Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Another bad wreck involving a hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Jul 28, 2016.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Prayers going out for full recovery for Ron and both girls. Bob

jackandeuces likes this.
  2. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Doctor has cleared Ron for surgery .... LA ron jack az.jpg

3. That's a step in the right direction,thank you Jack for the update.HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Prayers for Ron and his granddaughters. Hope they throw the book at the idiot who caused the accident.

5. Think for a moment,the idiot could have very well been one of us,whether the accident was due to negligence or the driver really didn't see the roadster the damage is done and Ron and his granddaughters are now paying the price.

I would imagine the truck driver is going through his own personal hell with the thoughts of hurting those precious young girls and knowing Ron is in critical condition.

It's situations like this that test peoples faith,especially Christians,I have also prayed for the truck driver. HRP

6. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Prayers for Ron, the girls and the Tundra driver......

jackandeuces and Thor1 like this.
  7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

That is good to hear! Hope the surgery is successful and he can make a full recovery! Are the little girls doing well? More prayers on the way! Joe

jackandeuces likes this.
  8. Lil32

Lil32

r010-017.jpg I took this photo at LARS this year, is this Ron's car. Prayers for his recovery
    Noel

9. satts

satts

Hope Ron makes a full recovery. Went on a cruise with Ron , my brother and others from Des Moines toOhio. This year my bro. Tom repaired Ron's clutch problem. God bless this family.

10. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prayers for a complete recovery for the victims and their families.
    Jim

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. So many people know Ron. Is he a member on here?

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hoping for the best. Personally I do not trust any other driver and. I told my kids that many years ago. Defence is the prudent way to go. Just out of curiosity I wonder if Ron's car frame still had it's horn if it would have made any difference?

14. From what I have read a horn wouldn't have helped. HRP

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I know that stretch of road well, I travel it every afternoon. Just past where the truck crossed over to go back the other direction is a drop off. If Ron was just coming up that hill, the other driver probably didn't see him unless he stopped while crossing the 4 lane, which I doubt he did. He probably looked when he pulled out of the old club lot, gassed it, and never looked again when he came into the other lane. He would have been better off to have turned around at the Bullington Lumber yard or went on down to the bottom of the hill since visibility is so limited where he did turn. He was probably in a hurry and made a bad decision. It happens.

I was rear ended 3 weeks ago about 5 miles south of there, same highway. I was sitting at a red light and another truck rear ended my trailer. Why he couldn't see 4 brake lights I don't know, but he didn't.

The37Kid likes this.
  16. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

We've just been putting belts in my father in laws 30 Chevy coupe. We both kind of laugh about it because it's nothing but tin and splinters. Still, I guess it gives you a modicum of relief that maybe at the very least they'll keep you in the car.

All our prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I've had the good fortune to have met Ron and spend some time with him. Great guy who really puts the miles on his cars. I personally don't know anyone who drives their hot rods more than he does. This news saddens me and confirms the fact that we are not always in control of what happens in our lives. I will be praying for his recovery and the continued healing of his granddaughters. Please keep posting the updates.

18. cfmvw

cfmvw

Glad that they all survived, although it sounds like it's going to be a long-term recovery process for him. I often think of stuff like this when I take my car out; I've had people tailgate me, cut me off, and a couple of times I was even run off the road. Guess there are too many other distractions to divert attention from the task of driving...

19. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Yes ..hotrod3w

lothiandon1940 and gtrhotrod like this.
  20. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

yes Ron;s Roadster

lothiandon1940 and gtrhotrod like this.
  21. verde742

verde742

.......And , apparently, "rodsters."
    Not that it matters one iota. :([/QUOTE]

When the local "man" pulled me over to look at my '29 tudor, ask " what year is it? " I told him, He asks "did you buy it new?"
    I knew we had problems, I am 72, If I got it the day I was born, :mad: I would be 87 years old.
    :eek:Who the heck wouldn't change his "body language" at that point? Idiot !!!

Not that it matters.....

lothiandon1940, slack and The37Kid like this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sorry, I forgot the "s" on frame horns. So no, a horn would have had no effect but those two frame horns may have. I have always thought chopping them off may look cool but these old cars need every bit of protection they can get. Any news on Ron today?

23. My bad,but from the looks of whats left of the frame I honestly don't think the frame horns would have lessened the impact. HRP

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Looking at the picture, it looks like the engine is still pretty much in place, I think the motor mounts held up.

Actually, a car like that has some nice "crumple zones", though we hate to think of them that way. But as the axle/wishbones/frame bend up, they absorbe energy. That's a good thing. The worst thing about these cars is the hard interior surfaces, especially the dash, and the steering column/wheel. My car has a bad column arrangement, just the straight shaft into the box with no couplings or intermediate shafts. In a hard front end crash that can be deadly. In the case of this accident, the windshield looks pushed out from the inside, indicating somebody hit it hard. I'm afraid that's probably what caused the worst injuries. Seat belts can help reduce these injuries, but lap belts alone (that's all I have in my car) can only do so much. 3 & 4 point belt systems can prevent a lot more, but just don't look good in a traditional hot rod.

As a motorcyclist for many years, you deal with this issue all the time. I think the hot rod does offer a modicum of additional protection, you're not as likely to get road rash anyway. Every time you go out, you have to keep it all in mind and do all you can to stay safe. On a bike, I practiced emergency avoidance and braking maneuvers all the time, practicing them was just part of a daily commute. Not so much in the car.

Prayers for healing to Ron and his grand daughters, and for guidance for their dr's. May he fully recover, but the older we get the slower we heal up.

oldsjoe likes this.
  25. thequietwon

thequietwon

I've talked to Ron only briefly, but know the car well. I've seen it at the last 2 Shades of the Past shows, and have been in under and all over that car checking it out. For those that have asked, the frame horns on a Deuce with any kind of stance are so close to the ground that they wouldn't offer any protection except for maybe keeping your grill from hitting a curb. Prayers from east TN as well...

lothiandon1940 and jackandeuces like this.
  26. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I've always felt that driving a hotrod is akin to riding a motorcycle. Always be on the defensive and keep your head on a swivel. Trouble has a way of seeking you out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobss396 and Blues4U like this.
  27. Very Sad!....I wish them all the best for a complete recovery.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Thoughts and prayers for Ron and the girls.

29. I have 3-point belts in my Ford up front, tough to do on a roadster though.

30. Rand Man

Rand Man

Bad news. This guy was very active in our scene and has lots of friends. Prayers for full recovery for all.

jackandeuces likes this.