Register now to get rid of these ads!

28 Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 51box, Jan 16, 2016.

1. F&J

F&J

looks slick.

Have you tried a gas pedal for room yet, now that you have a seat frame?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks man, I haven't tried a throttle yet. Once I get the steering box mounted the clutch/brake pedals need to go in. Then I figure after that I'll see what room I have for a throttle pedal.

F&J likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

by the way...funny how a recent find works so good...that steering wheel really fits that build to a T

4. What year is that wheel?

5. 51box

51box
    from MA

Wheel is a 47 and column is 55 so I have to cut the top off and weld a taper/key style on.

6. 35chevy

35chevy

Good work... your car looks great! I can't wait to get started on my special coupe soon. I'm sure I will steal some ideas from you! That roof trim piece is a very hard piece to find for a special coupe, have you thought about welding in some flat bar like Fixxxr did, and sell that rare trim piece? [​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 and AHotRod like this.
  7. 51box

51box
    from MA

How much money would you pay for it? Making a new, correct looking belt line is ALOT of work.

8. CadTech

CadTech

your top work is awesome, i'm in the process of a special coupe build as well and will be doing a "standard" type conversion too. thanks for the inspiration!

9. 35chevy

35chevy

I'm not really sure if I'm going to need it, since I am torn between leaving my car a special coupe and putting a solid roof on it. From my point of view, if I weld a solid roof in, it would be nice to have the belt line welded in as well. If I decide to go with a solid roof on my car, I'm sure that's the route I will take. It will be a lot of work, but I feel like it would be worth it for me. Then again, I don't have that trim piece anyway, so I don't have the option to use it. I have noticed there are a lot of people like me who are missing that part. Keep the pics coming! It looks great!

10. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

What did you do to that horn ring to clean it up like that, very nice. I like your whole build. I'm working on a 29 roadster at the present, although I'm at a standstill until the painter gets off his ass.. Like you, I can't wait until I can get it on the road. Good luck with the project.

Bill

11. Thanks for the info. I like the looks of that wheel and horn ring.

12. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks man, good luck on your search for roof pieces. They seem to be very hard to even find from my time looking.

13. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks for the good words. The horn ring I disassembled it and used steel wool with coarse compound till all the rust was gone. Then I hit with lacquer thinner, then NeverDull and hand polish. On the gold center piece I cleaned with soapy water then hand polished with NeverDull

14. 51box

51box
    from MA

Got the windshield fitted, basically just recut the angles and drilled new holes etc. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Had to tweak the new header around to get the bind out. Hinges out nice now.

Made up this 32 looking flange for the F100 box. image.jpeg Committed now, hope this all plays together in the end . image.jpeg

15. 51box

51box
    from MA

On the steering box flange, I tried a couple different filler rods but ended up using some er70 in the end. Did a pre/post heat with a propane torch. I probably went over board with the weld but It just didn't look strong with 1 pass image.jpeg image.jpeg Rebuilt the box and then spliced on the taper/key style shaft. image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. 51box

51box
    from MA

Ended up using the lower half of the f100 tube cause it had no holes and the upper bell from the 47. image.jpeg image.jpeg

kidcampbell71, brEad and Aaron D. like this.
  17. 51box

51box
    from MA

18. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

just found this, great build. Is the frame stock 32 width or is it pinched at the cowl?

19. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks man, the rails are not pinched but I did narrow the overall width of the frame to better work with the body.

20. 51box

51box
    from MA

Got the shocks figured out, the upper mount is I think a 50's Chrysler image.jpeg Mounted the wishbones and started fitting the pitman arm. image.jpeg Bent up the steering arms so I could put the tie rod in etc. image.jpeg Shes a steering roller, feels damn good! image.jpeg

21. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Very nice job.

22. Yea, nice stuff indeed.

23. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks guys, picking away
    The drag link angle was kind of steep so I reshaped the hoop this morning, hopefully will work good. image.jpeg Very sturdy now image.jpeg

24. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

25. 51box

51box
    from MA

Been slow the last couple months but I'm back rolling on the 32 sub rail reshape and floor. IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0243.JPG A little wiggly, but it's super strong.

These sub rail pieces, I basically took 2x3, 1/8" steel and heated, formed it to the frame before welding in. IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0233.JPG

Also picked up a 36 dash and got it welded to the stock dash and ends reshaped to fit etc. IMG_0236.JPG

And lastly, made up this hammer to hopefully get the shape back I need on the roof. It works great so far but man it gets heavy quick. IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0240.JPG

So that's it for now, I hope to get the floor completed within a couple weeks.

26. 51box

51box
    from MA

27. greaser

greaser

This thread is one of my favorites on the HAMB. Just a great job!!

28. jetdocmodelA

jetdocmodelA

Nice build. I searched for a year and finally found a roof to bolt on my 28 special coupe. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jeff.l.hecht and bct like this.
  29. WOW i follow your tread bud

fantastic work

30. hasty

hasty

Beautiful work.
    Is that the final stance?