Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Are you still looking for an Auburn dash? I may be way off base, but there's someone selling what looks like an aluminium copy in the Parts For Sale Forum. I'm not sure if it is the right one, if it's genuine or even if it's better than the one you've got already, (and it's $140!) but I couldn't know about this without letting you know (I have trouble sleeping at nights already!). Oh yeah, and it doesn't appear to have any holes for the instruments. :rolleyes:

paintslinger805 likes this.
  2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Now that's :). !!!!!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Forgot about these pictures their old news. Dug into my old tool box and found a real cool old red jewel light that I can hook up basically anything too. It's old as dirt so I know it will be fine on this old junk car. What cha y'all think????

4. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

5. that cluster looks great, especially the duplex gauges, just a random suggestion, that vacuum gauge, have you considered moving it to the left of the steering column, tucked up next to the A pillar? reason being that the cluster is the 'champion' piece, and the extra gauge there is a bit of visual distraction, although that's only from my perspective.
    Enjoying the build regardless, keep on keeping on.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

slv63 and paintslinger805 like this.
  6. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Ok, caught out for not doing my homework! Must go back and read all the posts again! (Is there a test at the end?);)

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  7. Hey drewfus , don't worry I just threw in that vac. Gauge for the pics. I have an old brass fuel hand pump that will go on the left side of steering wheel as soon as I can find an old fuel pressure gauge to be with the pump over there. That's how grandpas was. I might put the vac. On right side in dash or not use it at all. I'm also going to pull the black dash and make it look like the rest/rusty car, until I get down and dirty and paint everything. The black looks out of place compared to the rest of the car. I even took out the really nice black firewall and put back the one that came with the body that's crusty and beat up alittle. I figure hey it's the one that the body had so it should stay with the car. It looked out of place with a really nice black dash and firewall. I haven't posted pictures in awile and the dash pics are about a week old, I have a few top secret things going on hypersonic right now and when I'm ready to give y'all a sneak pic, you better be clinching so you don't poo poo yourselfs.:eek::D:D:p

8. DAM!
    Now I have to wait and watch this a little closer than I have been. That means I will have to take the tablet on the road with me in the 3 window. I am headed out for Bonneville the 8th in the 3 window.....It's SPEED WEEK TIME.......Can't wait.
    I sent some goodies to Kevin today and told him if there is anything he does not use to give it to you.

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I keep an eye on this with my I-phone. I ck this and my email through out the day just to keep me in tune ;).

10. Hell Kevin with the old flip phone I have I am lucky if I get a call on it...Got to up grade one of these days, but I keep spending all my $$ on car parts

paintslinger805 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'd say money that was well spent. ;).

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I will say this, thanks to my "smartphone", despite I'm no fan, it got me more projects, I get to see more builds going down, it got me in to more problems then before and got me out even more problems then I get it to with my big mouth and even bigger hammer.

And I even gets up on time, miss fever doctor appointments, dinners with my wife and other "plans" and people can find call every (that's the only thing that is good and bad.
    I don't carry 20-30 small notes of paper in my pocket, because I store is shitload of info in such a small space.

It's the same issue as putting a Hemi in a Model A; its 20 pound of stuff in a 3 finger bag.
    But I feel a little embarrassed that I have a smartphone, but I avoid to talk to people about. It also make it possible to fuel my HAMB addiction, on the road.

But that is way OT, and I just wants to say I like the dash in there!!

13. Is say the dash looks great for 200 bucks. I almost like it better than an auburn.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

X2 to 2 previous posts

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

X3 on the dash....

16. The more I look at it the more I am in agreement with you guys....It is bad ass!

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

X4; nice touch with the gauge panel.

18. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Yup, love the dash!

19. Looks like everyone likes it Bruce, so you just might have to leave it in. Whats Gramps think of it?

20. There is a HAMBer on here with the sig-line of "I spent most of my money on hotrods, whiskey and women, the rest I just wasted."

21. I like the dash - and back in the day, if an Auburn cost anywhere near what it does today (almost 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a good engine), nobody would run one. Keep the dash!

22. Yea dash is done. I'm putting money into the motor and forgetting about an auburn. With as little as iv spent on this hole car the motor has been the most money. If I was to just buy an auburn off eBay for 3999 like the 2-3 that are in there for sale that would put me over 20,000$ and without the auburn dash I will be around 17-18 thousand. With all the parts iv sold in pomona and the hamb to put money back in my pocket I won't have 20000 into by the time I'm done. I will have over 8000 in the motor alone so shhhhhh don't tell my wife. Did I forget to tell y'all I'm building a REAL hotrod with one hell of a hotrod motor.:D Damn flattys are expensive. When their done right.........

Drewfus, birdog and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

A running and driving deuce roadster for under $20Gs...that's pretty f'n impressive. You'd be lucky to hit that target with a cheapo Fiberglas body. JohnnyA

24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear you, Bruce. Auburn dashes are really fine, but they are out there while that dash in the photo looks to be a new direction. Very unique.

25. You are right Johnny I have been very lucky on this car it's crazy because for almost 4 years I couldn't get any help on parts or had any luck finding anything I needed to do this recreation besides some small parts. I basically gave up on it after 4 years and then one day I talked to Kevin, and he made me feel the importance of getting this car done for the history as well as for my grandpa to relive some of his childhood. And that's when I really started hitting the internet and finding parts. I had to weed through the hoarders and find real down to earth guys with good parts for cheap. That's why I like to tell everyone how much I pay. I'm not the kind of guy to be all hush hush about prices. Yea I may have less than 20000 into the car but does that mean it's only worth that. NO and so to me it's priceless but maybe it will help the guys that are about to give up on building a car because it's so much damn money. Just dig deep into that internet and hustle like crazy and build that dream car boyz. Buy cheap parts and sell them high like everyone else does. To get what you want.:D

volvobrynk and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  26. Oh yea and do I win. For the cheapest coolest 32 roadster build. I will be there in alittle while to pick up my trophy.

volvobrynk and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  27. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I must have not been paying attention but what is that gorgeous dash out of? It looks great in there.......I have a 5W dash in the '32 3W because like you I don't have a endless supply of money and it was priced right so this dash would look great.

28. Well it's a stewert warner dash insert that bell auto parts sold. There was a 4 hole and a 5 hole insert. A hamb member sent me an ad from 1948 that featured these inserts so its from my grandpas time of racing which I think is even cooler. In the ad they say for boats or hotrods. But the boat ones didn't have a mph gauges so I'm pretty sure this one was set up for a hotrod. The guy I got it from pulled it out of a 35 ford. Oh and it cost 54.50 with the gauges in the bell catalog in 1948.

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'll take 10 please ;).
    Great Buy Bruce!!!!!!