Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Me like this......

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470338720.993583.jpg
    Can't have red shocks under this thing!
    Haven't made much progress this week. I have a lot of stuff goin on around the house.
    Would someone chime in on this please. I've been miffed for awhile about my rear brake drums. I haven't had any luck locating later behind the hub style. I don't want to take the only pair I have for my truck and use on this. I have three total over the hub drums right now. Two intended for the front and one extra.
    Today I measured the inside depth of my PUs behind the hub and compared them to my others. It worked out to be deeper on the over the hub style roughly the .250 of a dirty hub flange. This to me sounds like you can run a over the hub on a behind the hub, hub? My rear hub centers the drum as well.
    Now leaving studs out of the whole dilemma is this correct? Do I actually only need one drum now and can get to finding a stud that will mount in my rear hubs without the swedge crap?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Too bad you are so far away. I have a set of the drums here.

Runnin shine likes this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Talk about rubbing salt!

5. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

How about shipping?

6. I believe even if the hub swap will work, you will need to swedge them. Those drums are very thin on the front face where the hub goes. I'm not sure what would happen if they were "loose" on there. You cab get new aftermarket drums that used a press in stud in the hub, and the drum just slides on...but they are designed to do that. Bad part is they are about 125.00 per drum. I have them on my roadster, they are very nice but spendy.

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. Iv seen drums shear the bolts off and the wheel comes off so be carefull. They should be tight. The guy I got the dash from has loads of brakes/drums he's the one I got the drilled backing plates for the 265b car. I can get a set from him if you would like me to just have to pay the cost to be the boss. Let me know.

Runnin shine likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

How the hell do you swedge those things on there anyway?

9. There is a special tool used to do it. You have to have the correct lug studs as well.

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm trying but it hardly shows.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470455596.641574.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470455606.881000.jpg
    Tacked these on after some more modification. I won't be able to finish them until Sunday. I was going to pull the axle out and flip it over to get these guys laid out nice... Then some Zeka bit..es rolled up in my garage. No reason to fight off mosquito death for two shock mounts.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470626159.912802.jpg
    Time for clean up and paint. Next... Cut down drive shaft and torque tube.

slv63, Speedy Canuck and Tim like this.
  12. I need to emulate you and start making steady progress. Things are coming along great!

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Not-so-pretty spray bomb job.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470682479.981637.jpg
    I didn't want to put much effort into this thing. I wasn't going to mess with it at all before having to change the mounts around. My intentions were to slap it in and use it to try to cut back on how long this build is taking. I had planned to run it for like a year or so and get around to freshening it up inside and change the 3:78 for 3:54s. It is "supposed to" not have much time since its last overhaul. It feels great but I'm still just trusting a HAMB'r on this one, oh well.
    Keep moving forward.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    dumprat, Tim and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

First thanks for your " beer goggle"esc compliments.
    You need to read @The37Kid 's new thread Stalled or slow builds:
    I was going to post there on this topic but can't seem to self edit something that doesn't hog the ball so to speak.
    I am completely dissatisfied with my progress. It is not at all from a lack of motivation but it is what it is. I try to do at least one thing on it a day even if it's tiny just to know I'm not going backwards. I still after several years can't get my head around that I'm not the young single guy with friends that could work on a project straight through to finished. That usually meant long nights and even being late for the real job. Those days are long gone and I miss them. I have a real hard time now getting in and out of the zone. I'm pretty confident this is where my sub-par quality is coming from.
    I hate talking about this sad kinda morbid subject but... The truth is my biggest motivator for working on the car is wanting to have this thing finished so I can share it with my Gramps anyway possible. My biggest fear is maybe only driving it to his funeral. The reality is he is going on 87, losing his eyesight and lost grandma to the big C three years ago so now drinks bottles of red wine nightly to pass the days. He is a wonderful man but won't be here forever. A distant second to this is me wanting this car done for myself then third is sharing with my family and others.

jerseyboy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. You should post exactly that. I don't think it's hogging the ball, I think it's just plain honest. I still live in a world where honesty is a key component, whether you're Canadian, US, Mexican or whatever.
    And while some (most) would say I'm still pretty young, I miss the days of grinding out all night to finish a project, just to go into work bleary eyed the next day.
    As for your grandpa, I understand that pain. It's a tough subject to deal with, let alone share, and I appreciate that. Stay the course, and I know things will work out as they should. My grandpa is 87 as well, and I wish I had spent more time with him and listening to him as a kid. Heck, I wish I had more time to spend with him now. Life gets in the way, beats you up and bogs you down.

