Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Unbelievable grove find (32 Vicky)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WØZZY, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Gee, that farmer sounds obstinate, headstrong, willful, strong-willed, pigheaded, obdurate, difficult, contrary, recalcitrant, inflexible, iron-willed, uncompromising, unbending; stiff-necked, bloody-minded, balky; perrtinacious, refractory, contumacious.

Hmmmm, I'm sure glad there aren't a whole lotta people like that here!

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

3. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Like 25 louver hoods, they aren't what they use to be. Alumicraft is now re-poping them fully polished for $ 2795.

4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I'll bet he's a great guy after a few drinks. Now there's an idea. When you go over there next time bring him a pint of Jim Beam and maybe some of that great Kentucky bourbon will loosen him up a little....

clunker likes this.
  5. Ah shit. I hate this thread.

Blue One, Bam.inc, mrspeedyt and 2 others like this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You guys throwing out numbers and values based on a single pic...need to remember .. . It's been in the elements in minnesota since the 50s, not a barn ,and not in Arizona ... AND been sitting in vegitation I'm guessing a shit load of rust repair ... The lower half of that supposed 10k grill is probably rusted clean off..

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WØZZY thanks for those great shots...front row seats from my Hamb vantage point. Membership has its privilages...Truly a treat.

Looks to be very dry there. Oh not that dry...:(...regardless hopefully the fellow will let her go to a good home.

That must have made the jaw drop a little...actually was there must be a small furrow left that you may have had to be careful not to trip over.

Hope it sees a resurrection...soon right here...;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  8. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

You're not wrong. The frame is in the mud and it hasn't been moved in over half a century. It would likely be a $20k grill by the time it was restored.

9. Lot of talk about the value of a Pines Winterfront grille. The trick is finding someone to pay such an outrageous price for one. Kind of like watching Antiques Roadshow.....you can put whatever value you want on something but if you can't find Daddy Bigbucks then its worth only what you can get for it.

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I think it really depends on the ph of the soil but the constant moisture of leaves tree sap and I'm sure cats pissing all over it is not doing it any favors 11k was a reasonable start , for somrthing sitting in the tree line waiting to erode back to the earth

11. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I've saved worse.

cactus1 likes this.
  12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Or, hit him over the head with it....

Surfcityrocker and falcongeorge like this.
  13. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

There is a limit on what can be paid for an old grille, or a Vicky. There are enough talented metalshapers around that a perfect copy could be made to fool even the most discerning collector, given enough money but less than an original. Your time is worth something too. If you waited 20 years for this guy to sell the Vicky, you could have bought a brand new steel body with no rust; coupe, roadster, or custom bent Vicky and been done with it. The only thing missing is the story. After 50 years, he probably (speculation) can't find the title nor prove that he has the right to sell it under the law. I come across this all the time....I just pass.

14. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

It's nice to get back to earth again. I mean in regard to the price, not the frame of the car. I didn't press the issue because $11k sounded ridiculous to me at the time, even though I knew that it had 32 heads and that a Vicky made of Henry's steel is a diamond in the rough. $11k is a pretty good chunk of change to me, especially knowing that it's just a small down payment on the rest of the project.

But, time will tell. Maybe he'll call, or maybe he'll get sick of me dropping by.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

That Vicky is more than a pile of tin to the owner, there has to be a story that goes with it, family member died, or never returned from a war, it is a link to his past. When he is gone it may see a new caretaker. Bob

kiwijeff and clunker like this.
  16. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

It's on his family farm and it's been there for as long as he can remember. So yes, it definitely has sentimental reasons for being the way it is.

It also tells a lot about the title situation. I'm not sure how the MN DMV handles stuff like that. I would probably try filing for a title before even moving it.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

It just gets so old reading about the value of a title, so glad I live in Connecticut were we don't need one. Bob

F&J likes this.
  18. My 2 cents, I think if we knew the whole story of this car, it may make more sense to us. Sentiment, or maybe the car is not totally legal for him to sell. Could be worried about a questionable paper trail. As it setting out side in the grove, that's hard for us to understand. But if was an old ford, one year earlier we wouldn't be talking about this for three pages. I hope that cool old Vicky will be saved. And I'm sure that it will be. I also hope that we will here the rest of the story. Well I need to get back to my Google Earth search now. lol Ron...

The37Kid likes this.
  19. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

If you can find one. A couple of concourse restored ones sold for around $10,000 in Ca. I think that one is probably worth 5-7 grand if the bottom is not rusted out and it is complete. Yes, just a regular hood. The repop winter fronts are not like a real ones. Just one opinion.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  20. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

Well in here in Illinois it helps a lot to have one. The State is suspicious.

21. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

22. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It's all speculation until a guy really investigates all the aspects of the car ....at 11k even if its as rusty as I think it is ...I believe there is still fat on the bone , if it were a good southwest desert car easily double that for a good complete builder ..

Just like the grill example "concourse ones have sold for 10k" ok well ,say this one has the bottom 1" rotted off all the grill bars but 90% is still there does not make it worth 9k lots of time and $$ would go into that grill to make it concourse

I have a friend who has done a few "bill of sale titles" in Minnesota and it was fairly ez for him don't be to spooked on the title chances are pretty good the paperwork was lost long ago

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been through this and can back up this statement.

24. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

25. Yeah, same here in Alabama. I read of stories where people scrap out pretty good cars because they can't get a title or its too troublesome. Hell, sell it to someone in a state that doesn't need a title for an old car. We pay just as much for one without a title as one with one because a title is useless to us.

26. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Any pics of the inside WOZZY? Too bad it's been sitting outside and never been moved indoors. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Either step up, or step back.

The37Kid likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cast in bronze those plaques would sell well. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. I have some enclosed storage in Hendricks MN that we can put it in.

30. FlatJan

FlatJan

...ahh a 32vicky with pines winter front rotting in the groves..
    did I wake up this morn' or am I still sleeping/dreaming?