Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Paint color suggestions 1950 buick 2 dr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tcmarsh1, Jul 29, 2016.

1. tcmarsh1

tcmarsh1
    from Scottsdale

Hello all i am looking for paint suggestions for my 2 dr jetback. I was thinking a blue or purple shade. Any suggestions. BUICK.jpg BUICK BACK.jpg

2. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

That would look great in black cherry...

[​IMG]

low budget and michael knight like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what all are you doing to it? modify or restoration? what color interior?

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The Joker asks a good question. What's your plan?? Stock, Hot Rod, Custom?? What's your favorite color(s)?? Do you like pearls, candies, metallics? Do you like bright colors, dark colors? Do you want your car to stand out or blend in?? See, you need to be more specific.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That black cherry reminds me of a 1969 Pontiac burgundy color. Back in the seventies I painted several cars that color including a VW beetle and they all looked good. It was kind of a 'go to' color for a while, don't know why we stopped using it. It seems especially flattering on rounded shapely cars.

6. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

super dark anything...

7. Ding, Ding, Ding Chicken Dinner.

8. tcmarsh1

tcmarsh1
    from Scottsdale

I like the dark colors. the Black cherry looks awesome. It could look cool with a more purple base. I am still working out the interior in my mind. I plan on keeping the straight 8 for now. The owners before me took off a lot of the chrome trim. My profile pic is the original color i had it in. The factory color was black. It has a grey interior now. I was thinking a black interior to match the black dash or possibly white. I am switching to 12 v adding some modern creature comforts. I like the blues and purples a lot. I think a bright color would be too much on a car this large. Down the road i plan to switch out the engine possibly.

9. tcmarsh1

tcmarsh1
    from Scottsdale

This is awesome by the way. I am actually up in carefree, az

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Look up GM paint code WA3307 Pontiac Burgundy, Burgundy Mist, AKA Chevrolet Madeira Maroon if you want a stock, easy to get color.

This pic does not do it justice, it has a darker richer look in person.

[​IMG]

11. indyjps

indyjps

Drive thru some new car lots. There are a lot of medium to dark blues with purple pearl if you want a factory color.
    I was looking at dark blues at PPG store recently with only blue pearl, no purple or red, so many choices my head was spinning.

If you want dramatic color shift, it'll be custom. Maybe black or navy base with purple pearl. Do some spray outs or choose a painter and they can work with their paint system.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Can't get any more Buick than Titian Red...I believe it's a 1954 color....many early Kustoms and hot rods were painted that color...

Attached Files:

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Check out '56 Dodge "Royal Blue Metallic" ... they can duplicate it in modern paint.

14. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Here are two colors. I wish I stilled owned either of these but ya can't keep everything.

Attached Files:

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or Terrace Green. Buick had a lot of great colours in the early fifties. Sorry, I am on my kids iPad, don't know how to post photos or links on here.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

17. Here are a few sophisticated dark colors that might look good on your Buick's big curves:
    burple 36 3w 02.jpg green merc 02 other.jpg polynesian 03.jpg Violet 01.jpg 56 chev 02.jpg 100_0871.jpg crimson 01.jpg scallops 01.JPG

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is the color, right.

[​IMG]

Fadi and Just Gary like this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I can't see it.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Try the link in my post #17 George.
    I have had this happen before, photo transfers are locked sometimes.

22. LONG

LONG

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That is it, but those photos are under fluorescent lights, it looks WAY different in daylight. Those pics look awful!

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry, I found a nice daylight pic that shows what the colour looks like, but I am using my daughter iPad, I can't figure out how to do anything on this stupid thing....

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Midnight Green. I had an OT Nova I painted with this color back in the early 70's. It is beautiful in the sunlight, and looks black at night. Image stolen from the internet, but it's the same color. Sam-barris-1949-mercury10.jpg

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everybody has 1 favorite hue from the spectrum. Start there would be my 1st and best advice. Where most fail is in the final formula. Early metallic and custom (kustom) hues used very small poly or flake. Time marched on to bigger flakes in the very late 60s to early 70s as found in Cadillac's "Firemist" versions. Later the custom paint sector got really wild and the big flakes took off beyond gel coat. It was rare to see something within a reasonable HAMB timeline that was huge flake or larger metallic particles. So all of that behind us you mentioned blues, maybe leaning toward the border of red for a violet shade maybe? Then it should be easy and user (wallet) friendly as well, yes?
    HOK has a KBC line (Kandy Basecoat) that does really fun tricks over different base colors. It's very reasonable in price as well and a little goes a long way. Have your finisher (or you?) experiment with the number of top coats and be sure to clear each because the clear wakes the color up. "Ok kool, but what color!?" is probably going through your mind(s). I'd recommend KBC05 "Cobalt Blue" over a dark red tone. Make sure it's pure, not a brown shade of maroon or it will look like mud. HOK also has several solid red base colors that have a clean look to them even in dark shades. Over white, no matter which red base you pick, to keep the red "clean". My mind's eye sees something like this more blue than purple, closer to violet. Apply that KBC05 over black, silver, dark blue? Not much as pretty or with such a small flake/pearl to keep things looking period. Hey, you asked...

tcmarsh1 and dan31 like this.
  27. Any other colors than red, purple and green ? :)

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Coffee brown with a fine metallic...

29. tcmarsh1

tcmarsh1
    from Scottsdale

Thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks highlander for the write up. I am thinking more of the violet side where it's black at night but you see the dark purple/ violet in the day.