Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2016 Banger Meet - lots to get ready for ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Note that the crank pulley, alternator and water pump pulley are perfectly lined up. Can't address the fan clearance for obvious reasons.

2. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

All Model A Water Pumps are the same length
    32 B model same as model A
    33/34 B model shorter due to racking the radiator back crank pulley was also shorter and generator was moved

Dannerr and 29 Speedster like this.
  3. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

checking in where did july go !

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

While you guys are looking for my old Riley 4Port in California, has anyone seen this old Louie Senter dirt car? I think the photo dates back to 1952, I'd really like to find the frame, body, axles, ANYTHING. PM me any contact info you may have on Mr. Senter. Bob

upload_2016-8-4_20-53-31.png

cactus1 likes this.
  5. In the morning I will be picking up my doors with the hand painted race numbers for Pismo's 1st annual T.R.O.G.
    I just wanted to share the photos, my artist friend sent me!
    Joe
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

He did a beautiful job on them Joe. Cant wait to see what they look like on it. Bob.............

Old Dawg and 530sandman like this.
  7. Thanks bob,
    I plan to put them on when I get them home and take the windshield off, put the race tarp on and take it out to my favorite brick building to get the photo that's requested to be in T.R.O.G. book.
    Thanks for the complement, I will pass that on to my artist buddy Dustin Gall.
    Thanks,
    Joe

ROCKER77 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice looking numbers! Here is a list of some SCTA numbers, drivers and speeds from October 1947. Bob DSCF3801.JPG

Old Dawg and 530sandman like this.
  9. Man! Those numbers REALLY pop! Good job, to be sure!

10. That adaptor is to use the V8 pump which is much shorter than the "A,B" pumps.
    Don't ask me which V8 pump. I have seen too many different ones. Look for something with an improved impeller.

John

11. Man-Oh-Man! This IS a list of "Who's Who" in racing and fabrication. One can't name them all; but here are some that stand out to me: Some of the guys that ended up at Shelby (by way of Reventlow; Phil Remington, George Boskoff, Frank Coon (sans Jim "Crabby" Travers) and Chuck Daigh. Jack McAfee became an international race driver. Bill Burke kept at LSR for decades. And Doane Spencer built and restored many beautiful cars. And the list goes on.
    Thanks for the post, Bob

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

That's a Harry Fryer V-8 water pump with the ceramic impeller.

13. Thanks Bob, That's something I'm gonna copy and keep forever!
    Joe

Thanks Old Dawg,
    It really does pop! I can't wait to get them doors back on the car!
    I will post pictures of it with the doors on, windshield off, the tarp on! But I'm not taking off the headlights until a couple days before the race. (might wanna go on a night cruise!) The rules say, no headlights!
    Thanks again,
    Joe

14. Thanks, I was tripped up by the shorter Model B pump in later years. Trying to look stock while running a complete Simmons set up. The sort of thing that only guys who know what they are looking at will notice.

15. I Asked this in June but there was a better discussion going on and I got no response. Anyone running headers on an updraft set-up? I know reds has a header for it.

16. Hi fellow Banger Hot Rodders,
    I got the doors back on with the painted race numbers, taken the headlights off and put the tarp on, ect!
    Now I need to pick a picture to send in for the T.R.O.G. program book, as a 2016 exclusive racer. The pictures are due by August 31st . One of just the car and one of just my face with race gear on. Must be vintage race helmet! No 60's style open face glitter helmets! (Still waiting for the EARLY SPRINT CAR HELMET ROMOR-HELM I bought from a fellow H.A.M.B. er)
    Any help on what picture to pick, of the car from the (3) would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Joe
    (1)[​IMG]
    (2)[​IMG]
    (3)[​IMG]

Old Dawg, Scott Mannion and ROCKER77 like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking car, I vote for photo #2, the view the competition will see. Bob

18. Thanks,
    That's what I'm hoping for!

19. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I vote for #3, would look good black and white, old school :)

20. I was thinking the same thing, Then the competition can see the rear during the race! Ha Ha!:D

waxhead likes this.
  21. noboD

noboD

Lining up pulleys is easy. Take a piece of string long enough to reach from outside to outside of both pulleys. When the string touches all four contacts points they are lined up.

22. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Car looks bad looking Joe . #3 for me. Bob..............

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wondering what the general opinion is on the Flathead Ted's Model A Ford mechanical brake upgrade ? Stock Banger project, just wondering how good this upgrade is. Bob

24. Reddy

Reddy

HI, Bangers
    I need help, I'm looking to buy 2 sets of quick change gears for my Halibrand 101 H. the set I'm looking for
    are gear set 3 and set 5. I can get Winters gears, but I looking for some old Halibrands and they are the 1" gears
    Thank you for your help, Mike

25. RussTee

RussTee

They work extremly well for me made sure everything else was OK at the same time why go to hydrolics

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks RussTee, do you think the old woven lining vs the new soft bonded type makes any difference? Bob

27. RussTee

RussTee

Bonded ones are a long way better and more reliable bed in far better to in a shorter time
    new cast iron drums help as well as do new rods the old ones are often streached and cut and welded go through the whole system and replace all the pins little wear here and there all multiplys

Dannerr likes this.
  28. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Bob I also would go with soft bonded (pale grey color) about the same grip and easier to arch to your drums
    Teds floater work great put them on an A model which could lock the wheels any time with stock wheels until I up graded the wheels to wider 36 wires then I needed Teds floaters to be able to match the improved grip of the bigger tyres

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The first aluminum block ready to machine.

Attached Files:

Dannerr, TWSTR, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  30. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I also upgraded to these, work really well. I can also easily lock up all 4 wheels with Ted's floaters. Based on my experience I would recommend them.