Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Great story here. I would love to have my first car back but I sold it disassembled which I know is a kiss of death. Love the superimposed photo.

Hapydz likes this.
  2. Made a "Hot Rod Parts Run"into Mn yesterday to pick up the distributor, mentioned a few posts back. It is hard to believe that it is refurbished, as it is as beautiful as the picture I posted from the eBay auction. As I was picking it up, I heard the lady at the counter ask for a John Massaro.... On the way out I asked the fellow if he might be related to a Bunny Massaro. As it turns it John is his son and he does see him every day. I mentioned that I had been trying to meet with his dad to find out about the '32 and maybe he could get his dad to call me.....We shall see if this helps. Small world ! Ron

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That over laid generational photo is one of my favorite pics of all time. Great story!

Hapydz likes this.
  4. Even though I'm not ready to do very much on the '32 just yet, I can't help pecking away at it a bit. I did some work getting the relocated, existing front cross member, ready to be removed to be replaced with a new one from the So-Cal Speed Shop. We sure are lucky to be able get '32 parts with a tap of a couple of keys !!! Ron Cross Member 2.jpg

JP55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Not too much to report these days due to the '39 taking up most of the shop as Shaun gets her ready for her new coat of BLACK paint. (Did I mention that I'm a sucker for BLACK paint...LOL .) Anyway We made a "Hot Rod Parts Run" into Minnesota today to pick up a pair of '32 cowl patch panels from Howell's Sheet Metal (via eBay). Haven't tried the fit yet but they sure look great !!! Ron Patch Panels Cowl.jpg

oliver westlund and JP55 like this.
  6. 34Larry

34Larry

What a find and such a great story. Congrats.

Hapydz likes this.
  7. I started this thread on May 16/ 2013....How time flies !!!! I don't have anything new to report today regarding the '32 but I can tell you that Shaun has been busy getting the '39 close to paint . Once this is done, I will explode the '32 apart so that I can start on the frame and all that neat fabricating stuff. Thanks for following along and offering up your great remarks ! 1st 32 front.jpg

8. Made yet another Hot Rod Parts Run south of the border on this "picture perfect day". Picked up another pair of Howell's patch panels . They sure do make a nice product ! These ones will fix a bit of rust out behind the door and in front of the rear wheel well on the passenger side......Ron 32 ford rear quarter patch panels.jpg

JP55 likes this.
  9. Well, guess where I went today........Yup, another Hot Rod Parts Trip into beautiful Mn. to pick up a Trans Dapt plate to hook up the PBO tranny to the Vortec engine. Not much to report but it is hard to get stuff past the kitchen window for both the '32 and the '39. The '39 should be painted and on the road once again, by the end of June....YaHoooooo.....Ron
    TRANS DAPT.jpg

JP55, kidcampbell71 and Dick Stevens like this.
  10. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

There's not 1 in 10,000 that have a KOOL Story like that........what a Blessing...........

Denns1989 and Hapydz like this.
  11. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Keeping it in the Family.....we understand that.
    [​IMG]

Bob

JP55 and Hapydz like this.
  12. Shaun 2.JPG Previously, I had mentioned Priority One, which was getting the '39 ready for paint. Well Friday evening, my good friend Shaun beautifully took care of that. Now I have to get it back together so that I can get the '32 out of the corner and into it's work spot in my little shop.....Ron 39 PD 3.jpg View attachment 3242829

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  13. Oh brother does that coupe pitch black. Too dang' sweet. Congratulations.

Hapydz likes this.
  14. Posies.jpg Just got back from "The Weekend Of Wheels" in beautiful Grand Rapids, Mn and look what was waiting at Rydens Border Store for me..... I'm going to use the parallel rear spring package on the '32. The '39 should be finished very soon now and I will be able to give the '32 some needed attention......Stay tuned...:)

chriseakin, JP55 and Runnin shine like this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good to hear that you are going to get going on the 32, however I will have to say that I don't like a parallel rear spring setup on a 32 no matter who makes it.

A transverse spring is the best at least I think so.

Runnin shine likes this.
  16. Blue, A friend of my who has built several rods raved about the ride with this package he installed on his '32. My '32 will be full fendered so it won't be a visual .distraction . Was it the ride you didn't like ? I used a similar set up on my '39 (Chas'sis Eng. I think) and am very happy with the ride . What did Ricky Nelson say...Can't please everyone..........

chriseakin likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that its the aesthetics of it more so than the ride.

I just like to look under and see a traditional buggy spring even on a full fendered 5 window.
    My favorite 32 by the way.

I've ridden in a buggy sprung car and was impressed by the ride.
    Nothing like a Cadillac :D but we aren't going for that in a deuce anyway :)

18. We as Hot Rodders, are sure fixed in what we like and don't like and I guess that is a very good thing ! Sure as hell beats being indifferent ! Thanks for taking the time Blue, to contribute to this thread !

JP55 likes this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Oddly enough I am using coil overs on the rear of my RPU.
    Try as I might I just can't seem to figure out a transverse rear spring setup with the suspension design I am using and the way I have run my exhaust system.

20. Coil overs were under the T Coupe that took me forever to build, many years ago.... T Jag Diff.jpg

21. I finally drove the '39 out of the little shop yesterday...Itching to move the '32 around to the work bay....getting closer...:D Hapy 9.jpg

22. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

WOW!!!

Black IS Black

Bob

Hapydz likes this.
  23. Yowza, that body is laser straight!

Hapydz likes this.
  24. 1st 32 1.jpg OK experts... How would you go about repairing the damage to the belt line on the passenger door ? Would you beat it out from the back side or pull it out from the exterior ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. The 39 sure looks good. Great work all around.

Hapydz likes this.
  26. I sure am loving this look ! Perfect 32 Tudor.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. Made a Hot Rod Parts Run into beautiful Minnesota today and what a beautiful day it was on the North Shore of Lake Superior ! Picked up a couple of tools to help remove that dent in the passenger door belt line.A profile duplicator, for the backing buck I have to make and a set of spot weld cutters for the back panel removal...... I will let you know how that works out ....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  28. Sounds like you are taking the right approach, even though it will be more complicated than using a slide
    pull bar because of the inner door panel.
    I'm curious about the "profile duplicator", as I have a similar crease on the left side belt line of my coupe;
    however, its under the quarter window, not the door. The backing buck should be a good method to avoid
    stretching the sheetmetal unnecessarily.

29. I picked up this on eBay....looks like a great way to duplicate the belt line contour. profiler.jpg

oliver westlund and chriseakin like this.
  30. I will make the pattern of the belt line contour and duplicate it several times onto some 1/4" thick hardwood. These will be glued and bolted together to make a buck about 6" long. I might have to add some weight (mass) to the back side of it. Anyway, if it all works as I hope it will, I will post a picture.....:rolleyes: