Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst front motor mount,283 in 46 ford question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodyankee, Aug 4, 2016.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Hi, wondering if someone can answer a question for me. Collecting parts for my 46 ford flatty to 283. I have a hurst front motor mount, that I just tried to trial fit to the 283, and found that the mount hits the timing chain cover before it sits flat on the block. Do you have to use spacers between the mount and the block? Thanks, Mike.

2. Look up member Deto on here, he's doing a Chevy but has done lots with the Hurst style mount on his. He posts some great shots of what he makes for the car.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  3. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

I made my own mounts that bolted to the left side and right side of the block. Similar to the Hurst without the center. I used early Ford biscuits frame rail mounted brackets.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

hotrodyankee likes this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Hurst mounts came with spacers when new; used mounts have probably "lost" the spacers. The other issue with the Hurst mount, is you LOSE your fuel pump and have to go with an electric fuel pump. deto's mount has a relief for the fuel pump however. You could probably use LONG spacers, modify the saddle mount to clear the dampener, and keep the stock fuel pump. Check Chassis Engineering, they probably have a better setup of frame/engine mounts than the Hurst style saddle mount. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Johnny Gee and hotrodyankee like this.
  6. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Hi Butch, thanks for the info. I just put my saddle mount on the engine that I am gonna rebuild to see if the fuel pump clears, and it does. Its a stock pump. Then I opened the hood on the 46 to see if the fuel pump would interfere with the crossmember where the cushions sit and looks like it would. Does that sound right?

7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The Hurst mount in my 34 had the spacers and cleared the stock pump. I don't have access to it right now or I could measure the thickness of the spacers for you.

Johnny Gee and hotrodyankee like this.
  8. F&J

F&J

Going back many years, I maybe recall seeing notched crossmember for the pump back then? I don't trust my memory though.

Elect pump might be the way to go, being that modern gas dries up so quick in the carb overnight...or quicker.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

If you have a couple of extra front spring shackles, they work great for the spacers. I doubt if you can use stock fuel pump.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  10. The HURST MT. will work out fine, just space it out. I have run one from the `60's use reg. ram on the right side, an use `67-`72 P/U right ram on the left side to clear steering.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  11. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

You can only space the mount out from the block so far or the harmonic balancer will rub on the mount. Speedways front cradle mount shows it comes with special spacers to move it away from the block.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    hotrodyankee likes this.
  12. deucemac

deucemac

Two or three 3/8 the washers per bolt should do nicely. I have always used an electric fuel pump mounted near the tank and never had a problem. Just remember to use a block off plate or you will mark every spot you stop at but the frame will be well oiled and prevent any new rust from forming!

hotrodyankee likes this.
  13. With the spacer it will clear the pump , but you have to notch the frame.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was lucky with the used Hurst mount I bought. It had the spacer's with it. The spacers are 3/8" thick flat stock type steel that is radiused on the ends.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  15. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

The answer to your question is YES.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  16. I have a hurst mount and discovered it needed spacers, and a friend gave me a pair of mounts he said he bought from CT Auto (I think) in 1962. Two separate pieces, left and right. Just like a hurst but without the center saddle.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  17. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I'm using a hurst mount in my roadster. Here is a straight on pic of it.

[​IMG]

I used spacers so that I could still use a stock fuel pump. They measure about 7/8". I had a machine shop make them from stainless steel.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I used a stock pump on my 1948 Merc, just had to clearance it a bit

hotrodyankee likes this.
  19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

On the Merc I was able to use the stock flathead frame holes...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470434738.793678.jpg

hotrodyankee likes this.
  21. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Thanks to all for all the input and pics, very helpful!

22. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

el scotto, Thanks fo the pics, what are those cushion mounts you have mounted on the frame? Are those stock mercs, they seen to sit high. the fords don't have them.

23. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The rubber insulators are stock FoMoCo style mounts, get 'em at Speedway or NAPA. The metal pieces that bolt to the frame might be stock 1948 Merc stuff, but I'm not sure.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  24. F&J

F&J

watch where you buy the rubber piece. Cheap ones don't have a steel strip around the rubber to act like a girdle.

If no strip, they will flatten out a lot, and fairly soon.

25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I spaced the mount out a 1/2" I think, used a Carter 'corvette' style fuel pump that you can reclock the fuel inlet/outlet to whatever angle you want and had to grind the mount a little bit and it fit great!

Attached Files:

hotrodyankee likes this.
  26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The giant section that was torched out on the front was done by a previous rodder who modified this SBC mount to fit a BBC or 348/409 dump truck engine. I didn't repair it because I thought it might actually aid in hose routing.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  27. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

notch the frame and then box in the notch for a mech fuel pump

hotrodyankee likes this.