As far as beer googles go, I've been stone sober looking at these pictures, and I still stand by my comments. Things look great!

Runnin shine likes this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Keep at er Shine. We are pullin for ya.

17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Shine,
    I understand where your coming from. I have been working on my wagon for 10+ years now, and want to get it done so my dad can take a ride. He is 86 and I just gotta get it done! That's him and me, in my avatar, on the running boards in '67.

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ok I promise this is the last pics of the rear axle directly concerning the alterations. They're for the one or two Hubba Hubba junkies out there. Time to move on.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470713568.453389.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470713580.033075.jpg
    Oh astute viewers will see in the background I filled the holes on my front 40 backing plates tonight to fit them to my 32 spindles.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good!

None of us are getting any younger and it seems every ones always busy with life .

Might be an idea to get ahold of a handful of friends and have a scheduled thrash and grill day.

Should make progress and at worse at least raise moral?

I think once you see it on all four you'll feel some momentum. We're all here with ya :)

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  20. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Haven't looked at this thread since before I left for Florida a while back. I thought you made a lot of progress. Should be on wheels soon! That will be a big boost for you! It was for me.
    Had to laugh about the rusted garage door. I had the same problem. Cleaned it off with toilet bowl cleaner. Worked great! Just noticed the other day it needs it again. Sigh......

Runnin shine likes this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Although these backing plates are fighting me every step of the way... Damn!
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have the 3/8" bolts and castle nuts, I'll get some tomorrow, and have to re-paint the black. The spindles I don't plan on getting them chromed until I'm doing the bodywork.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Damn that sure is "shiny" when ya gonna get the "runnin" gear in it? Ba boom tsch!

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Matt I will put the mock up block and the trans in soon but I'm not having the machine work done to the real engine until winter.
    Oh and I won't use the stupid piston ring backing plate adapters again that's for sure, you told me so. Mine are a notched or grooved type ring and they're pretty much impossible to keep in the damn backing plates.

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

If you look back to tech week this spring I showed a design of some machined discs that also pick up the bolt holes. They weld on inside. I think they are better.

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I was going to get them from Dennis Lacey but took the cheap road cause I'm broke but trying to keep goin.

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I just made some on the lathe to fit. I am not sure what Dennis's look like.

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well in laymen terms it's basically a big machined washer with a inner lip that simulates the "piston ring" and the four holes in proper 3/8" size and location.
    I just didn't bother with them once I started to get a notion that they are probably expensive. I still need the Torrington bearings for my kingpins too. I'm trying to source these myself. I don't seem to have the pedigree to get into the country club type parts that are made by people who make a living off of selling this stuff. Hell I think junk speedway sh.. is way too much! An example would be the 25$ brake drum safety catches. I'll clearly be making these myself thank you.

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I got the bearings from the local supplier. They were cheap.

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Another fake pic like I actually have a 32 in the garage
    [​IMG]
    I mean in the mess.

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

A lot of curse words be slung around here today. I was going to get a new chrome tie rod. But my shackles hang low enough up front that when making a tight turn the two will meet in disagreement. So I tried to heat and bend an old one I had. I don't want to experiment with a brand new one and botch it up. Well it didn't work out and I kinked it at the first bend I made. Back to the drawing board. I don't want to have a bent tie rod but more so I do not want to bend the spindles down another 1" plus. So I shifted gears like I often do and painted the bottom half of my the gas tank black.
    [​IMG]
    I know boring stuff.
    Then I played with the stupid stainless geny cover I got since I'm having no luck with a old chrome generator. This will have to tide me over till that day. These things look horrible but I took steel wool to it to hide its stainless finish which is not very polished. This seems to help blend it in with my old junk and I'll continue to mess with it, no biggie. And damn I need to get the carb risers made!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    slv63 and volvobrynk like this.