk to him. He has grown up fast. I miss not having him around. Proud of him to chose to serve his country. Thanks for asking.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

They are stock Ford passenger car I believe. I got them from a guy here on the HAMB that is local to me and he wasn't sure exactly what they were off of but they were the 4.5" bolt pattern used by Ford and Chrysler back in the day. They are in pretty nice shape. No serious rust (just has some surface rust from sitting around). If you go back to about Jan 2013 in this thread you can see where I got them. I sandblasted them and then powder coated them. The color was off a bit on the powder coat so I painted over it. Seems to hold up pretty well. They are heavy. The front wheels and bias tires are about 35 lbs a piece I would say.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

<---------- :D

saltflats, enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

That is more like it!!!

23. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Season is over. Lost at 5 cars at Greer by literally .52" (five eights of an inch). Some of the best racing I have ever been part of. Need to do some work over the winter. Finished 4th in the points even though I missed a race. The way the points were structured, attending races meant more points than actually winning races. The fact I missed one hurt my chances but I am satisfied knowing the top cars in the class are scared to run me and the car is capable of winning at any time. Honestly, luck and hitting the tree are two of the biggest factors. Here is some raw footage from Saturday with no voice over. The final official race video will be out in a week or so.

24. Great job Rusty, we really love watching this car leave the line wheels up! Keep up the great work and see you next season!!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Thanks for being a friend, whether you know it or not, this year. I enjoyed running against you, seems like I had to do it at least once a race. You taught me a lot. I listened and learned. I'll enjoy running you next year too, cause I'm coming for you. You're on my list. We'll be players next year.
    Thanks man,
    Robert & Rita

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    saltflats, loudbang and Bad Banana like this.
  26. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Robert.. Thanks for the kind words. I watched your build on the HAMB and I can say there are not many folks in this world who can do it all themselves like you and Rita. You guys obviously have the perseverance and drive to do this. I have no doubt you will be a contender next year. Please stick with it and never be too shy to ask for help or advice (either here on the 'net or at the track). I'm never very far away. :) I can guarantee you will always get an honest answer even if it's "I don't know"...LOL :confused:

loudbang likes this.
  27. great job to all seg racers. very entertaining videos. looks like a fun group.

Dog_Patch, fast30coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Greer Finale 2016. These videos are great and I think this one is the best so far. It is a bit over an hour. Grab a beverage and a comfy seat and watch it. You will like it I am sure.

Dog_Patch, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  29. I, and many others, agree with you. I heard several people at the concession stand say pretty much the same thing. Never heard a scoop described like that though however true! Radiused wheel wells are "encouraged", but not required...YET