Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1955-1959 Chevy Rear End Shackles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Aug 3, 2016.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

Hey guys,

I am trying to raise the rear end of my 1959 Chevy Apache and was wondering if anyone has done that?

I was looking for some air shocks and was not lucky enough to find any that would fit the pickup. As of right now, Gabriel Hi-Jackers don't have enough overall length to be comparable with stock shocks (missing about 4" of travel).

I also looked at a couple other options, but was wondering if anyone tried a set of shackles? I have a rear sway bar on the rearend, so I don't know how a set of shackles would effect the mounting of it (If I have to move the mount location for the new ride heighth). I am only looking to get about 1-2 inches of height out of the rear end.

I looked at removing stuff off of the front end, but also have a front sway bar and limited room to work with because of power steering components, sway bar, etc. So I am not sure that removing a leaf from the front end would work too well.

Thanks for the help in advance!

1959 Chevy Apache.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

easiest way would be if you could find some lowering blocks and U bolts, for 2" wide springs (with square top U bolts, instead of round). Since the truck axle is below the springs, if you put blocks in, it will raise it. Using shackles would screw up the driveline angle, and also the shackles on these use metal threaded bushings, not the more modern rubber type.

henryj1951 likes this.
  3. belair

belair

Lower the front instead.

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

1956.jpg
    its what i did once...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016