Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 CHEVY SOUTHEAST GASSERS BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zak Hall, May 11, 2015.

1. Always something with these cars. The clutch pedal slides on a tube inside a tube - make sure you keep that greased :(. It was keeping the clutch from releasing completely - made for some weird launches. One run it would stand straight up in 1st and 2nd and the next run it wouldn't wheelie at all. Amazing how much affect a little clutch slip will make.

Zak Hall likes this.
  2. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Got the car out again and did some more testing. Still hasn't broke so that's good. lol. No videos this time, but seems pretty peppy. We dropped the ladder bars down a hole, so it should hook pretty hard. Also my buddy painted his panel truck over the weekend, and had over half a gallon of this green paint left over that he gave me, so I guess my car is gonna end up this mint green color. Gonna use gloss clear instead of flat clear though.

Attached Files:

hechtspeed and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Seen your car featured on the SEG Facebook page. That mint green should look pretty good on there, doesn't look too far off from the factory 57 Surf Green.

Zak Hall likes this.
  4. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yeah Quain did an awesome post about me on fb. I thought it was pretty close to surf green too.

5. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Paint can wait but I think you need headlights to pass Quainspetion. They don't have to be operational but in there. Don't won't to get there and be disappointed.

6. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yeah I'm gonna put head lights in it before Montgomery.

Higgy's Henry likes this.
  7. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Made it down to Knoxville with the car today so we could test it out. Rained the testing out, so we'll see what it does tomorrow. But the car is at the track, and well be trying to go A to B tomorrow!

Attached Files:

8. The mint green with black lettering/accents could look period correct. Good luck at the track!

Zak Hall likes this.
  9. Good luck, hope all goes well with the testing

Zak Hall likes this.
  10. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yesterday was a success! Made it down the track, car worked well, didn't have any bad habits. Had a really great time, dad loved it. Felt bad for Tim Bailey in the alley cat for breaking, but felt good winning first round. Couldn't believe all the people that was coming through the pits talking about how they remembered this type of racing from their childhood in the 60s and how it was then, and I realize why Quain is strict on the rules now. The fans notice when something isn't right, but they also notice how correct the SEG is overall. Was talking to a guy from Connecticut 15 minutes or so that is starting to build a car, and he doesn't wanna run with the gasser class around him because theyre not right. He wants to run with the SEG because the cars are right and its how it was in the 60s.

Attached Files:

11. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

And we thought we'd hurt 3rd gear on the second qualifing pass, and was gonna put it up before first round, but Quain told us to just drive it down the track, and we might get lucky. He was right, and we figured out the clutch adjusting rod had come loose, and I had 2 and a half inches of toe pedal. Dad adjusted the clutch before 2nd round, and it went in every gear no problem.

12. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Great to hear!!

Zak Hall likes this.
  13. Great to meet you and your dad Zach car is looking really good can't wait to see the finnished product.

sonic03bluegt and Zak Hall like this.
  14. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks Jeff, had a great time. Good to finally meet you. Hopefully we'll get to hang out again, preferably with your skairlane at the track with you!

15. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Figured out my carb issues, only thing that was wrong with them was that the floats were to high. So the flat spot in the 60ft should be gone. We bounced the front wheels at Knoxville, hopefully we'll get a proper wheel stand soon. These guys in C gas are serious, gonna have to find 7 tenths soon so we'll be more competitive.

Attached Files:

16. You bet they're serious. If it was easy, bracket racers would be doing it!

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

That's a good one Robert.
    We don't have a welfare system here. In bracket racing if your not fast enough you can just take shoe polish and change the number and all of the sudden your car is competitive.

18. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

i got a good laugh out of that one Robert. Can't wait to see everyone in this weekend!

Zak Hall and Dog_Patch like this.
  19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Zak Hall likes this.
  20. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Well thanks to our buddy and Southeast Gasser racer Robert Fraiser (hemibert) who brought a few things over today for my car, and also gave me and dad tickets to the thunder valley nationals qualifying today. Got to see Chris The Greek Karamesines run which is really cool, but also walking around at the track I seen a guy with a Southeast Gassers T shirt on which was really cool!

Attached Files:

21. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Did a little testing and tonight to get ready for Darlington, with Robert (Hemibert). Also picked up an enderle injection off racing junk last night for my car. Gonna put it on this winter when we make some changes to the engine.

Attached Files:

Mtn Goat, AHotRod, saltflats and 5 others like this.
  22. We both had a good test, believe it or not. It's not all about the number, sometimes you find your problems before towing 4 or 5 hrs to find them. Time and $$$ saved.

23. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Got the side windows in tonight, gotta put the back glass in tomorrow. Ready to race this weekend in darlington...I hope... Lol. We'll be there with the car, going down the track anyway.

Attached Files:

Mtn Goat, AHotRod, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  24. Looking good Zak! When is everyone planning to get there? Is there a Friday night test n tune?

IMG_3104.JPG

25. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks Tony! I'm not sure if there's a Friday night test and tune or not. Me and Frasier are gonna get there Saturday. I think Sonee and a few others will be there Friday though.

26. There's some footage of you here Zak - the car was looking good!

brigrat and Zak Hall like this.
  27. Great video. Thanks for posting.

28. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Nice video, and much appreciated!

29. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Great video, Thanks Gary:D