Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOUTHEAST GASSERS "BRAND X" BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMIBERT, Oct 12, 2015.

1. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Fans loved seeing a Mopar! You looked great man--just keep at it
    Quain
    You did a great job! The show put on by the Gassers was just awesome--I can't imagine how much work and effort has gone into getting you all this far --Just wanted to say thanks for helping to make a show like SIM have the vibe that is has--nothing else like it
    AWESOME job Gassers and Quain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Our dragster club wants to be just like you when we grow up!! LOL

loudbang, elgringo71 and Quain Stott like this.
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Dave, It is a lot more time and effort than anyone can imagine. I had to be there Thursday afternoon to get parking marked off for 30 trucks and trailers. That's 540 feet almost 1/8 mile if in a straight line. Then it had to be roped off so Friday morning the other cars wouldn't get in the spaces I had reserved for the gassers. Again 1/8 mile front and rear, over 1/2 mile of caution tape with a stake every 30 feet or so. Then while going to the tower Friday morning to get the driver profiles to the announcer and have a meeting with him I get back and campers had tore down the tape and started filling up the spots. I go to ask them to move only to be told what makes us any better than them to get reserved parking. So now back to the tower to get the officials that I made the deal with to have the gassers there and he had to come and make them move. There was some sort of fire to put out the rest of the day Friday then the big storm hit Saturday morning and went on until the race was over. By the time it was all said and done it was 1:30 in the morning so I went to bed. Got up Sunday morning and picked up that 1/2 mile of caution tape, stakes and all of the trash left behind that was in the Southeast Gassers area.
    Cynthia is one of the unsung hero's involved in all of this, she is always there every second helping when she can and watching me spend our retirement on this dream of mine.
    Multiply all this by 9 races and this is just what goes on at the track. Not even getting into what happens through the week.
    One day it's going to be the best era correct Gassers deal in the world or I'll die trying.

RileyRacing, Gotgas, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  3. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

One day it's going to be the best era correct Gassers deal in the world........already is!

4. YES IT IS

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Y'all I think it's getting there pretty quick for sure.

mad mikey, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  6. glrbird

glrbird

Maybe you could use CRIME SCENE tape, that might help. I wished I lived closer to your area, I grew up watching gassers, and your group makes me feel young again.

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  7. Car is starting to come around. For Knoxville, changed transmission, clutch, carbs and scaled the car for pre-load. It now leaves straight, shifts the best ever and carbs were spot-on. Plugs were near perfect. Still only ran 7.40...with a broken rocker arm. For Montgomery we'll adjust the rear for a harder hit and fix the rocker. After that we're off for 6 wks. Will hunt for engine power then. KNOX3.jpg KNOX6.jpg

T-roaster, TFoch, OahuEli and 8 others like this.
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Man ........ your car looks so cool.
    What weight did the car come in at?

From what I see on Facebook, your car is a major hit at the track.
    God Bless!
    Glenn

Quain Stott likes this.
  9. With me in it--2645# I'm 180#. I have to weigh 3014 for C/G in the SEG. Right in the middle of A/G and C/G. Since I have nothing at all for A/G, I am going to heavy up to C/G.
    People like the oddball underdog. I'll wait for winter for a nice paint job. Got a few ideas going.

3dnsouth, Dog_Patch and Quain Stott like this.
  10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your exactly right it is a major hit with the fans at the track. I get tons of Southeast gasser fan mail and a lot of it is people saying how they like Robert's car. I have the announcer tell about it being home built and that really get's the true gear heads attention.

11. Thank You Quain

Uncledirty616 and Quain Stott like this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

13. This is what it is all about. As Dale Wilson likes to say, AS REAL AS IT GETS!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  14. Saturday night in Montgomery I was reminded why we buy good bellhousings.
    I thank GOD and Lakewood for my feet! IM015097.JPG IM015098.JPG IM015101.JPG

tomkelly88, enloe, Dog_Patch and 2 others like this.
  15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

When did this happen ?

16. That could have turned out real bad. I am glad you had a Lakewood.

It looks like a piece broke from the block. Is it saveable?

17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Bert

Glad you are OK, boy you dodged a bullet there as there was lots of stuff flying around

I was lucky that I never had a clutch come apart as the Schiefer units were pretty bullet proof

Also I had a cast iron Wedge Eng bell housing for safety

DND

18. rt1976

rt1976
    from indy

Sorry to see. What do you think happened? I also saw you were looking for fiberglass parts. I got mine from Glasstek in Illinois. for my 66 I think they have what you need for yours as well.

19. On my run with you. Remember, I asked you to be gentle.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  20. I think we can fix the block. Never had a clutch failure before, even with junk clutches. Even new parts can break.
    With everything out, I'm going to freshen the engine and do some head work. We have til Darlington in August with hopefully some tests at Bristol in between.

21. I think one of the eye bolts broke to start the party. I found only one broken in the pile. Thanks, I'll give Glasstek a look.

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Was that a SFI Race Clutch ?

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Rusty brings out the best in everybody. He is mad after the long drive and has no mercy.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  24. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Yea. I remember. But I'm pretty sure I had nothing to do with that..lol.

Time slip showed you red lighted. I didn't notice until I looked at the slip. Did that start coming apart on the line?

25. Yes it was.

26. I don't know, I think maybe you did. I just don't know how yet! It came apart when I went for second. You probably couldn't see cause you were looking at the sky.

27. Tested with Zak Hall last night. Car is starting to come around. Since Montgomery we've changed just about everything but the short block. Even got the car named. On a really marginal track we had a good test, believe it or not. No bite, car was all over the place, but when go straight the wheels were even coming up in second and moving pretty good. Carbs are really lean, we'll re-jet and go on to test at Bristol this week. It's not all about the number, sometimes you find your problems before towing 4 or 5 hrs to find them. Time and $$$ saved.

28. For the first time all year, due to parts breakage, we've been testing. It's hard to test with everything broken. We messed with everything--rear ratio, trans ratio, pistons, heads, carbs, shock package, weight and we beat on everything else! Finally feel good in the car. Guaranteed to be different. Hope it's all for the good. Can't wait for Darlington. TEST2.JPG

29. hemislave

hemislave

HEMIBERT, are you planning on being at Clay City Ky. in Sept.? I hope so, it will be my only chance to see The Southeast Gassers!

Quain Stott likes this.
  30. Hemislave - now that's funny ;) we have the same master :D